Flying Boat Seaplane build

leaded50

Legendary member
This one ill try relax build then... (typical it wouldnt happend here either..:sneaky:)
I have not any typical flying sea boat in my "hangar2

Idea is to be appox. 1100 - 1200mm wingspan. One motor or two , i aint decided fully yet.
First ideas was the Russian Beriev Be -4 ( KOR 2) i like the fuselage style... unsure of the huge motorcowling...
Then the Fairchild 91 (The Baby Clipper) ..quite similar fuselage, motorcowling is a little smaller, but outstanding of design here too..
then begin wonder about two motors... as eg. the Dornier have some nice ones.. the Grumman Goose looks nice, and,and.....
Well, i started with fuselage, and will se what it turns to.

Attachments

• Beriev Be-4.jpg
    Beriev Be-4.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Fairchild-91-1.jpg
    Fairchild-91-1.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 0

Apis

This one ill try relax build then... (typical it wouldnt happend here either..:sneaky:)

Idea is to be appox. 1100 - 1200mm wingspan. One motor or two , i aint decided fully yet.
First ideas was the Russian Beriev Be -4 ( KOR 2) i like the fuselage style... unsure of the huge motorcowling...
Then the Fairchild 91 (The Baby Clipper) ..quite similar fuselage, motorcowling is a little smaller, but outstanding of design here too..
then begin wonder about two motors... as eg. the Dornier have some nice ones.. the Grumman Goose looks nice, and,and.....

I don't know why.... But I want you to use a contra-rotating power system in this build. Like this one.
https://www.google.com/search?q=con..._AUIBygC&biw=414&bih=607#imgrc=BwfNIG32lZkzSM

Feels.... Right. Gives you something to put in that large engine bay.

GrizWiz

Elite member

Wow that looks cool 😊
I don't know why.... But I want you to use a contra-rotating power system in this build. Like this one.
https://www.google.com/search?q=con..._AUIBygC&biw=414&bih=607#imgrc=BwfNIG32lZkzSM

Feels.... Right. Gives you something to put in that large engine bay.
I think that would look cool but not scale though! Good idea!

leaded50

Legendary member
i have a 41mm motor with approx 2kg thrust too though... thats ment for 14x 5 prop? Ibelive on this plane eg. a 3 blade 9" will fit best.

leaded50

Legendary member
next, i saw this can be superb as wooden shoes (as traditional Netherland style) ..... but my feet was too small, and the "stupid" V- shaped sole, did made it pretty stupid to walk in.....
DSC_0314.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
Some "aerotech" : If see at the Fairchild, the engine was placed at top over the wing. That gave pitchproblems.
The Beriev optimized the propeller thrust air for help on eg.lift/control surfaces on main wing, and then easier take-offs and solve the pitch effect, by engine be on the wing, giving airstream, both over & under wing.
This is a princip used by many airplane producers that time, and even used today. Russians have build many planes using inverted seagull wings for shorter bracing to sidefloats, or seagull typed to have enough space to the fuselage or water for the propellers. Even the US Corsair used it, for enough clearance for their big prop on low winged airplane.

At least after reading some aerotech info... the Fairchilds type with the motor on a nacelle placed on struts over the wing, wouldnt be on my build.. here the Bereiev style fits me better, and believed will be a better flyer.

leaded50

Legendary member
i like the W - style of the Beriev wing... also see that will give extra work though....
Since the wingspan gonna be "too big" (at least as i feel) i want possibillity to detach wing... since motor is gonna be on the wing, its more efficient for later in use, to build the whole centerpart at fuselage, and just detach the outer wingparts from where it get dihedral. Build pockets for struts from the wing into middle part, that of course need be strong enough. I use plywood & paintsticks.
If build the whole middel section, motor eg at fuselage, its just the two aileron connectors to do. Wings will be secured against middlesection with strong magnets.
- its some work though, to start getting this at place... On picture its glued against the vertical reinforcement for wing and motor, and taped support and a barbeque stick to get it right til Gorilla glue dries... here i dont want hot glue only... looks really weird though ;).

Attachments

• DSC_0317.JPG
    DSC_0317.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
i like the W - style of the Beriev wing... also see that will give extra work though....
Since the wingspan gonna be "too big" (at least as i feel) i want possibillity to detach wing... since motor is gonna be on the wing, its more efficient for later in use, to build the whole centerpart at fuselage, and just detach the outer wingparts from where it get dihedral. Build pockets for struts from the wing into middle part, that of course need be strong enough. I use plywood & paintsticks.
If build the whole middel section, motor eg at fuselage, its just the two aileron connectors to do. Wings will be secured against middlesection with strong magnets.
- its some work though, to start getting this at place... On picture its glued against the vertical reinforcement for wing and motor, and taped support and a barbeque stick to get it right til Gorilla glue dries... here i dont want hot glue only... looks really weird though ;).
I was wondering what the constructed spider leg was doing. Good work so far. "freehand" always take longer for me. I like your shoe guidance.

leaded50

Legendary member
"spider legs" was necessary to get it o stay in correct place till the gorilla Glue have dried enough. :). Frehand scratch, without plans, is a bit try & fail, or luck... and takes more time yes, when its constructions thats unconventional for foamplanes. It looked as a wood-shoe!! :D:ROFLMAO::LOL:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
No, it looks amazing. Keep at it. I was just poking fun at the "spider leg", I absolutely understand quick temporary yet important scaffolding. You will be happy with the results.

leaded50

Legendary member
I didnt take it as "harsh" critism :ROFLMAO::LOL: ha,ha. @FoamyDM .
I plan use time at this build...trying out also different ideas in my head on solutions. and.. not everything is planned enough up front... as the spar there... it didnt hold where it should at start, so needed use extra tape around to get it fast stay! (there too :ROFLMAO: ha,ha)
But the infamous W - wing i wanna make... i made most others, straight, dihedral, anhedral, and seagull, this is something new without experience to make.

I even found out ive done a "minor" error in calculating.. so wingspan will be closer to 1400mm or a touch more, than 1180mm as planned.
and i see weight calculation perhaps get higherthan believed, so ordered new motor today... and found that i had another as strong i could used... well, then i have one extra :-D

The shop who send me foamboard are changing locality, and is delayed shipping.. well, time to think out other ideas :)

Last edited: