FTFC21 - Seaplane Design & Build by Leaded50, Yokosuka 12-Shi Special Flying Boat (H7Y)

leaded50

Legendary member
one thing... after done your 3D view....its time to think over if the plane could be flyable, check with CG /wing loading calculator if possible will fly. Rework, if necessarry move surfaces eg. to get it ok.

Building isnt whats take most time normally... its all the other up front.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
here is the plane that I am making: would it be better to just make it box shaped? I thought to make master series style as it looks better and it is a lot stronger. I have been having problems with my square planes, tons of them, that it is easy to break at the seams. if I could fix that problem, and find out how to scale up form a 3 view to that, maybe it would be easier to make it square.

Attachments

• deHavillandDHC-2BeaverMkIII turbo 3 view_695.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
here is the plane that I am making: would it be better to just make it box shaped? I thought to make master series style as it looks better and it is a lot stronger. I have been having problems with my square planes, tons of them, that it is easy to break at the seams. if I could fix that problem, and find out how to scale up form a 3 view to that, maybe it would be easier to make it square.
have you tried reinforce seams? Eg, using a bit foamboard or cardboard glued inside/outside on the seam? That will do a lot in strength.
Every computer program for .pdf files, photos eg, can resize.
Your plane is pretty square orginally, without the front/cowl. Use both techniques. Master build the front, square build rest of fuselage. (in my opinion for best look.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
have you tried reinforce seams? Eg, using a bit foamboard or cardboard glued inside/outside on the seam? That will do a lot in strength.
Every computer program for .pdf files, photos eg, can resize.
the part I hate about bilding planes is putting together tiled plans. I could probably just scale up by hand, just thought now, that reinforcing the seams would y=use way too much hot glue adn bad looks. Could I, since that plane needs to resemble a square plane, could I for strength just wrap around aonther layer of foam just liek a little bit circular, no formers, just for strength? or would it not help? I will master build the front, thanks for the good idea.

leaded50

Legendary member
the part I hate about bilding planes is putting together tiled plans. I could probably just scale up by hand, just thought now, that reinforcing the seams would y=use way too much hot glue adn bad looks. Could I, since that plane needs to resemble a square plane, could I for strength just wrap around aonther layer of foam just liek a little bit circular, no formers, just for strength? or would it not help? I will master build the front, thanks for the good idea.
if make reinforcing at seams on inside, it dont disturb the look.
Of course you can make it two.layers, but remember it also gives more weight... if done only rear, you get a more tail heavy plane, eg.
or you can also make it an extra layer just inside on where seams are. Its up tp you.
If square or rounded master-style, it wouldnt be differences in strength. Formers eg, are used to get a specific shape on outside skins, and get them stay such. the batterybox/power pod/ spars eg. who make differences in strength on fuselage.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
if make reinforcing at seams on inside, it dont disturb the look.
Of course you can make it two.layers, but remember it also gives more weight... if done only rear, you get a more tail heavy plane, eg.
or you can also make it an extra layer just inside on where seams are. Its up tp you.
thanks for all your help, @leaded50. I have one more question. you make such amazing planes, but how do you digitize your plans?

leaded50

Legendary member
and i dont see your problem exactly here.. you shared a fully 3D view on a plane, then it would be very easy decide the size on the plane you want, and also resize it such, and remove 5mm outside to make vertical/horizontal even X- or + shaped spars in the fuselage.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
and i dont see your problem exactly here.. you shared a fully 3D view on a plane, then it would be very easy decide the size on the plane you want, and also resize it such, and remove 5mm outside to make vertical/horizontal even X- or + shaped spars in the fuselage.
no I mean like the formers, that I already, as it was easier for me, drew out by hand.

leaded50

Legendary member
no I mean like the formers, that I already, as it was easier for me, drew out by hand.
Easy make formers on that plane yes. Where you want them, is up to you decide where they fir best to give strength, and keep skins in the shapes wanted.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Easy make formers on that plane yes. Where you want them, is up to you decide where they fir best to give strength, and keep skins in the shapes wanted.
how do I digitize those formers, adn for example the enlarged tail. it is all on lined paper. would just scanning work?

leaded50

Legendary member
on that plane, in 100% size it shows if wanted a former by the exhaustports, approx 0.9mm height, and 1.2 width on former ( - thickens off foam for skin) .... and since the last part of cowl is round to the prop, the former should also get a rounded shape. If making a former by the front of windshield, its got more square, but by the look of the lower edge of window it still have some roundness, but belly have got pretty flat. and so on.... if find pictures of the plane, you will also the easyer the shapes on plane... ig are rounded or squared to tail eg...

leaded50

Legendary member
"so easy" was it to make bottom. Cut to fit on formers and to the sides of the horizontal fuselage spar, and push it against formers to make the shape.
After that, just cut easy from side whens skins are on, level at rear, beveled up front for remove prop water spray.

DSC_0784.JPG
DSC_0785.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
working with get right angle of incident on wing, pluss level to the tail by use of vaterpass!
DSC_0786.JPG

last check before gluing

DSC_0787.JPG

to construct the center part top/bottom on the gull-wing, it was easyer to get the fit, when are on the fuselage. Such can be, when working without ready shaped plans. When parts are in place, its easy trace the pattern of the parts.

leaded50

Legendary member
it "starts looking" as a plane ;)

To shape wing in center section, its used a top and bottom skin curbed and glued together at front LE, and trailing edge (TE) + spar. It was only way when make the gullwing. I didnt need it, because foamboard used, but perhaps some need make a few relief cuts at LE, and/or TE to shape it best possible.

DSC_0788.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
not in shape today, bit sick (again) but did make the floats ready. 2mm plywood, 2k epoxyglue and some blue foam fixed it.
Found to make them retractable wasnt wanted here. (at moment at least)
They are ment to be screwed in place with servo screws at a plywoodplate glued into wing.
DSC_0789.JPG
if

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I am sorry that you are sick, but thanks or all your help or me. could you please make a quick guideline of about 10 simple steps in order to make a master series style nose, like for min. thanks for everything, @leaded50

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Use a 3 view and make some fuselage formers. Then trial and error till it works.
could you be a slight bit more specific and number like 5 steps? and if possible just for designing planes in all too. this is my plane that I am making:

Attachments

• deHavillandDHC-2BeaverMkIII turbo 3 view_695 (1).pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 0

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
could you be a slight bit more specific and number like 5 steps? and if possible just for designing planes in all too. this is my plane that I am making:
Well it isn’t too complicated. I would recommend starting with a simple design. Get balsa plans of it with formers just so you have something to go off of. Cut it all out and either use paper or trial and error to get the shapes right. Make sure you have good formers for it or else you will have a wonky looking plane.
TLDR small simple design and good plans for formers and time should be good.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Well it isn’t too complicated. I would recommend starting with a simple design. Get balsa plans of it with formers just so you have something to go off of. Cut it all out and either use paper or trial and error to get the shapes right. Make sure you have good formers for it or else you will have a wonky looking plane.
TLDR small simple design and good plans for formers and time should be good.
how do I align the formers? so that they are at the right distance and at the right angle. also, if I cut rectangles, the skins do not fit. for now I got some kind of nose done, but do not like it. I use barbecue skewers for alignment. how can I make a tail and wing for it? they are supposed t be non master series, btu need to be as strong as possible.