Flying Boat Seaplane build

leaded50

Legendary member
this, is the best tool i have for finding eg. incident angle, motor/ thrust angle, dihedral and such. Had it in many years form use on car repairs... after started building planes, its got even another good use :)

Attachments

• angle finder.jpg
    angle finder.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
Gosh, you are moving fast!
fast? made the midsectionpart yesterday, and nacelle today...
system for wing detachment was ready from before, made as used as a spar. Even the side supports was ready, just to put in place.
I even reduced the diameter of the huge nacelle by approx 10%... it looks big anyway :D

leaded50

Legendary member
a "bad" sleepless night again, so then rearend and vertical tailfin on fuselage is done too. + exhaustports and extra intake for ESC cooling on top of the motor nacelle with hatch.
Its open at bottom middle section of fuselage yet, to get to fix water-rudder, and eg. cables from rudder/elevator.

DSC_0320.JPG
DSC_0318 (1).JPG

Apis

a "bad" sleepless night again, so then rearend and vertical tailfin on fuselage is done too. + exhaustports and extra intake for ESC cooling on top of the motor nacelle with hatch.
Its open at bottom middle section of fuselage yet, to get to fix water-rudder, and eg. cables from rudder/elevator.

View attachment 178022 View attachment 178023

Gorgeous. Beautiful. This is foam board right? How do you do this witchcraft?

leaded50

Legendary member
Gorgeous. Beautiful. This is foam board right? How do you do this witchcraft?
Thanks! Its by foambord yes. done same way as the masterbuild style at some FT models (shown on FT videos, eg.), Parts of fuselage is rounded by gentle strokes at table edge. Here its not a fully rounded shapes though, its ended to "hull" bottom where it meet the V- shaped flat foam.

leaded50

Legendary member
laid down the camo paint today. Had less green than believed.. well, a touch more brown then! :) Gonna be a bit darker fully dried though (just need repaint the caanopycolors also...)
waterrudder is connected to rudder servo eg.. (the waterudder "axle" goes in a tube through the fuselage, then it can not give any waterleaks. )

DSC_0324.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0321.JPG
    DSC_0321.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0322.JPG
    DSC_0322.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
last servo/pushrod mounted. And got a "sprayduct", to ensure not waterspray from the pontoon splashes direct on it.

The build is closing to end.... if correct, the motor can be picked up at postoffice tomorow, correct 3blade props i got a few days ago, ecs i have, well, need lend a reciver from another plane though.. more recivers and a dummy motor are in mail.. One layer clearcoat to ensure watertightness, and make shine on paint, thats ready.

Attachments

• DSC_0328.JPG
    DSC_0328.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
last servo/pushrod mounted. And got a "sprayduct", to ensure not waterspray from the pontoon splashes direct on it.

The build is closing to end.... if correct, the motor can be picked up at postoffice tomorow, correct 3blade props i got a few days ago, ecs i have, well, need lend a reciver from another plane though.. more recivers and a dummy motor are in mail.. One layer clearcoat to ensure watertightness, and make shine on paint, thats ready.
Awesome!

leaded50

Legendary member
a few more pics..
the motor nacelle have an opening on approx 4.5".... dummymotor is perfect here, and in mail.
Floats pretty good in glidetest. Next is testing how it floats in water.....

At end it get 1000mm long, wingspan: 1320mm, total weight with a 2200 mAh 3S, and given weight of motor: 1292g
A touch more wingspan than planned at start, weight estimate fitted nicely.

Rear "shooter"- turrent is made (hopefully) watertight closed, to use for reciver space. Battery up front under cocpit(space even for 6S eg... and ESC in the motor at top in nacelle.

DSC_0332.JPG
DSC_0331.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
The Be-4 was made as observationplane for use at battle cruisers (47 made) , launched by catapult at flight, and craned up at boat after. Thats reason for the orange top part on vertical tailfin, and perfect for see better the way of flight as model. Craneoperator should see better rearend of plane in night.
Whole underside of wings, nacelle, horizontal tail and belly, are in silvergrey color.

For me personally, i like the sleek nice lines of the plane.....just the huge motor nacelle stands out. A later model (Be-6 ?) they made it with a smaller one, but also made changes of fuselage that lost the nice design, and the W (inverted seagull )- wing. The W shaped wing is one of main factors of the unique in design here :)
DSC_0329.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Great looking Plane! a lot a great details, I can't wait for you to put this on the water/in the air.
hoped for a floattest today... but now the "flood" is poring down :confused: (raining heavy)

Each open edge/connection on foamboard is reinforced and "shut" by PVA/wood glue, before paint, and extra protective layer of clear coat over hole plane, against moisture.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
The 2814 motor showed up today, and got installed. Perfect for the 9.5 x 7 3-blade prop at 4S, with a thrust approx 600+ g more than the plane weights. Well it are a touch under approx. 1/2 inch clearance to fuselage, but thats enough :) its no movement there. No difficulty go off at grass. (just too short yard here..)
Install the dummy 9cyl. radial motor when it comes, some adjustments on the ailerons, and its ready!
Now with a "stolen" reciver though (from another of my planes) . It couldnt even setup throttle "lock".. and battery is under the cockpit.. dangerous near fingers...
! need some nice weather, with the rain stopped, to go on a watertest. (the plane can take water.. not so much me.. :ROFLMAO:)

I got a few minutes "between raindrops", to take a few pics more:

DSC_0338.JPG
DSC_0339.JPG