FTFC23: Build-ruary by Inq: Inq'd FT MM DR1 Triplane

Inq

Elite member
As of this morning, I haven't even broken the seal. I'll be using the kit and Josh's video in lock step on this DR1 and my custom Fokker D.VIII so I can make sure I get all the steps completed properly. ;)

PXL_20230201_110733677.jpg

Back to Inq's top level Build-ruary...

Inq

Elite member
I have been eyeing that kit for awhile now. I am looking forward to your review and maiden.
Are you heading up to Flightfest?

I got this kit mainly because it sounded like it is easy to fly. I need that... still a very novice pilot. Also... cutting the scalloped trailing edges doesn't sound very easy with a razor blade. Mine won't be as nice as some I've seen here... especially those using skins.

Flitefest... I'm thinking about it. But I don't have a topper for my pickup truck... and can't carry as many things as I'd want.

Yankee2003

I got this kit mainly because it sounded like it is easy to fly. I need that... still a very novice pilot. Also... cutting the scalloped trailing edges doesn't sound very easy with a razor blade. Mine won't be as nice as some I've seen here... especially those using skins.

Flitefest... I'm thinking about it. But I don't have a topper for my pickup truck... and can't carry as many things as I'd want.

Cutting scallops is easier than you think. The trick is to cut each scallop essentially independent. I think Josh shows the technique in one of his early build videos. Start your cut off the template and cut the “half circle” scallop on the wing scallop line and continuing the arc off the template.
Then cut the next scallop by the same method. The intersection of your arcing cuts is the pointed area shared by the two scallops that you cut.
Hopefully that makes some sense.

Reactions: Inq

Inq

Elite member
Cutting scallops is easier than you think. The trick is to cut each scallop essentially independent. I think Josh shows the technique in one of his early build videos. Start your cut off the template and cut the “half circle” scallop on the wing scallop line and continuing the arc off the template.
Then cut the next scallop by the same method. The intersection of your arcing cuts is the pointed area shared by the two scallops that you cut.
Hopefully that makes some sense.

Yes, sure does...
The scallops were the main reason for getting the kit AND selecting the D.VIII... since its a cantilever design... I think they actually did plywood skins. I'd really like to do a French Spad. Maybe, I'll give it a try... after FTFC23 :sneaky:

JDSnavely

This was my first FT plane and found it challenging to fly. I recommend maiden on a calm day.
JDS Triplane.jpg
I didn't crash but for a beginner, I had my hands full. I tried safe but it actually flew better without safe. Have not flown it for a while because we get so much wind here. Still one of my favorites beause I have always loved the tri-plane. I will build this again with some modifications. My son turned the bi-plane into a 4 channel plane and it flew great and very fun! It's hard to keep the landing gear from getting damaged, though.

Inq

Elite member
This was my first FT plane and found it challenging to fly. I recommend maiden on a calm day. View attachment 234385 I didn't crash but for a beginner, I had my hands full. I tried safe but it actually flew better without safe. Have not flown it for a while because we get so much wind here. Still one of my favorites beause I have always loved the tri-plane. I will build this again with some modifications. My son turned the bi-plane into a 4 channel plane and it flew great and very fun! It's hard to keep the landing gear from getting damaged, though.

SWEEEEET!

I guess Josh... just makes everything look simple.

JDSnavely

Yes, he does! LOL. My first flight with the Mini Sportster I did a couple rolls and a couple loops in the 1st 30 seconds of flight. All unintentional of course.... but I gained control and didn't crash! My boys and I still laugh about that flight. Josh is certainly right on the making memories part of Flite Test. For that alone I can't thank him enough!

Inq

Elite member
Today I'm working on wings for this FT MM DR-1 and my custom D.VIII. I'm ironing the wing edges. I found a great hint on the forum here, but I didn't bookmark it. Does anyone know who came up with this great idea? On my DTFB planes I cut out, this works fantastic about getting rid of the blunt leading/trailing edges, and hardening up the edges and seems to bond the paper layer as well... WIN, Win, win!

I started this on this Flite Test kit (my first) and I'm noting that the foam core is concave back from the edge. I didn't really notice it on the videos until now. Is that intentional? What causes that? Anyway... ironing the edges isn't working out quite as well on this DR-1.

Side note - Having to do the edges on both sides on three DR-1 wings and the one D.VIII wing, I was frankly getting a little tired holding up the iron. It's not like putting it down on an ironing board. I also caught some edges on the vent holes of the iron. So I was just looking at some irons to solve these issues and found these two on sale with great prices. They're both smaller, lighter...
Anyone have any pro or con tips to something like I'm suggesting?
  1. This one, at least, is a name brand (Sunbeam). It has holes toward the front, but a big section at the back is blank. $15 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057UMYAW/?tag=lstir-20
  2. This one looks kind of cheap, but is smaller, cheaper and has no holes - $13 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096LZV94R/?tag=lstir-20

Inq

Elite member
Today's progress on the FT MM DR-1 Triplane

I'm doing wings first, out of order from Josh's video... mainly because my biggest issue with the D.VIII is the wing and I wanted a tutorial to see if I could glean some tips and problems solvers from the video and practice on the DR-1 before attempting the D.VIII. I did find tips and did find problem solvers, but I still had others and why I show so little progress for today.

Here are the three wings and basically watching the video (step by step) took the longest. The wings were completed in short order. Ironing the edges took longer than assembling them. :)

PXL_20230205_002855336.jpg

Foamforce

Those look great! I’ve ironed the edges of a couple planes recently. I did it on a Delta and it flies so well that I wonder if ironing may have made a significant improvement to the aerodynamics. It’s impossible to tell though because it’s a lot lighter than my old Delta which was certainly the biggest improvement.

I also used a full size iron and it’s not a pleasant experience. I want a sealing iron but they’re all either quite expensive or out of stock. I’m curious if anybody else has experience with that Clover iron.

Lastly, I found that cutting the scallops was pretty easy with an Exacto knife. Also, since it’s already a crooked line, if you make a small mistake, it’s nearly invisible. Another tip on those is to cut your scallop closest to you first, and then work your way away from you. That way your knife crosses the top of the previous cut at the end of the current cut. If you start out by cutting into a cut line, it tends to snag, if that makes sense.

Yankee2003

The sad thing... I know I have two of those back from the '80s when I last was doing balsa/monokote... I know they made the retirement move, but I haven't found them yet. :rolleyes:
They we’re in the box labeled “ old sweatshirts” that you wife said she would load for you.

Inq

Elite member
Those look great!

Don't think I can take credit for the great (and simple) design AND a pre-formed kit. With the video instructions... great is the only way it could come out. All I can do is reduce its greatness. :LOL:

luvmy40

Elite member
I also used a full size iron and it’s not a pleasant experience. I want a sealing iron but they’re all either quite expensive or out of stock. I’m curious if anybody else has experience with that Clover iron.

I ordered one last night. I'll report on it when I get a chance to play with it.

I too have owned a couple Monokote irons in the distant past and have no idea what ever happened to them. 10 years moving around with the military and two divorces tend to make things disapear!

Inq

Elite member
I ordered one last night. I'll report on it when I get a chance to play with it.

I too have owned a couple Monokote irons in the distant past and have no idea what ever happened to them. 10 years moving around with the military and two divorces tend to make things disapear!

Are you primarily doing Monokote? I can see where the that Clover Iron would be great for doing the small corners and such. For myself, ironing the long edges of foamboard wings, I think I'd introduce waviness with something that small. Like trying to cut a strait edge with a coping saw. The normal clothes iron is so-so and I think optimally something in between... along the 4 or 5 inch variety would be best for foamboard. Preferably without the steam feature and bottom holes.

luvmy40

Elite member
I haven't used Monokote in 30 years. I just got it for ironing the foam board edges. I don't build anything but FB planes these days.