FTFC23: Build-ruary by Inq: Inq'd FT MM DR1 Triplane

Inq

Elite member
I painted this DR1 using Apple Barrel acrylics from Wal-Mart using one of those wide flat foam bushes. But note that the streaking was done intentionally for this one.

Looks great. Just the color scheme I want to do.

Tench745

Master member
A note on hand-launching. I fly with my transmitter on a neck strap and launch the plane with my left hand. That way I can use my right hand to set throttle (usually 1/2 -3/4 throttle depending on the plane) then move it back to the right stick so that when I launch I can immediately correct any pitch or roll deviations. I find this preferable to a right-hand launch where you have to get your hand back to the TX immediately after throwing.

mastermalpass

Elite member
A note on hand-launching. I fly with my transmitter on a neck strap and launch the plane with my left hand. That way I can use my right hand to set throttle (usually 1/2 -3/4 throttle depending on the plane) then move it back to the right stick so that when I launch I can immediately correct any pitch or roll deviations. I find this preferable to a right-hand launch where you have to get your hand back to the TX immediately after throwing.

I'm similar - sans-neckstrap. I'm 6'3" tall, so my right hand is big enough to grip my DX6i with a thumb on the stick (FlySky transmitters are much slimmer, if you have smaller hands). I hold the plane in my left hand, then put the transmitter up to my mouth and move the throttle up with my lips.

Like Tench, I used to throw with my right hand, but that half-second where your right hand rushes back into position for the stick is sometimes too much time and your plane clips the ground.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Same on the neck strap and left hand launch.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This was my first FT plane and found it challenging to fly. I recommend maiden on a calm day. View attachment 234385 I didn't crash but for a beginner, I had my hands full. I tried safe but it actually flew better without safe. Have not flown it for a while because we get so much wind here. Still one of my favorites beause I have always loved the tri-plane. I will build this again with some modifications. My son turned the bi-plane into a 4 channel plane and it flew great and very fun! It's hard to keep the landing gear from getting damaged, though.
Awesome job! Looks great. Can't wait to see the rest

Inq

Elite member
I've seen 3 year old's finger paintings that look better than this. I sure hope multiple coats improve this.
PXL_20230226_150248409.jpg

Inq

Elite member
It's "vintage".

Just because wine is aged, doesn't make it good. :LOL:

Actually, I was thinking that in WW I, it was probably ground crew with big house brushes painting the airplanes... especially in Richthofen's Flying Circus. Fortunately, the FT foamboard seems to take paint a lot better. I can live with one coat on it. The plastic that needs to be red has taken three coats and it still looks like finger painting. I've also tried to paint Manfred with leathers and white scarf. I have certainly used up all my artistic abilities.

I watched the Red Baron movie last night for context. Most of it had to be CGI... I can't believe they had that many planes available. I was even watching for details to see if they were using re-creations. One scene showing the flight line starting up and they certainly looked like the old Rhone rotary engines starting up. Cool stuff.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Fortunately, the FT foamboard seems to take paint a lot better. I can live with one coat on it. The plastic that needs to be red has taken three coats and it still looks like finger painting.

What kind of paint are you using on it?

mastermalpass

Elite member
Someone suggested (maybe you ;)) I use acrylics on it... cheaper, easier and no fumes. Seems to be good on the foamboard... pretty crappy on the plastic.

My bad! 😂 I always used to lay acrylics thick onto plastics and tapes, though. They must have different viscocities. Your DR.1 looks great regardless!

Tench745

Master member
I watched the Red Baron movie last night for context. Most of it had to be CGI... I can't believe they had that many planes available. I was even watching for details to see if they were using re-creations. One scene showing the flight line starting up and they certainly looked like the old Rhone rotary engines starting up. Cool stuff.
That was a decent movie. The flying scenes are all CG (and quite unrealistic from a physics standpoint) cut in with closeups of the actors in movie-prop airplanes. I was particularly amused/annoyed at the scene where they're driving a little biplane around and crash it into a haystack. The plane they used is a 3/4 scale replica of the Curtiss Jenny, an American training aircraft that never made it to Europe, and you can see the modern VHF antenna sticking up from the turtledeck.
...Now I want to watch it again...

Yankee2003

That was a decent movie. The flying scenes are all CG (and quite unrealistic from a physics standpoint) cut in with closeups of the actors in movie-prop airplanes. I was particularly amused/annoyed at the scene where they're driving a little biplane around and crash it into a haystack. The plane they used is a 3/4 scale replica of the Curtiss Jenny, an American training aircraft that never made it to Europe, and you can see the modern VHF antenna sticking up from the turtledeck.
I love watching aviation movies. You can almost always find something. If you are into that type of thing go back and watch The Flying Tigers with John Wayne. They have a bunch of …let’s say…Hollywood P-40s sitting on the tarmac. There are several scenes when they are taxing around plywood mock-ups. Good fun.

Inq

Elite member

I was sure about the flying scenes being CG, but there is one scene where they're starting up and I was giving special attention to the engines. They're the first things to get replaced with something modern which won't turn with the prop. They looked like real Rhone engines and it was hard to tell if it was CG or props with real Rhone engines. Now a days, surely they wouldn't trust a real (or even a replica) DR-1 with a Rhone engine. Too many ways to kill the pilot with the engine's nasty habits.

Inq

Elite member
How did you mount/attach the cowl?

The side fairings with the CAD spec'd holes slid over the two lower struts and were hot glued to the sides. They have flanges that indent in and along with the upper brace that holds the upper struts at the proper angles, all slide inside the cowling. If I had time I would have added snapping feature to the cowling. There is plenty of room up inside the cowling to add this feature. As-is, it's fused on with liquid ABS.

D.png

For good pilots... this wouldn't be joining the fleet of "Swappables". I don't think I could get all the other pieces out without tearing up the plane. This is no big deal in my case... if it lasts, I don't mind the $18 worth of motor/ESC being permanent fixtures in it. If it doesn't last, I have no qualms about tearing them out. ;)

Inq

Elite member
How did you mount/attach the cowl?

Edit: I thought we were in my D.VIII thread. The DR-1 has the same concept for side fairing, but obviously, doesn't have the upper brace for struts. In the DR-1 you can slide a screwdriver in the Fokker air holes and unscrew the top two screws and lower two are easily accessible from the front. The motor and all other gear probably could be removed. Servos are glued in though like most FT planes.