Full fuse one sheet ugly stik

jpot1

Elite member
Well I was inspired by ViperTech's one sheet 40" thread, built it, flew it, and wanted to make further tweaks (http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...40-inch-wingspan-1-sheet-of-foam-board-OH-YES!). I recently saw another post asking for an FT designed ugly stik. The two concepts clicked in my mind and hence the one sheet ugly stik was born. I am following ViperTech with a flat wing with kfm2 but am changing things up with a center section and then the two wing halves attached.

IMG_0504.JPG

Started cutting, more pictures to follow. The sketch on the foam are the basic dimensions, I am then tailoring it to be more ugly stik-ish by angling the elevator and rounding corners. I will add the scallop cuts as well. Using an old pill container for the curved radius.

IMG_0505.JPG

More to follow...

jpot1

Elite member
Build went quickly. Started with the fuse using standard FT methods. Remove the foam and B fold for the fuse sides. I added a piece of paint stick if I decide to add landing gear later.

IMG_0507.JPG

I use a shortened power pod - basically the normal size one cut after the first set of tabs. Since there is really no place to put the tabs on this build I added a doubler to the top hatch and will use BBQ skewers for mounting of the pod.

IMG_0509.JPG

Took the wing portion, 5" chord, which is the full width of a sheet of DTFB and cut it in half. Added the middle section of the wing, taped on one side and then a bead of hot glue. At 2.5" from the edge I did a 50% score cut with tape on the outside. Double bevel wider than normal and the slowly folded over to create the kfm2.

IMG_0511.JPG

Hot glue down the bevel and also on the back of the kfm panel and I used a scrap piece of wood to fold over and hold everything down.

IMG_0512.JPG

Used a roll of packing tape to make a template for the scalloped curve and then cut that out of the wing and elevator.

IMG_0513.JPG

jpot1

Elite member
Servos mounted. Elevator servo is in the fuse. I use dental flossers cut down for control horns. Wing dry fit to see how it looked together...not bad, definitely not scale.

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

ViperTech

Looking very good! Hope you can get a video of it in flight!

OH try the video again, I had it set to private should be public now.

jpot1

Elite member
Added the aileron servos and attached the wing. Went ahead and added the smallest landing gear I own. Cut a hatch to mount the battery. Should balance nicely with a 1300 3s basically right at the cg- starting at 1.5" back from the LE of the wing.

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

jpot1

Elite member
Sadly the maiden did not go well. I knew my motor / battery combo was a bit heavy but during a turn when my wings ended up in a v shape it was all over. Vipertech what motor/battery combo were you using?

ViperTech

I am using an older motor from Heads UP RC. It is a 400 slow fly motor.

Power Up 400 Slofly Specifications:Weight = 1.8 ounces (52 grams)
Diameter = 1.1 inch (28 mm)
Motor length = 1.1 inch (28 mm)
Bearing: 3.17mm x 8mm x 4mm
Shaft = 1/8 inch x 0.4 inch (3.17mm x 10 mm)
Voltage = 7.2 - 13.0
Current = maximum of 12 amps for 30 seconds
KV = 930
power up.jpg
I run a 1300 or 1500 3s battery

I use a 9 x 4.7 slowfly prop.

Sadly they don't make that motor any more but with that low kv you can run a big prop and have plenty of power.

Did you put a spar in?

If you don't have a spar that's long enough you can use several bbq skewers overlapped on the ends by a couple inches.