Going Full Kiss - Martian 220mm Build Log

jipp

looks good :)

im not sure what my next project is gonna be.. i have a couple of options.. im thinking a tricopter tho.

my health has been blah so iv not done much.. took a bad fall last weekend and been in bed most of the week.

hope you all stay healthy.. being broken sucks. laughs.
chrsi.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My Kiss FC also has the boot button. That makes life really easy. I think right now mine will either go onto a 5 inch alien frame or the Charpu edition 210 frame. Still need to get money in the pocket to align with ESC's in stock at the same time before I get that far. but will be doing the red motors as well as the full kiss set up in one of those two frames.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Thanks guys. Charging batteries right now. I had a little issue the other day where my FC would not connect to the computer or respond to anything. Just a green light. Turns out I had accidentally bridged the positive from the power in on the board to a nearby pad of unknown use. I managed to get it unbridged and it worked again just fine.

I got Chad's 5" alien with GoPro tune loaded up to see how he likes he PIDs. I'll probably end up doing a tuning session soon anyhow. Hoping to get out to the field later today to film some stuff. Stay tuned.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I got out today to fly as well. It was windy but I did it anyway. FINALLY got my portable dvr to work and got some video straight off the monitor. AND to top it all off no crashes as I was cautious for the most part.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Sounds like a good day flying. Unfortunately I got to the field, but there was a baseball game or two going on so I did not fly. Instead I did some location scouting nearby for future videos. I'll try to get out tomorrow for the maiden.

jipp

hmm, i will have to look to see if the kiss FC i bought has a button.. hope so.. id rather do that than solder jumpers.
chris

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Finally here is the maiden. I really wanted to do it at the field, but two days in a row the field was not clear for use. So here's the maiden in my backyard. Please excuse my LOS and flip skills. I haven't flown a miniquad in months and there are many things to hit in my backyard.

First thing I noticed is that the quad hovered super stable. Like my ZMR with the best PIDs stable, except this was with preloaded PIDs. Second thing is that the motors sound out of sync at very low throttle values. Once you start hovering it is fine, but listen right as the motors spool up.

After a pretty quick first flight test I upped the rates a tad and started doing flips. Flips right now are about the same as my ZMR. The recovery is a little faster, but there is still some kickback after each flip. I think this may be a D gain issue, but I have had the same thing on my ZMR and it was not helped by increasing D gain.

Vids a little long so skip around if you like. Half of it is tripod footage so sorry you can't see the flips. The other half is on board footage of some flip practice.

Crashed a few times, but everything including props held up. My camera likes to fly off though.

jipp

looks very stable. looks good. i wish i had a back yard as uncluttered as yours.. heh

looks like it has more than enough power. i could not really hear the sound you mention.. but i did not turn my speakers up full blast either.

looks like you will have some fun toys in the hanger to fly this summer.

my brother came buy today, i gave him the spare TX that came with my BNF blade as i have a dx6i.

anyhow he is gonna buy nano qx, or a indutrix. so i think i will be ordering parts for another zmr build for him.
dunno why but i enjoy building the zmr frame :D. my new phew is hooked on the idea on flying objects.
my brother said he showed much more interest in the quad than his car.. i guess flight has always been a thing mankind has been fascinated b.. must be in our DNA.. damn you birds of pray getting all the thermals for your self :D

he is into RC cars, i did not realize how much money he had into his rc car. laughs..
chris.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow that thing sits right back into stable flight where ever you end your maneuver. I assume the doubles you did were not intentional specially that low to the ground. It seems really tight and I don't see the bounce you say you have. Flips are specially tight and stop rock solid from what I see. Rolls are much faster then the flips and I think what you see is you not being as fast as is needed for that roll rate. I am the same way with mine. I am backing off the flip rates to try and get them balanced as far as speed at full deflection on the sticks. I think I have roll rate at 70, pitch rate at 68 and yaw rate at 90 with an RC rate of 96 for the sp3 FC on Cleanflight. I think I am going to bump RC rate again though as I want a touch more in speed over all. Of course I'm still on my versa with 3s and that's a lot heavier for sure.

All in all that's a solid build and respectable tune you have with that lil beastie. Have to see how smooth it is when you start doing those fancy flow videos and not just stand alone flips and rolls to really tell.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Well I've been trying to get out to the field for a while now, but seem to always arrive in the midst of a baseball game. At the same time there has been some known issues with EMAX red bottoms and the KISS components that were causing some issues in flight. Today flyduino released RC27, the update suppose to fix the problems with the red bottoms. I did not get out to the field, but instead got soem tuning done in my backyard.

There is still some annoying bounce backs after flips, but overall things feel pretty nice. The yaw is still not what I want so I will have to keep tuning. So here is me doing some test laps around my backyard.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice flying in such a tight space. Roll looks pretty locked in. I saw a little bounce on pitch but not much so you are VERY close. Just for general info what issues with the red motors is happening as I am leaning towards those with a full kiss set up after I stock pile the parts?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Nice flying in such a tight space. Roll looks pretty locked in. I saw a little bounce on pitch but not much so you are VERY close. Just for general info what issues with the red motors is happening as I am leaning towards those with a full kiss set up after I stock pile the parts?

Thanks! The red bottoms combo had problems with mid throttle oscillations and other vibrations issues. It seems though that the RC27 update has fixed all this so you should be fine.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Currently trying to tune out bounce backs after flips. This is the most frustrating part.

I have had a handful of crashes but have only had to replace one DAL prop because it was a little too beat up to be part of the tuning process. Still flyable though.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
With RC28 and new DAL5040 triblades the bounce backs are almost gone. There is a new v1.03 firmware for the KISS ESCs that may reduce some of the mid throttle oscillations that I (subtly) and others experience with redbottom motors. I will try that and the soon to be released RC29 when I get the time to tear down the build and flash the ESCs.

Right now flying is very close to what is is like on the simulator (FPV Freerider), which is good because I am very comfortable in the sim. Things are still a little looser than I want so I upped my I gain and will tune even further once I update the firmwares.

Here is a quick vid of tuning from a couple weeks back. I did some filming this past weekend so expect a more exciting video to drop sometime this week. - Sam

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Dam brother yer pushing rc rate up pretty high now. Nice work. Getting a lot quicker too. Seems I have some air time due to catch your progress. I got my tune a little tighter last 2 days. Not quite that level just yet but I haven't had the guts to hit it that hard on the flips just yet. Was out doin some late afternoon gate practice when a local sheriff came over and we started talking and I was showing him stuff.

You will like getting up to RC28 and 1.03 on the esc's. VERY smooth. I need to tweak TPA now for punch outs but what is programed in is weird and un adjustable. It has 144% in places that only allow for adjustment to 100%.. Not sure how that happened or at this point with numbers that high if it is even having any effect on the quad.

Just for giggles.. what is your roll in degrees per second on the rates page. I have my roll and pitch set to 2.03 rolls per second so like 730 degrees? Cant remember yaw off hand though.

Oh and I love those DAL 5040 tri's. I was using them on the Versa then upped it to 5045's. I have both but for now and jamming on the 5040's with the RR5 Alien.

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Just for giggles.. what is your roll in degrees per second on the rates page. I have my roll and pitch set to 2.03 rolls per second so like 730 degrees? Cant remember yaw off hand though.

Thanks PsyBorg. I've been following your progress as well. I'm running 2.75 revs per second which is 990 degrees per second. I'll have to check yaw later, but it is slightly less in rates.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
New video! A simple freestyle session around a tree on campus. Sun was setting so some clips are a bit dark.

I'm still experiencing mid throttle oscillations on RC28 and ESC firmware 1.01, which I believe is causing most of the bumpiness in flight. I will flash to RC29 and 1.03 when I get the chance. Apparently I have a problem with getting too low and clipping the ground.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
wow yer getting good mate.

Hey you say your on RC28 now. Take a look at the TPA.. I changed mine and cleared up a lot of issues. In the box under the pids I set it to 48, 4 and 44. Then I looked at the curve and there was tpa of 25% set at zero throttle.. That didnt make snese in my head as to why so I tried it flat line to 45% throttle then 20% tpa to 70% throttle then to 100% tpa from there to full throttle. That cleared up the punch out weirdness. I just have a slight torqueing to the right when I go to zero throttle after a strong punch out straight up.

The thing I walked away from in FGA's video was that would give a max of a 48% drop in pids at 100% On the Versa Copter I ran a linear TPA from 1600 to full throttle to clean that up for punch outs but that was on an spf3 board so different numbers to do the same effects.

I flew 4 packs today on my picnic table course I use now as my standard to check things out and practice. No free style in this one but it seemed pretty smooth in turns when I hit them correctly. Specially now I can see more clearly.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Thanks Psyborg, all my sim practice is starting to transfer over. I'll check out what you say about TPA. I'm also going to up my I gain and update my firmware. I'm not in the mod for a retune, but Ill do it soon.

You're right your turns do look a lot smoother now.