• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Good quality 20a brushless ESC

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering where everyone get's ESC's. The BLHeli one I got from eBay didn't work right out of the box.

I'm looking for a cheap but pretty good quality ESC.

Thank you!

kdobson83

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering where everyone get's ESC's. The BLHeli one I got from eBay didn't work right out of the box.

I'm looking for a cheap but pretty good quality ESC.

Thank you!
I use these from banggood.com and they work great.
[US$12.60]FMS Predator 30A Brushless ESC With 2A Linear BEC XT60 Plug for RC Models RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood.com
https://banggood.app.link/s6MJpFS3pW
They have 20a available too. Ships from China or California depending on the warehouse you choose. They have lots of other brands too including the emax brand which I use more often. Haven't had trouble out of my emax esc's yet.

What problem are you having?

FDS

Yes, the 30A ESC’s go in the fuselage fine. Currently I am using all Hobbywing Skywalker ESC’s in my builds, since my other supplier has been out of stock for ever.

Arcfyre

I get the 4 pack of cheapo ESCs on Amazon. It's $25 for 4 speed controllers, hard to best that price.

If I need something with more juice, I'll usually get the red brick brand from hobbyking. Cheap and they do what I need them to do.

bigron3

I get my esc’s from Heads Up RC. I try to get the Sky Power line so I only need one programmer for all my Esc’s. I only buy esc’s with Switch-mode bec’s. I have never had an esc issue with Sky Power brand. They have a wide range powers so one always seems to fit my needs. Heads Up RC is a good place to do business with also.

skymaster

careful if you buy the combo's from ebay, i bought two with the yellow esc's and both esc's shorted out. one of them got the motor super hot.
luckily the motor was not damage tried it with another esc and it worked flawless .

Bricks

Yes, the 30A ESC’s go in the fuselage fine. Currently I am using all Hobbywing Skywalker ESC’s in my builds, since my other supplier has been out of stock for ever.

I have a couple of the Skywalker brand and they have held up well compared to some of the HobbyKing branded ESC`s

I

Kananga

Edited so my factual advice is a little more understandable with the hope that no one will think I'm spreading falsehoods when answering peoples questions, it's apparently unproductive and maybe even harmful!

Esc for what? You mentioned blheli which is for a multirotor or helicopter so are you replacing one? If so it needs to be the same as the others used on the model.

If you're wanting one for a plane then you need a plane esc, a multirotors esc firmware is to aggressive for a plane and it's a lot harder to fly smoothly.

Edit,
Escs are designed so at full power the motor is only actually getting 92% full power, this is so the motor runs at peak power as 92% is a very good average.
If you use a 30a esc that was will give full power to the motor when the throttle is on full power so in that set up the motor would not be running at it's optimum power/efficientcy and as such will generate more heat, not get as much flight time and could shorten the life of the motor.

Personally I will never buy another castle cremations esc but other than that they are all pretty simular. My suggestion would be to get one you can get a programming card for other than that the bigger size it is the more likely for it to be robust, look at the wires and connectors it comes with then look up reviews of the one you've found/chosen otherwise a question of which esc should you get is the same as asking what car should you get lol.

Last edited:
careful if you buy the combo's from ebay, i bought two with the yellow esc's and both esc's shorted out. one of them got the motor super hot.
luckily the motor was not damage tried it with another esc and it worked flawless .
Yeah, I learned the hard way that those combos are junk as well. The motor and ESC are both horrible. If the prop saver and props fit other planes, it might have made me feel a little better about the whole thing, but no, those don't fit anything else either lol.

Be careful following previous advice of getting a bigger esc because it can be a false economy when it burns out. Escs are designed to be run at 95% ish power. If you get for example a 30a one when you only need a 20a one the 30a one will burn out being run on 2/3rds power all the time.
If you need a 20a esc you get a 20a esc.
From my understanding, that's not how power works. It's actually backwards of how power works. It's not like a mechanical engine where if you're basically slugging along at barely any throttle, that could damage components meant to run at higher speeds. Doesn't really work that way with electronic components. I could be wrong though.

Kananga

I don't care enough to explain it to you after your abrasive reply.

You wasn't sure hence your reply of 'unless I'm wrong' I'm saying yes you're wrong.

You want to make an issue out of it you go for it but you'll be on your own.

I suggest you do some much needed research.

FDS

My 2c- I have usually run 20A Skywalker ESC’s on Minis instead of 12A, I have several with over 50 hrs flight time, still work perfectly.
On my larger planes I typically have a 30A or 40A esc for a 25-30A load, again in 6 months of occasional flying, none has burned out.
Personally I will keep going with +20% headroom on peak load and the largest Bec I can find as I don’t want a baking hot ESC or brownout.
Everyone has different approaches to this stuff, let’s respect that and not get bogged down in a back and forth? So far there’s several UK posters in this thread, we should set a high standard for mutual respect. My opinion on keeping a proper stiff upper lip.

Chuppster

I don't care enough to explain it to you after your abrasive reply.

You wasn't sure hence your reply of 'unless I'm wrong' I'm saying yes you're wrong.

You want to make an issue out of it you go for it but you'll be on your own.

I suggest you do some much needed research.
If you don't care enough to explain it, it sounds an awful lot like you don't know what you're talking about.

When you made the statement that ESC's are made to work at 95% capacity most of the time, is that based on the fact that higher frequency switching leads to more heat generation? Last I checked our ESC's are fixed-frequency PWM, so that would be a fallacy. I could understand an argument for 100% throttle being the most efficient (due to no PWM switching), but it would seem to me that the RDSon of the fets would still be the determining factor in terms of heat output rather than the sub-gigahertz switching frequency of the PWM. If that is the case higher throttle means more stress on the ESC. Even then, it has nothing to do with power rating and everything to do with throttle setting. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me!