• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is the FliteTest Mighty Mini Scout a good beginner airplane?

CrazyFastFlying

Hey everyone,

Last spring, I tried to get my dad into the hobby. Unfortunately, it never worked out. The tiny trainer he built didn't fly very well(which is the main reason he stoped flying). I want to build him another airplane and try to get him flying again. The power setup he has is, 1806 2300kv motor, 20A ESC and 3s 800mah - 1300mah batteries. I was thinking the mini scout would be a good choice, but I've never flown one so I'm not sure.

Would the mini scout be a good plane for him to start with? If not, what would be a good plane that would work with the setup that he has?

Thank you
Jeremy

Zetoyoc

I didn't read any posts I just wanted to say the mini scout is my most flown most durable and easiest flier. It may be just me but I love it. Mine flies hands off or twisting around in the sky. I love flying it skimming the grass tops. It was my first plane i flew and I still fly it. :).

CrazyFastFlying

Maiden it for him, get it trimmed up and then pass the transmitter to him when it's 3 mistakes high. If you have instructed him on what to do beforehand, it shouldn't take long for him to get the hang of it. It's a really forgiving airplane.
Thanks for the advice!

He has his own transmitter, so we got a buddy-box trainer cable that connects out transmitters. If he gets in trouble, I can take over.

Personally I'd go with the Mini Scout over the Commuter. The Scout is a much quicker and easier build, especially if you ditch the posterbard, it's just a square so it's easier to fix and you can build it with a single sheet of foam.

The Hangar

Personally I'd go with the Mini Scout over the Commuter. The Scout is a much quicker and easier build, especially if you ditch the posterbard, it's just a square so it's easier to fix and you can build it with a single sheet of foam.
True, the Mini Scout is about as simple as it gets to build! It flies awesome too, it is just a little more sporty. But since you have a buddy-box cable, then I don't think that should be any issue. :)