Good Second Plane

FatHoboChild12

Hello FliteTest Community,

I got my first plane, the E-Flite Timber back in the beginning of January. After flying it almost daily for the past 6 weeks, I feel s though I am ready for a new, "more advanced" plane. I have looked around and found the E-Flite p-51D Mustang 1.2M from Horizon Hobby with the AS3X. Would you say that is a good second plane? If not, which plane would you recommend.

I currently own 2200mAh batteries that I use for the Timber so I would prefer to buy a plane that uses something around that size.

Thanks, Scott

Last edited:

ofiesens2

Professional noob
As for Horizon planes to recommend, I don't have much. My friend had a P51 as his second plane, but he crashed hard on his first flight and never got it up in the air yet
But, Funny thing, the 2200 batteries that come with the Horizon planes usually come with the blue EC3 connectors (correct me if I'm wrong). You can actually jab the battery end of an EC3 into the ESC end of an XT60, which is used on HobbyKing batteries and most Flite Test products. So you can use Horizon batteries on Flite Test ESCs!

So if you are at all considering entering the scratch building route, which I highly recommend, take the dive in! FT offers so many great designs where you can swap out the motor and ESC and receiver between planes. I haven't flown anything more complicated than their Bloody Wonder combat ship, but I believe the Spitfire, Storch (high wing fun plane) and pretty much all of their designs are fun to build and fly.

Welcome to the community!

hbb3367

That is an awesome plane, you are spot on. I trashed one of those last year or before...
My unsolicited advice: If I could only have one plane, it would be the FT Mustang. The plane flies on rails, is fast and furious, and has no bad stall characteristics. I bought my second after thinking I could not salvage the first after a really bad crash...but now I have 2...because they are always repairable...and they are both my favs...

Jack