Edf as second plane?

f-35lover

Hello! i am a novice pilot but i want to fly edfs as a second plane.(my first plane is the simple scout) I'm thinking of the ft Viggen or a random depron edf parkjet. any suggestions or tips? I don't know if i should fly edfs because i have only been flying slow planes. Thanks

quorneng

Master member
I fear your opening statement should read "I am a novice pilot but i want to crash EDFs as a second plane" which is what is very likely to happen.
Remember the energy that has to dissipated in a crash is proportional to weight and the speed squared. EDFs are both heavy and fast!:cry:
It would make more sense for your second plane to be just a bit heavier and faster than the simple scout.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Hello! i am a novice pilot but i want to fly edfs as a second plane.(my first plane is the simple scout) I'm thinking of the ft Viggen or a random depron edf parkjet. any suggestions or tips? I don't know if i should fly edfs because i have only been flying slow planes. Thanks
I would say, dont. If you will use an edf, buy one premade as a first, cause you need experience to make diy versions fly

telnar1236

Elite member
Thank you for the replies, would a pusher be OK? maybe the Viggen in pusher form?
A pusher could be ok, but many of the things that make a jet hard to fly carry over into a pusher prop plane shaped like a jet. The Viggen is nice and floaty, but you still need a good grasp of controlling a plane with more sensitive ailerons and that doesn't carry its energy as well. Depending on your level of natural ability, there is a small chance you would have some success with it, but I can't recommend it. A low wing design like the Flite Test P-40 might be a good plane for you to try between the scout and a pusher prop Viggen. Also, I definitely would not buy a premade plane as your first EDF, once you have the experience. The Viggen is easier to fly than 99% of out of the box EDFs on the market, and it costs very little if you do crash it.

f-35lover

The p-40 is good but I think that I may need to use Depron instead of foam board because Foamboard is very rare where I live is that possible? would the master series corsair be ok for the before edf plane?

telnar1236

Elite member
The p-40 is good but I think that I may need to use Depron instead of foam board because Foamboard is very rare where I live is that possible? would the master series corsair be ok for the before edf plane?
Depron will need reinforcement since it doesn't have paper which makes foam board much stiffer, but it can be made to work. I'll leave the Corsair question to others who have actually flown the plane, but my impression was the P-40 is an easier plane to fly.

f-35lover

Depron will need reinforcement since it doesn't have paper which makes foam board much stiffer, but it can be made to work. I'll leave the Corsair question to others who have actually flown the plane, but my impression was the P-40 is an easier plane to fly.
Thanks for the info, will check out the p-40.

MrKilometer

The MS Corsair is also more difficult to build then the Simple Scout or even the Viggen. If you're looking to get an EDF in the future, I'd also recommend a wing like the Arrow or Versa, or even a Goblin, so that you can get experience with faster, elevon-only airplanes.

f-35lover

The MS Corsair is also more difficult to build then the Simple Scout or even the Viggen. If you're looking to get an EDF in the future, I'd also recommend a wing like the Arrow or Versa, or even a Goblin, so that you can get experience with faster, elevon-only airplanes.
Thanks for the reply. i was very interested in the goblin a few years back wish i had the time to try it.

The Fopster

Master member
An EDF doesn’t have to be hard to fly. Build something light and keep the throws low at first. Here’s one of mine - it is genuinely very easy to fly (the trade off being it’s not crazily fast).

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
An EDF doesn’t have to be hard to fly. Build something light and keep the throws low at first. Here’s one of mine - it is genuinely very easy to fly (the trade off being it’s not crazily fast).
It doesnt ahve to be, but in general most try to be scale and so are, also you cant go around for another landing really on an edf.

The Fopster

Master member
Is it a 64mm? where can i find the plans for it?
Yes - it’s got a 64mm fan. Just finishing plans and build instructions - I’ll be selling them as I’m currently out of work (but they are only about 5 bucks). I’ll post on the forums when they go live.

f-35lover

Yes - it’s got a 64mm fan. Just finishing plans and build instructions - I’ll be selling them as I’m currently out of work (but they are only about 5 bucks). I’ll post on the forums when they go live.
how maneuverable is it, forgive my stupidness in edfs but will it work with a 2840-kv3200 motor? this question is not about the plane but what esc is good for the edf/plane. could a 40a work?

MrKilometer

Depends on how big a battery you use - the 40a will probably work on a 3s or 4s. There are online calculators that can help you figure it out, but having a slightly larger esc than necessary is usually a good thing.

The Fopster

Master member
how maneuverable is it, forgive my stupidness in edfs but will it work with a 2840-kv3200 motor? this question is not about the plane but what esc is good for the edf/plane. could a 40a work?
My EDF has a 3800kv motor, and I’m flying on either 3s or 4s with a 60A ESC. You could maybe get away with a 40A on 3s battery but you would need to avoid continuous full throttle flying. I’d suggest looking at the manufacturer performance tables for your EDF and seeing what they recommend.