Great Planes Giant P6E Hawk--Electric Conversion

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm really learning to love flea markets (assuming you're talking about RC swap meets)! Hopefully your maiden is uneventful. Mine for the 1/4 scale Cub is planned for tomorrow, and I'm considering adding a few ounces of lead to the nose just to be safe. I'd rather fly nose-heavy until I know for sure how it will handle.

earthsciteach

RC swap meet tomorrow!!!!! :D:applause::cool:

Through a cruel twist of fate, my wife discovered, just today, that I bought an HK Skipper from a neighbor for $50. It was only flown once and came with a battery. Decent deal, right?

She said this, "You need to stop. You have such a pile in the basement that you don't know what to do with it."

"I know," replied I.

Obviously she felt the point had not been driven home well enough. This is what I recall of the remainder of the conversation, "waaah waaah waah, waaa waa waa waaaa."

Always attentive I replied, "You're right."

"Blah blah blah money. Airplanes blah blah blah."

With a remorseful tone I concede, "I know."

"Yada yada yada. Blah blah blah. Waaah waa wa wa waaaaa."

Me, "uh huh."

RC swap meet tomorrow!!!!!! :applause::applause::applause::D:D... :black_eyed:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Saying "You're right" is 100% different than saying "You're right, I'll stop buying planes". My wife did a count of my planes recently and stopped counting around 30. She didn't know what else was in the boxes or stacked on the shelves behind other planes, and I sure wasn't going to tell her! The look I got was bad enough. :p Not long after I went to a swap meet and ended up with 3 more planes. :) Or maybe it was 4, I can't remember.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Not a whole lot "tickled my fancy" this year. Mostly, I just wanted to spend time with friends. We had a blast and came away with some go, bad, and ugly items. I picked up a Fokker D VI laser cut kit that was mostly finished but not covered. It was cut by a Russian manufacturer and it really built like a tank. It is nearly all ply and its not as heavy as you might think.

Back on the P6E: I got the Tx programmed with my settings and set the control throws. I believe that she is now ready for a maiden but I'm taking my time here. The weather outlook does not seem favorable, which is normal for March. I also wanted to note that I did see this airplane for sale at the swap meet... for $400! I got mine for much, MUCH less.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I met the original owner at the field for a taxi test. She checked out ok but he recommended, and I agreed, that the CG could be a moved a bit more forward with some ballast. I intentionally performed the test with a battery that was not fully charged so that I would not be tempted to do a maiden. She wanted to fly so we are hopeful. I'm thinking another 4oz. of lead will be good for her. THat or a slightly bigger battery. My eye is on a big one over at Gearbest. Its a good deal on such a large battery. The stated weight is at 19.4 oz. which is just over 4oz more than my current battery. Might just have a go at that price.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I met the original owner at the field for a taxi test. She checked out ok but he recommended, and I agreed, that the CG could be a moved a bit more forward with some ballast. I intentionally performed the test with a battery that was not fully charged so that I would not be tempted to do a maiden. She wanted to fly so we are hopeful. I'm thinking another 4oz. of lead will be good for her. THat or a slightly bigger battery. My eye is on a big one over at Gearbest. Its a good deal on such a large battery. The stated weight is at 19.4 oz. which is just over 4oz more than my current battery. Might just have a go at that price.

I'm enjoying this thread, willsonman. Great info and tips on converting to electric. Smart move using a low battery for the taxi test. Things could have gone terribly wrong or terribly well. ;)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Glad you are gleaning information and having fun with it. The low battery trick is something I picked up awhile ago. It helps you make the decision before going to the field. It removes any temptation and helps you to be more objective and most of all, SAFE. While I believe it will fly as-is the CG would have made for an interesting flight that I otherwise would not have been prepared for.

Knowing your ground handling is a key factor for maiden flying. Nose-over tendencies and rudder authority to steer with tail draggers is important for how take-off should go and how your landing approach should be. Once you are in the air and get a feel for how the stall will go you can then judge how your landing approach will go based on speed and how the layout will handle bumps and such. If you approach your taxi test in this objective way you set yourself up for better success. I had 7 maiden flights last year and all of them went well, I am convinced, because I take my time and objectively learn each aircraft individually.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It's a solid approach that people should try. I am 100% guilty of flying before a plane is fully checked out, but am trying to get better at it as the planes get bigger (and more expensive). If the field is clear I like to do a series of taxi-tests, just running up and down the bumpy field trying to shake something loose. After that, back to the pit area to run the engine up to speed a few times, followed by higher speed taxi runs where the plane actually gets airborne just inches off the runway. Then, back to the pit for an engine check again. If all goes well, up it goes! As you said, knowing what to expect on ground handling is important. My two latest maidens were both 1/4 scale Cubs, and the rudder authority is key in getting good take-offs and landings especially on bumpy ground where the tail wheel will bounce a lot. Running them up and down the runway a few times gave me the info I needed to avoid ground problems. Problems in the air are a different story, especially when a gas engine decides to quit a minute in to the maiden flight! :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Too true Joker! The scariest parts are on the ground. A dead stick is never fun but you have more options than the split-second you often have on landing approaches or something squirrely on take-off. My field has a rather short runway. With large models like this the fast taxi with just a bit off the ground is not really an option for me. I'm ok with that. There are never surprises of an accidental take-off. You have a go/no-go situation.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looks fantastic! I knew you had picked up something new but completely missed this thread until this morning.

Thinking of maidening this weekend? Looks cool but manageable winds and clear skies on Saturday. I'm going to try to sneak out tomorrow after work and get a few flights in.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Too true Joker! The scariest parts are on the ground. A dead stick is never fun but you have more options than the split-second you often have on landing approaches or something squirrely on take-off. My field has a rather short runway. With large models like this the fast taxi with just a bit off the ground is not really an option for me. I'm ok with that. There are never surprises of an accidental take-off. You have a go/no-go situation.

After two dead-stick landings back-to-back with the Clipped Wing Cub, I'm kind of used to 'em. :) Lucky for me the area around the actual runway was cut short for the winter and it made a nice extended runway for me. In the summer it would just be long grass, so not a big deal either way. The first couple flights with a new plane I like to get some altitude right away before trimming it out, just in case.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Oh, and if everything appears to be going well during the first few minutes of a flight I'll spend extra time after trimming just doing landing approaches so I know what to expect there, too. Some planes come in like a rock and others want to float along the runway before finally touching down. With the gassers it seems like a very likely time for a motor to die, after floating in at idle for a while and then transitioning the throttle up to take-off for another approach. Sudden silence while flying gas/nitro can be scary!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
A maiden is not out of the question for this weekend. I did order that battery so I'll see if it comes in by then, otherwise I'll need to add ballast.

kacknor

Build another!
RC swap meet tomorrow!!!!! :D:applause::cool:

Through a cruel twist of fate, my wife discovered, just today, that I bought an HK Skipper from a neighbor for $50. It was only flown once and came with a battery. Decent deal, right?

She said this, "You need to stop. You have such a pile in the basement that you don't know what to do with it."

"I know," replied I.

Obviously she felt the point had not been driven home well enough. This is what I recall of the remainder of the conversation, "waaah waaah waah, waaa waa waa waaaa."

Always attentive I replied, "You're right."

"Blah blah blah money. Airplanes blah blah blah."

With a remorseful tone I concede, "I know."

"Yada yada yada. Blah blah blah. Waaah waa wa wa waaaaa."

Me, "uh huh."

RC swap meet tomorrow!!!!!! :applause::applause::applause::D:D... :black_eyed:

I am very much enjoying reading this thread. I had to say some thing on this. I am TRULY blessed as I had a similar conversation recently as she took a close look at the long line of aircraft hanging in the basement. Very tight and crowded. The result though, is we are looking for a bigger place! Blessed indeed!

JD

Last edited:

wilmracer

Mentor
A maiden is not out of the question for this weekend. I did order that battery so I'll see if it comes in by then, otherwise I'll need to add ballast.

If you do let me know. I might be able to sneak out and get some video of the maiden! I'm hoping to get another few flights in on the nnP-38 too if the weather cooperates. TBH I should just lock myself in the shop until the Pitts is done but I'm eager to get more flying time in.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, Saturday looks to be a good option but the drywall folks are starting that day. It may not be until the afternoon so I can be there for anything when they get started.

wilmracer

Mentor
Well, Saturday looks to be a good option but the drywall folks are starting that day. It may not be until the afternoon so I can be there for anything when they get started.

Just let me know! Right now I have a few things on the housework to-do list but if there is flying to be done I can probably be there :cool:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'm thinking maybe 1-2PM if all goes well in the morning. I can be there to resolve any issues at the onset and take care of my normal Saturday housework. Might take the Goon out there as well for her to stretch her wings again.

So I ordered that battery yesterday morning and it shipped the same day! Tracking says it should be delivered tomorrow. Its coming from NY so that makes sense through USPS. Its my first order from GearBest so I am impressed so far. I'm assuming parts from China will take much longer but the US side of things look pretty fantastic. We will see how the battery performs.

Edit: Considering this for more nose weight.

Last edited: