HAM's of Flitetest...Say Hello!!!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Congrats RoyBro!

As for is it still worth it. I had my radio license long before I could afford RC gear. While cell phones have advanced a lot there are still lots of times I'm glad I've got radios. Cell phones go down quick an emergency, both because their towers need power/get damaged but also because they clog up when everyone tries to use them at once. Radios...always a way to get a message through.

And even if you don't fly FPV you're still using radios if you're flying RC and the knowledge gained (and connections you can make) can prove very helpful.

IMHO if you're interested in a hobby that relies on radios you're doing yourself a great disservice by not getting a license.

K4GAP

K4GAP Gary from Central Kentucky saying 73 to all other Hams and howdy to those that have no idea what 73 is :)

I am also brand new to this hobby and am looking forward to the day I can share it with my Grandchildren.

Personal Ham related forums can be found here.

mtarver

Complete Noob
CQ from KB5TJI

Greetings all you hams from KB5TJI. I've been in amateur radio since 1992 but I'm just getting started in RC. Right now my main interest is Quads. I read several posts which suggested starting with a small and tough quad and then progressing to something larger and more sophisticated. So that's what I did.
I got a palm-sized quad for Christmas and beat it up until I learned to fly. I still enjoy running batteries through the machine.
I graduated to a Parrot AR 2.0 Drone. I got one refurbished from NewEgg. I love flying it and I really love the HD pics and video but I'm ready to move on to something better.
I'm right in the middle of building my first quad. I bought a HobbyKing frame and am waiting on a MultiWii flight controller from Ready to Fly Quads. Can't wait to start building.
73 for now and hope to see you on the forum.
Marvin- KB5TJI

ktmrocks

AE7EK

73's from Famous Potatoes (Idaho for those not in the know).

I earned my technician's license and immediately began studying for the General test. The VE's at my local club have a rule, if you pass the test you are sitting for with a higher than 90% (if I remember right), you may try the next higher test for free. Knowing this, after I was certain that I would pass the General class test, I started studying for the Extra for about a week.

I managed to pass the General and the Extra on the same evening!

I thought that was a pretty neat achievement until I started chewing the rag with some of the old Elmers in the club. They filled me in on how it was "Back in the day" with all the CW requirements, etc.

So, my respect goes out to all the guys who earned it the old way and had to build their rigs.

Kudos!

73's AE7EK - Monitoring

Damig

Minnesota Ham

CQ, CQ, de wb0smh

Hello, hi, Howdy. Code is fun for me still and electronics/ hw 100 from Heathkit my first build attempt. Kraft 4 channel my first r/c kit/ build.... And can you believe the new technology????? I feel like a kid again and the guys at Flitetest do a great job.

73's
Miggy

meehan

ki4scj currently in monterey, ca not doing much ham anymore just get out my ht once or twice a year

Tim

LocalHero

KE5HCQ here in DFW. I passed the Technician test in 2006 when I was in college, but have never actually used it. I own a handheld scanner and listen in on some of the repeaters when the weather gets crazy out here, but I have never actually owned or operated a radio.

Maybe I'll get into it one of these days.

bitogre

What Bands and equipment do people use

After passing my tests last night, I am now wondering what I will do with it. FVP is an obvious use (assuming the FAA does not get their way). But how many people here use their license for things other than FPV? If so what?

Do any of you use it to talk long distance? If so, what bands do you prefer to use? I'd like to know so I might be able to join you (once I figure out what gear to get and get it set up).

Do people have suggestions on things I should look into for other uses of HAM radio? And/or what gear I should consider purchasing?

Thanks for your help.

RichB

KD2GPA checking in.

Had my ticket for about a month. Made first contact a few days ago. There's some pretty good local repeaters here. I am also in a pretty good spot: excepting a couple close trees, I have LOS for about 50 miles from my roof.

Just rocking a basic Baofeng handheld for now. I'll see where this takes me though.

If anybody has some good suggestions for tracking down a openlrsng beacon, give me a shout.

Neal

I don't have a license but I'd like to possibly be a radio technician some day. I do enjoy listening to all the traffic from 1mhz to 956mhz (excluding the bands the FCC has disallowed ... ) and trying to figure out what signals come from where. I don't have any high end equipment, just a Grundig FR-200 and a Radioshack Pro-51.
I saw a pretty nice looking transceiver at the local airport hobby store(Bracket Field - KPOC) for $250 but I'd also like to get some RC plane stuff [SIZE=1.5]and a graphics card[/SIZE] and some parts for my bike [size=.5]and some music[/size] [size=.25]...[/size]

wx9dx

Say Hi to me on MidCars , 68 group 7.268MHz 2 to 4 pm central, 3.943MHz mornings or call me late night 160 Meters on 1.880MHz. If not there leave a message with one of the guys.
Thanks!!!

73 :)
Jimmy, ARRL TS, WX9DX

Attachments

• 2012_12_22_04_52_55_2.jpg
    2012_12_22_04_52_55_2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 116