High speed wind tunnel

matgof

Hi, for uni project i need to build a wind tunnel that goes up to 250 kph wind speed, got any ideas on what i can use to generate such speeds? I thought of an EDF motor for rc planes but i don't know which one is going to be powerful enough.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...build a wind tunnel that goes up to 250 kph wind speed...
You didn't say how large the wind tunnel needed to be. A wind tunnel made from an EDF would be tiny. Even if they could fast enough, I wouldn't think the EDF tunnel would be large enough to be of any practical value.

Piotrsko

Master member
Hmmm 250 clicks is gonna needa bunch more than 50hp and some serious structure to contain the forces. This a design then build or just design? I believe models tend to only get to about 110 mph
A 10"diameter prop will go supersonic way before then.

150 mph is tough for even something bolted onto a car that goes that fast (most don't any more, you're looking at least a C-rating for the autobahn so the words beemer, porsche or audi will have special meaning)

quorneng

Master member
Why 10" diameter?
Full size wind tunnels with big props can easily exceed 400 kph. Even small props can exceed 250 kph. The workd record for an RC EDF is 350 kph. No mention of supersonic tips.
Using an EDF It will be a small (>110mm dia?) and relatively expensive wind tunnel.

JetCrafts

You didn't say how large the wind tunnel needed to be. A wind tunnel made from an EDF would be tiny. Even if they could fast enough, I wouldn't think the EDF tunnel would be large enough to be of any practical value.
merv please answer before we kill each other and get Phd,s in aerospace engeering

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Chances are, we will design the best wind tunnel ever and this guy will never know. He joined, made a post, and never came back.....

I would start with a large high volume fan and then choke the tunnel down to convert volume into speed. Would also want to make sure the air was moving straight, not swirling in the tunnel, and not turbulent.

LB

Piotrsko

Master member
It's spring, a time of odd engineering assignments at schools where people want us to do the heavy design work so they can click, copy and paste instead of doing proper engineering for themselves.

Other than calculating tip (?) speed, how would you know the edf went supersonic? Irv Culver says a prop plane gets really noisy which is how he tells.

JetCrafts

Chances are, we will design the best wind tunnel ever and this guy will never know. He joined, made a post, and never came back.....

I would start with a large high volume fan and then choke the tunnel down to convert volume into speed. Would also want to make sure the air was moving straight, not swirling in the tunnel, and not turbulent.

LB
problem there if we choke it too much we could cause the air to reverse and just like spin in an infinite vortex .
so I propose high pressure chamber with air and a converging nozzle