Hobbyking Vampire

John Campbell

Me too! I wish I would of ordered from the first batch as they raised the price a little. Too bad your not closer, we could combine and maybe save on some freight.

LOL, Doubt we would have saved anything. I purchased 2 planes together to save on shipping and they doubled the cost for shipping on me and would not ship until I paid the extra... Then to make it right they sent me some free "Turnigy Stickers".

HK-FreeGift-1.JPG

mikey

Crash Test Foamy
My vampire has just arrived! Build was exceptionally easy but one on the landing gear only works some of the time. My guess is that the electric motor is cactus - feels and smells hot. I've contacted HK and am waiting for their reply... fingers crossed they play nice. Would love to fly it but it's been so wet here in Brisbane that I'd need to put floats on it!

John Campbell

My vampire has just arrived! Build was exceptionally easy but one on the landing gear only works some of the time. My guess is that the electric motor is cactus - feels and smells hot. I've contacted HK and am waiting for their reply... fingers crossed they play nice. Would love to fly it but it's been so wet here in Brisbane that I'd need to put floats on it!

Maybe they will give you a free pack of stickers for your touble... :)

mikey

Crash Test Foamy
Yes, after your experiences with Hobby King support and my own encounters my expectations are very low. I did receive a 3D Turnigy sticker with the order - just what I've always needed!

mikey

Crash Test Foamy
Just took the Vampire up for its maiden flight - with the wheels down as hobbyking has demanded video footage of the gear not working.....seriously!?! All went well for the first lap of the oval but then the normal whine of the EDF turned into a high pitched scream after a small bang sound and then I lost all controls - completely dead stick and watched it plough into the ground like a well greased crow bar :-(

I'll be contacting Hobby King to ask for a new one given this EDF imploded mid-flight? However, given Hobby Kings infamous customer service I reckon I'll have more chance of being abducted by aliens than getting an issue resolved with them!

My lesson from this.... never buy RC aircraft from Hobby King again. Sure they're cheap but they are pretty low quality compared to Horizon, Parkzone, e-flite and after sales support is the worst I have ever experienced.

mikey

Crash Test Foamy
Just submitted my request for a new Vampire to HK given the mid-flight failure of the EDF - lets see how they go.....

P2040955-1.JPG P2040956-1.JPG P2040957-1.JPG

Klonas

If you lost the control it wasn't and EDF problem then?

hobbyking has demanded video footage of the gear not working.....seriously!?!

That's probably because they need to know if the problem is real....?
I mean I could just say my plane is dead on arrival and they would sent another one?

Last edited:

mikey

Crash Test Foamy
Yes, I suppose you have a point and I may have been a little cranky at them when they demanded photos, videos and asked what the product ID was after I had given them their own order number. For the EDF it was flying straight and level when I heard a bang and then the loud screaming sound. After that there was no control whatsoever, throttle, aileron, elevator.

sandblaster

Yes, I suppose you have a point and I may have been a little cranky at them when they demanded photos, videos and asked what the product ID was after I had given them their own order number. For the EDF it was flying straight and level when I heard a bang and then the loud screaming sound. After that there was no control whatsoever, throttle, aileron, elevator.

I can see why they are asking for that information. If there are more problems they need to track it. Probably will go back to the vendor for there own reinbursement. An order # does not give the vendor information on the unit.

Just to bad you did not have flight video. Can see it now, "Viper Shot Down by UFO". grin

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
So anyone else got a vampire? I'm really tempted to get one after visiting the one at Wagga Wagga on the way between Adelaide and Canberra, and seeing and sitting in a sea venom in Adelaide... If the EDF is unreliable I'm not so sure...

So anyone else got a vampire? I'm really tempted to get one after visiting the one at Wagga Wagga on the way between Adelaide and Canberra, and seeing and sitting in a sea venom in Adelaide... If the EDF is unreliable I'm not so sure...

You can always buy the kit. I think I am going to order one soon. I'm thinking I will go ahead and get the plug n play. I usually go through things pretty well and make sure everything seems right. On the edf's I have been balancing the fans and making sure the motors spin up smooth un-loaded. As cheap as it is it probably is best to buy the pnp because you get the retracts. I have been reading the thread at rc groups and I find this also helps to avert problems.
Good luck!
Jay

mikey

Crash Test Foamy
I thoroughly tested the fan before flight too, it seemed to be all balanced nicely. One of my retracts failed from the outset - intermittently working with the retract motor feeling and smelling very hot. :(

sandblaster

mikey,

Just curious, were you running the recommend battery or an bigger one? Was the battery puffed after the flight? Just wondering if there was a outside cause to possible over speeding the motor are a simple blade failure. Sometimes looking at the big picture is worth while if for no other reason to rule out other causes.

mikey

Crash Test Foamy
Hey Sandblaster, the recommended battery listed for this aircraft is a 4s 2200-2650, but the video review of the plane made by the guys at Durafly (they design and build the Vampire for Hobby King) suggested a 4s 3300 which is the battery size I went with. Doing the walk of shame to pick up the the pieces of the Vampire I checked the battery and it was cool and non-puffy.

Well mikey, I hope this was just an unlucky isolated case (and I wish you the best in getting a positive resolution from Hobby King). I just saw they added this plane to the USA Warehouse tonight. When I saw it, there was only 1 left in stock and so I jumped on it immediately. Came here and read all this afterwards... Here's crossing my fingers!
-Jeff

John Campbell

Hey Sandblaster, the recommended battery listed for this aircraft is a 4s 2200-2650, but the video review of the plane made by the guys at Durafly (they design and build the Vampire for Hobby King) suggested a 4s 3300 which is the battery size I went with. Doing the walk of shame to pick up the the pieces of the Vampire I checked the battery and it was cool and non-puffy.

Sorry to see that Mikey. Hope it goes back together without too much problem... That is one nice thing about foam. They take a lot of abuse.

John Campbell

Well mikey, I hope this was just an unlucky isolated case (and I wish you the best in getting a positive resolution from Hobby King). I just saw they added this plane to the USA Warehouse tonight. When I saw it, there was only 1 left in stock and so I jumped on it immediately. Came here and read all this afterwards... Here's crossing my fingers!
-Jeff

I just noticed that as well. The Vampire as well as others are in the USA Warehouse.

I check for new stuff daily. I had checked only a couple hours prior and it wasn't listed, so I'm wondering how many were available. As I mentioned, there was only 1 in stock when I saw the Vampire had been added to the USA warehouse. I doubt I was the first and only one to pick one up from the new stock, so if anyone else got one from there, let us know!
I got a packing confirmation, so I know it's all ready to ship out :)

5 are now backordered at the moment now too. So hopefully they restock them soon for you guys.
Happy flying!
-Jeff

Got my Vampire yesterday!

Did a quick look through it all and this is one great looking plane. The foam "tabs" on the front of the wings aren't even broken on mine like I've seen on many unboxing videos on youtube. They do bend pretty easy, so I'll reinforce them with a light coat of glue when assembling things.

I won't have time to build her for a while (maybe make it a project for this weekend sometime), but I'm certainly looking forward to it!
-Jeff

Not too much action in this thread... What gives?
Well, I did most of the assembly over the weekend. Some 5 & 15 minute epoxy (and I like to use a dab or 2 of foam-safe CA with kicker to hold the pieces together firm while the 15 minute epoxy sets) and she's pretty much all done. Had to swap in a Deans type connector too.

Going to hit the thrift store this week in search of some fun pilot figures for this and a couple other planes. Then I'll get the canopy glued on and hang her up for a while. As much as I'd like to fly her, my DX7 memory is full. AND I need to fly some other unmaidened birds first. I'm sure to crash something pretty quick anyhow - I just don't get out to fly very often.

A note on assembly: I almost epoxied the right wing on before routing my elevator wire through it. This would have been a huge mistake - keep in mind you need to either glue your tail boom onto the wing first (and route the wire at the same time) or atleast run the wire before assembling that wing. No way to get the wire into the fuse once you glue that wing on - without digging out some foam. I glued my elevator to the tail booms first, then glued the left wing, routed the elevator wire through the right wing & glued that wing. After that I glued both tail booms to the wings at the same time. I was hoping this order would result in the best odds of having everything squared up well. Looks good!

Also, I read others explain that you need to remove the foam EDF cover from the bottom of the plane before attaching the wings too, or else it will be epoxied on forever. I took their advice & am glad I can still get to the motor & fan if I need to.

Oh, and apparently the CG listed in the manual is wrong too. People building these jets say that 10-20mm forward from what the manual says is the correct CG for it. I'll start in the middle of that and see how I like it.
2012-04-01_01-39-50_946.jpg 2012-04-01_01-47-13_86.jpg 2012-04-01_01-56-03_76.jpg 2012-04-01_06-44-02_891.jpg