Hobbyzone Delta Ray upgrade

lahannsven

The Hobbyzone Delta Ray is a perfect plane for my son (9 years old). It flies also well in stronger wind and AS3X stabilizes it well.

The only weekness is the stock motors. Here I read about the upgrade to Xtreme 180 Pro motors. But such an upgrade also forces you to change your ESC, receiver and battery.

Here I don't find any infos. I am also missing the exact spec of the Xtreme 180 Pro motors (Voltage, Ampère, which ESC to connect etc.).

May be you have ideas.

Thanks

Sven

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
The Xtreme pro's don't require any other hardware, that is why it is attractive. I am not sure anyone on here has ever completed this swap but I have seen a lot of youtube videos on it. I think you have to swap the power connector to the proper JST.

If you go brushless you will need separate ESCs and Rx for the motors but you can use the stock RX for the flight control surfaces with SAFE and AS3X. I flew mine in this dual RX configuration for a while until a soldering accident ruined the SAFE Rx and I had to fully convert it. I used 1806 motors for my brushless upgrade and it has a ton of power with the right props.

The motors on my second DR are getting a weak so I may try the Xtreme Pro swap on it.

lahannsven

Thanks for your reply!

I read that the Xtreme 180 Pro motors pull to much Ampère and possibly kill the motherboard. Maybe I only start with 80% throttle first.

It would be the easiest solution.

But other more powerful brushless motors also would be interesting. I am thinking about AR636 AS3X receiver with a more powerful ESC with 2S 2200mAh battery or even 3S. I have various transmitters from my helicopter collection: Spektrum, Futaba and Graupner. Therefor any receiver combined with a good flybarless system would go.

The Delta Ray is a super solid plane for the kids (my son 9 years and his friend 8 years). And the SAFE technology avoids any crash. We were flying this bird with wind boosts up to 25 mph.

I don't know any other bird as solid and durable for young beginners. That's why I want to upgrade it.

Sven

lahannsven

Hi Capt_Beavis,

still a question left. Which 1806 motor exactly did you use, and how did you fix it on the Delta Ray, also which propeller ?

A picture would be nice.

Sven

Capt_Beavis

I used the same Emax 1806 2280kV motors that flite test sells. I used two of the conventional CCW props with the red nose initially. I later ordered a set of CW/CCW motors. The plane flew the same with either set, I just needed some extra motors and thought counter rotating would be cool. I used 1806 because I destroyed my Mini Cruiser in a water landing (crash) and the motors mount perfectly to the stock fairings on the Delta Ray. The ESCs easily fit into them also. Note that I had two delta rays. One in perfectly good condition and one that I had crashed earlier destroying both motors, the ESCs on the board, the fairings and the nose. I had extra parts, a body that was sitting in the garage and nothing to lose by giving it a go. I am really glad I did though. It is a great plane that I have let people that are still learning fly and they can do well with it.

IMG_2631.JPG

http://www.amazon.com/Emax-Mt1806-B...UTF8&qid=1458451213&sr=1-8&keywords=EMAX+1806

Capt_Beavis

Oh, and unless you are planning on doing epic FPV runs you don't need more than 1000mAh battery. I generally fly with a 3S 800mAh and it gives me good flight times. With the stock 2S it is also noticeably more powerful. I wouldn't even consider putting more than a 1300mAh 3s in it. The weight is going to hurt the flight characteristics.

lahannsven

Thanks a lot Capt Beavis,

The picture helps a lot, also very good to get the exact spec of motor and propeller.
I guess an As3x receiver would do best. I am thinking about Ar636 As3x receiver.

The Delta Ray is really a unique easy to fly beginner plane. More power with brushless will be very useful.

Sven

Capt_Beavis

The props I have on are 5x4.5x3. I have also used APC props from 4-6" with about a 4.5 pitch. The 5s and 6s were the best. Avoid 5x3 and 6x3 props. They actually have less power than stock on a 2S setup although they would make for a decent trainer on a 3s. I use the ESCs from the A power pack. I also flew with with some 6x45x3s but they didn't fit the prop shaft well and vibrated. they are great on the Arrow though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XHKQ2JS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01