Hobbyzone Sport Cub S BNF and RTF owners thread

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I got mine on Monday, so I can finally join the C(l)ub! Now if I could get a little less wind in the afternoon...

Swimjim

Well, about a year and a half has passed since I bought my Sport Cub S. At first, being a new pilot, I did not think it could tolerate any wind. After binding it properly to my DX6 and learning how to fly it, I have done a 180 on that opinion. The plane has taken a ton of abuse teaching me how to fly and looks it. But these days, everytime I toss it into the wind it not only flys but flys well. It got away from me a couple weeks back. I spent hours looking for it. No dice. I was driving down the road a few fields over and happened to spot something white and out of place. Found it. A little hot glue and some tlc and back in the air again. What an awesome little plane! it should say on the box "Noob tolerant" LOL

Florida Air

Problem with Experienced Mode - Sport Cub S

:confused: Hi - I am admittedly a newbie, and I've had good success flying the Sport Cub S in Beginner Mode.
I have two Sport Cubs...I crashed #1 into a wooden fence and I was unsure if it could be repaired properly, so in addition to buying the necessary parts to fix #1 I also bought #2. Both are BNF and I'm using a Spektrum DX7s. I did get #1 up and running again and it's seems to fly just as it did when it was new.

My problem is with Experienced (and possibly Intermediate) Mode. Whenever I go into either mode it immediately nosedives toward the ground. Today I couldn't switch it back to Beginner Mode quick enough before #2 went nose first into the ground (another motor mount whacked out position). I then switched to Cub #1 and got it up to about 75 feet (in Beginner Mode) to give myself plenty of time to switchback to Beginner Mode. It did the exact same thing - it immediately drops the nose and heads straight for the ground. This time I switched back to Beginner and it quickly leveled out. Both instances happened with the throttle around 50% - 75%.

Any ideas what is going on here?

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I have a number of standard "4 button" LiPo chargers. What sort of connector should I buy to charge Sport Cub S batteries with my standard chargers? I can solder normal sized connectors, so the end going to the charger doesn't much matter (I always use XT-60). Soldering and assembling some of the micro connectors can be a much bigger hassle than it's worth if I can buy a cable of some sort and modify an end.

Does the battery FliteTest sells (https://store.flitetest.com/200mah-1s-3-7v-45c-lipo-battery/) fit in the Sport Cub S?

I ordered a Sport Cub S yesterday and have the chance to fly indoors on the 18th, so just trying to think ahead.

Thanks,

Mike

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I did get one of these type of connectors to charge multiple UMX batteries from a standard charger but.....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...5qU4G6Y-_K_pxYhqIyO4Wrraz0hvsPRJURBoCRWXw_wcB

... but I usually bring this one with me when flying micro's and just charge up a 2200 mah 3 cell ahead of time to act as a mobile power source for the UMX charger. This one handles all the different weird little batteries, and doesn't tether me to a wall outlet or a big power source.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131350923839?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I did get one of these type of connectors to charge multiple UMX batteries from a standard charger but.....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...5qU4G6Y-_K_pxYhqIyO4Wrraz0hvsPRJURBoCRWXw_wcB

... but I usually bring this one with me when flying micro's and just charge up a 2200 mah 3 cell ahead of time to act as a mobile power source for the UMX charger. This one handles all the different weird little batteries, and doesn't tether me to a wall outlet or a big power source.

The last one should work fine since I have a 12V power supply at home and plenty of 2200mh batteries for on the road.

Thanks,

Mike

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-micro-battery-charging-box.html -$9.99 US East.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
:confused: Hi - I am admittedly a newbie, and I've had good success flying the Sport Cub S in Beginner Mode.
I have two Sport Cubs...I crashed #1 into a wooden fence and I was unsure if it could be repaired properly, so in addition to buying the necessary parts to fix #1 I also bought #2. Both are BNF and I'm using a Spektrum DX7s. I did get #1 up and running again and it's seems to fly just as it did when it was new.

My problem is with Experienced (and possibly Intermediate) Mode. Whenever I go into either mode it immediately nosedives toward the ground. Today I couldn't switch it back to Beginner Mode quick enough before #2 went nose first into the ground (another motor mount whacked out position). I then switched to Cub #1 and got it up to about 75 feet (in Beginner Mode) to give myself plenty of time to switchback to Beginner Mode. It did the exact same thing - it immediately drops the nose and heads straight for the ground. This time I switched back to Beginner and it quickly leveled out. Both instances happened with the throttle around 50% - 75%.

Any ideas what is going on here?
Interesting.... mine did the same thing last time I had it out. Pretty much finished it off. Looking to repurpose the electronics into something else.

Cheers,
Litterbug

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
it is not unusual for the elevator to go out of trim in storage. It is a constant battle with mine. Beginner mode and the panic button compensate but out of beginner it nose dives. You will need to do mechanical trim to get it back to center. It should be recoverable with up elevator (down on the stick). It is one of the biggest issues I have with this plane and it lead to my poor daughter crashing when I put her in into expert mode.

Mine will be two years old in a few weeks.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Mine was not a trim issue. It was more like full down elevator and no response from the sticks. Happened more than one time. The last time was probably it's last. May try to hot glue and tape it back together for an indoor fly next weekend, but too much damage to replace costly, overpriced parts.

Cheers!
LitterBug

bob152637485

they are adhesive on, there is a lip on the back of the wing part. I start in the front with a thin blade, I more or less ever so gingerly used my fingers and lifted up the wing, will start to separate. time is in on your side don't rush it I my still have my old spare parts I can demonstrate with a video.if need be.?

I know this thread is a few years old now, but after looking around on the internet, this was the closest thing I came to for my issue.

My plane got stuck in a tree quite high up, and though I was able to get it down by tying enough long sticks together and jabbing at it, the process did quite a lot on damage.

I have made all the repairs using tape and glue, but the only part which I needed to reorder a replacement for was the main wing itself. Would you still be willing to post a video of how the wing is removed, so that when the new one comes in the mail I can remove the old one and install the new one? Thank you!

WildDoktor

Hey all; I'm almost a new owner (of a used SCS)...should be here in a couple days. I'm trying to figure out before it gets here how to bind it to my Devo 7e. Anybody know how to do this? I started another thread before finding this one, if you'd like to comment there or get the whole story. I'd appreciate it!

WildDoktor

Hey all; I received my new-to-me-but-used SCS last week. The day I got it, I sold my Devo. :) I bought an irx4+ module for my taranis x9d+ and have mostly figured out the programming. I've now put 9 batteries thru the SCS and I have a bad problem past about 3/4 throttle. Again, this is a used SCS, and it has a P-51 motor/gearbox installed. Can somebody please check this video and help me figure out what's wrong with this thing? Thanks!

dsplzion

Does anybody know if this will work with the Sport Cub S and my Taranis x9d? I have this module and it works great for my ppm quadcopters but I'm starting to wonder about this plane. I can select DSMX or DSM2 in the tx but I can't find any more info than that.

Bricks

Master member
Dispizion that is normal if the transmitter was not turned on it will not initialize inverted and the bind light comes on if transmitter is not on.

Wilddoktor sad to say but the motor is going out if it is like mine did the same thing then died.

dsplzion

Dispizion that is normal if the transmitter was not turned on it will not initialize inverted and the bind light comes on if transmitter is not on.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, when it goes into bind mode, the leds blink like crazy and the beeper goes on solid like you can hear in the video?

I'm getting really frustrated because I can't figure out if my radio setup will not allow me to bind to the plane, if I'm doing it wrong, or if this plane is somehow faulty. I don't even know what I don't know.

I just updated the firmware on my X9D+ to the latest version and I've tried every protocol I thought might be correct but now the weekend begins so I can't call Horizon until monday and I'm afraid they might not give me support anyway because my radio is not on the list of supported ones. I just wish i could get some straight answers from somebody but there is so much information out there for these three products. I'm even considering buying a spectrum TX just so I can avoid this issue. If I need a different protocol module I will purchase one but I don't want to do that if I don't actually need to.