How Airplanes Fly ?

teflyer

Full Circle
Would you think that it is more efficient? I would think the torque needed to spin all those rotors would require a larger motor that would consume fuel more quickly. Of course, there is supposed to be high lift...

teflyer

Full Circle
Another question!
Why do fighter jets have their engines in the back if it makes them notoriously tailheavy and the only way to control them is through a computer, fly-by-wire (the F-22 maybe?)?
Edit: Since I think that the answer is because that method is the most efficient in delivering the energy to kinetic energy...
Has there been any efficient techniques that puts the engine farther forward, or is that the delta wing idea (the Eurofighter, the Rafale, the Gripen)?

How are delta wings beneficial?

Last edited:

Pilot-294

i wouldn't say jets are so much mounted at the "back" of the plane. they start just behind the cockpit on most all jets, and they exit the rear. the actual engine is mounted somewhere in between the center of all that.

the actual engine is closer to the rear of the wing in most cases.

take a look at this f-22 cutout

AIR_F-22_Cutaway_lg.jpg

the engine turbines start JUST behind where the CG is most likely located.

Jet engines are heavy but they are made out of mostly Titanium in most all cases as Ti is terrible strong and EXTREMELY lightweight. so they are not even close to as heavy as one might think. plus with all the crap they stuff up the nose of a jet any more the weight as well as the overall length of the nose makes it easy to counterbalance the engines.

look at any good jet design and you will see that the CG is normally near the center of the plane. not close to the nose like in a prop plane. so the weight difference is not as bad as you think.

and delta wings are a combo of getting the most wing area possible while keeping the plane as light and maneuverable as possible. only drawbacks are the size of the control surfaces and other general problems with the setup being new"ish" because its underused and probably for a reason.

hope this helps. I'm half outta my skull packing and prepping so i hope i have it all as right as i can be lol

teflyer

Full Circle
Hello,
Is there any advantage or disadvatage to have a sharp leading edge rather than a blunt one (Clark Y)?
Thanks.

Pilot-294

Sharp gives less drag at the LE but is a longer surface. So more overall drag from the wing surface itself due to length. A "blunt" edge has more drag at the LE but is a shorter wing chord.

Both are good for what they do.

Sharp edges are better for high speed planes with low loads due to the overall normally smaller wing thickness.

blunt has a thicker wing, flys slower but carries higher loads

it ALL also depends on how the wing is set up.

teflyer

Full Circle
THanks! I read somewhere that sharp leading edges are best for supersonic flight and do not do well at all is subsonic flight with the probable exception of gliders.