Help! I cannot get my plane to work.

Corsair714

Something wrong here, see Corsair714 post above, yet the OP says he cant afford a programming cable ?
I beleive he is talking about a programming cable for the receiver. He can't program the remote, but the receiver he has is programable. Atleast I think it is programable. Also OP? What's that mean? lol

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
You should already have a programming cable which should have come with your receiver, its the adapter thats sold sepertely. That is nothing to do with calibrating your ESC though your transmitter.
I am assume the programming cable and adapter is for setting up the 3axis on board flight stabilisation in the receiver ?
You dont make things easy for yourself :unsure:, you would have been better of with a straight forward receiver.

What happend to flying planes with a transmitter and skill. These days its all over complicated by flight controllers and gyro stabilisation :confused:.
I feel guilty for adding an elevator mix with my flaps on my transmitter :oops: and very guilty for adding a rudder mix to my aileron settings on scale models, for co-ordinated turns :eek::oops:.

I dont know if the program which operates the AS3x, is conflicting with your transmitter set-up ? This might be why you are only getting trim adjustment and no stick control.
I would suggest you find someone with knowledge of how to set up an on board AS3x, in case its that causing the conflict. Or it could be as Axe said you just need to calibrate your ESC. As you would with any ESC, transmitter set-up.

In a normal world you would just be able to bind your receiver to your transmitter, then calibrate your ESC. Only then would you be able to add peripherals like flight stabilisation.
Unfortunately my only experience of flight stabilisation is with the HobbyEagle range of stand alone units, so I will bow out at this point on this particular thread.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I beleive he is talking about a programming cable for the receiver. He can't program the remote, but the receiver he has is programable. Atleast I think it is programable. Also OP? What's that mean? lol
Ass ume it means Original Poster (of the thread) ?
Or something not to dissimilar in meaning.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I personally would contact Spektrum customer services and request some technical support to resolve this issue. After all they the bee's knees :rolleyes::unsure:

Corsair714

You should already have a programming cable which should have come with your receiver, its the adapter thats sold sepertely. That is nothing to do with calibrating your ESC though your transmitter.
I am assume the programming cable and adapter is for setting up the 3axis on board flight stabilisation in the receiver ?
You dont make things easy for yourself :unsure:, you would have been better of with a straight forward receiver.

What happend to flying planes with a transmitter and skill. These days its all over complicated by flight controllers and gyro stabilisation :confused:.
I feel guilty for adding an elevator mix with my flaps on my transmitter :oops: and very guilty for adding a rudder mix to my aileron settings on scale models, for co-ordinated turns :eek::oops:.

I dont know if the program which operates the AS3x, is conflicting with your transmitter set-up ? This might be why you are only getting trim adjustment and no stick control.
I would suggest you find someone with knowledge of how to set up an on board AS3x, in case its that causing the conflict. Or it could be as Axe said you just need to calibrate your ESC. As you would with any ESC, transmitter set-up.

In a normal world you would just be able to bind your receiver to your transmitter, then calibrate your ESC. Only then would you be able to add peripherals like flight stabilisation.
Unfortunately my only experience of flight stabilisation is with the HobbyEagle range of stand alone units, so I will bow out at this point on this particular thread.

If the plane and the receiver came together there would not be a programming cable included. Like if it was a bind-n-fly or something like that. What plane do you have @BuilderNull?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok I just did some actual research instead of guessing since I am not familiar with Spectrum stuff...

First you need a bind plug for the receiver. That needs to go into the battery / bind slot
Next turn on your radio while holding the Trainer switch. Let go of switch and the row of power lights should have one green light steady lit.

Power on the receiver and you should see a blinking light.
Use the trainer switch again on the radio for 10 seconds according to some videos.
Release the switch and after a few seconds the light on the receiver should turn solid.

Un power the receiver and radio IN THAT ORDER. remove the bind plug.

At this point you should be able to turn on your radio then power the receiver and get a solid light and everything should work properly

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Ok I just did some actual research instead of guessing since I am not familiar with Spectrum stuff...

First you need a bind plug for the receiver. That needs to go into the battery / bind slot
Next turn on your radio while holding the Trainer switch. Let go of switch and the row of power lights should have one green light steady lit.

Use the trainer switch again on the radio for 10 seconds according to some videos.
Release the switch and after a few seconds the light on the receiver should turn solid.

At this point you should be able to turn on your radio then power the receiver and get a solid light and everything should work properly
Guessing he's done that already as he claims the trims are working and active. This can only happen if the receiver and transmitter are bound ?
Why the gimbal movements are producing no response on the control surfaces, I have no idea. Beyond some kind of software conflict, which I can only assume is linked to either the flight stabilisation software ? or incompatability of his 5ch transmitter with a recently released 6ch receiver ?

Corsair714

That's probably a good way to start. It seems like the radio and receiver are connected though. Just not working properly.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Guessing he's done that already as he claims the trims are working and active. This can only happen if the receiver and transmitter are bound ?
Why the gimbal movements are producing no response on the control surfaces, I have no idea. Beyond some kind of software conflict, which I can only assume is linked to either the flight stabilisation software ? or incompatability of his 5ch transmitter with a recently released 6ch receiver ?

It gets him to a point WE know for sure if he follows those steps. then we can move on from there if needed. It wont be the first computery thing out that that benefited from a reboot if it works hehe.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Point taken.
Actually Spektrum recommend binding initially to the receiver, then binding again once you have built your plane to finalise settings.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am a huge supporter of FC's for the fact of building confidence in the first dozen flights, and thats stretching it. You should be able to figure it out by then, and have a meaningful understanding as to how aerodynamics affect the plane. However it will be a crutch when push comes to shove, and you will lose a plane. Electronics break down, fail, improperly hooked up or programmed, so many variables. All fixable but experience will be the key

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am a huge supporter of FC's for the fact of building confidence in the first dozen flights, and thats stretching it. You should be able to figure it out by then, and have a meaningful understanding as to how aerodynamics affect the plane. However it will be a crutch when push comes to shove, and you will lose a plane. Electronics break down, fail, improperly hooked up or programmed, so many variables. All fixable but experience will be the key
When I started flying there was no flight stabilisation or gyros, you learnt from experience. Sometimes the hard way, but you learnt.
For people starting off now I can see the advantage for them, helping to stablise against adverse wind conditions. Thus allowing you to learn the basics of handling the plane with a safety net. However, as Battleaxe stated dont become reliant on them, or you wont learn the basics of how a plane actually fly's or how to get yourself out of trouble when things go wrong.

lechos

Oui je parle un peu français j'étais en France plus tôt cette année, arrêté en Normandie.
IanT, je te remercie de faire un effort pour ton français, c`est un peu comme nous au Québec, peu de chance de pratiqué une autre langue. Nous sommes les Gaulois de l'Amérique ;-). Une chance qu'il y a Google Translate pour venir a notre aide.
Now in english: IanT, thank you for making an effort for your French, it's a bit like us in Quebec, little chance of practicing another language. We are the Gauls of America ;-). Luckily there is Google Translate to help us.

slowjo

Master member
IanT, je te remercie de faire un effort pour ton français, c`est un peu comme nous au Québec, peu de chance de pratiqué une autre langue. Nous sommes les Gaulois de l'Amérique ;-). Une chance qu'il y a Google Translate pour venir a notre aide.
Now in english: IanT, thank you for making an effort for your French, it's a bit like us in Quebec, little chance of practicing another language. We are the Gauls of America ;-). Luckily there is Google Translate to help us.
In USA if someone swears, they say "pardon my French" if you swear in French, do you say "pardon my English" :ROFLMAO::LOL::eek: