I'm a Shark!

Andrew

G'day Mate
Just finished my second Shark, this time it's 75% size, this one has no motor because I'm going to ridge/slope fly it. It wasn't until I was 3/4 the way through printing it all that I finally worked out much better Cura settings and things looked 95% better. I've learned a lot while printing this Shark, I need to keep printing so I don't forget what I've learnt.
PS, if your wondering why all the different colours, I have 6 rolls of esun filament to get rid of !!!
DSCF6573.JPG

DSCF6584.JPG

All this 3D printing talk lately has given me the itch to fire up my printer again and give the Shark a go. Since this one won't be rc I reduced it to 50% size, and to save time printing I removed some infill in some pieces. I'm using a old version of Cura so some parts like the wing had strange artefacts left behind from the removed infill and the gills wouldn't even touch the bed in Cura no matter what angle I turn it to, I've never had this problem before, my version of Cura just doesn't like this Shark, but it still turned out ok... Just.
I started Speed400 pylon racer this morning I'm about halfway through printing it and it's looking very nice so far, I'm going to use for slope/ridge soring.
I ended up building both versions of the Speed 400 pylon racer (Nucken Futs), the slope has a longer nose and longer wing's, the motorised version had shorter nose with air in-takes and out-takes and shorter wings, I'm still assembling the motorised one.
DSCF6569.JPG

DSCF6589.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF6585.JPG
    DSCF6585.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
@sundown57 - I am so sorry my friend, but I did have to show my wife the video - she was wondering why I was laughing! - my 2 cents worth on 3D printed planes is probably not worth 2 cents, but I have found the hybrid versions I have built to be the best and most robust - I think it is better to focus on the fuse with 3D printing and use foam wings as they are easier to build and more robust!
It's nice to know my planes are bringing enjoyment to someone. Would have hated to do all that work for nothing lol.

sundown57

Legendary member
Just finished my second Shark, this time it's 75% size, this one has no motor because I'm going to ridge/slope fly it. It wasn't until I was 3/4 the way through printing it all that I finally worked out much better Cura settings and things looked 95% better. I've learned a lot while printing this Shark, I need to keep printing so I don't forget what I've learnt.
PS, your wondering why allows the different colours, I have 6 rolls of esun filament to get rid of !!!
View attachment 159330
View attachment 159331

I ended up building both versions of the Speed 400 pylon racer (Nucken Futs), the slope has a longer nose and longer wing's, the motorised version had shorter nose with air in-takes and out-takes and shorter wings, I'm still assembling the motorised one.
View attachment 159333
View attachment 159334
any chance of you exporting one of your cura profiles? I'm still struggling to get it right. That would be a great starting point for a few of us.

sundown57

Legendary member
I guess whatever one worked best for you. I'm trying now to print the motor cover for the 1914 monoplane. I've tried like 6 times and can't get it. So maybe just seeing how others have done it might work for me.

Attachments

• Motorhaube_Segment_1.STL
    5.8 MB · Views: 0

Andrew

G'day Mate
I guess whatever one worked best for you. I'm trying now to print the motor cover for the 1914 monoplane. I've tried like 6 times and can't get it. So maybe just seeing how others have done it might work for me.
Try this, it has a small brim and some support.

Attachments

• TEST284864_63882daa60d17437f471f7745df38cdd.gcode
    5.7 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
Not sure what you mean?
One thing I am doing now is measuring the filament diameter with digital calipers when making the settings and then inputting the measurement, I think it doe's help.
Every roll you should measure the filament and enter it in.

Scaling (weighing) each part after you changed the cura profile . Most of the time the designer will give you a weight of what each part should weigh once printed so you know what the final plane should scale in at. If you experimented and printed 2 or 3 of the same part until you came up with a print you were happy with I would have also scaled each part to compare weights, you can have a super nice strong print but it can also weigh twice as much.

Andrew

G'day Mate
Every roll you should measure the filament and enter it in.

Scaling (weighing) each part after you changed the cura profile . Most of the time the designer will give you a weight of what each part should weigh once printed so you know what the final plane should scale in at. If you experimented and printed 2 or 3 of the same part until you came up with a print you were happy with I would have also scaled each part to compare weights, you can have a super nice strong print but it can also weigh twice as much.
I see what you mean now.
No I haven't been weighing, just didn't bother to do it, just printing with the least amount that I felt structurally safe to do. Next time I will be doing the fuselage with a thicker shell but the wings can stay the same.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Ok, it's almost 2am here, lol
I've never made a zip file before, I'll give myself a crash course tomorrow morning on how to zip it, lol.
Just right click on the file and you will see the option to compress it into a zip file, the zip file is the one you want to post or or attach in the post.