I'm a Shark!

sundown57

Legendary member
ok. having a problem with 2 prints. Wasted more than half a roll of PLA already. I printed the red ones with no problem at all. and they both have major overhangs and printed perfectly. I can't figure out how to orient the 2 .STL files to get them to print right. I've tried with support, without support, infill at 20 and 90%, no support just infill, no infill just support, all failed. I just can't get them to print yet the red ones in the picture printed perfectly. Any suggestions ?.

Attachments

• IMG_4712.JPG
    IMG_4712.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Motorhaube_Segment_1.STL
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Motorhaube.STL
    675.4 KB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
ok. having a problem with 2 prints. Wasted more than half a roll of PLA already. I printed the red ones with no problem at all. and they both have major overhangs and printed perfectly. I can't figure out how to orient the 2 .STL files to get them to print right. I've tried with support, without support, infill at 20 and 90%, no support just infill, no infill just support, all failed. I just can't get them to print yet the red ones in the picture printed perfectly. Any suggestions ?.
What part or how did it fail? Looking at the picture the 1st one you think should print without infill or support, second I would flip and use support.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Looked closer at picture 1, it would need a support, the outer lip is lower then the center ring

Wildthing

Legendary member

Do you use the preview option after slicing so you can look at each layer?

sundown57

Legendary member
it fails on the curve, Problem is its made up of 2 walls with just a super-thin space between them. the first picture is with the curve on the bottom with support. First layer was mostly just strings and second layer had nothing to stick to so it just failed. second picture is with the curve on top with support but then it failed trying to bridge the gap. there is a piece that goes on before these. like an extension. I printed that just fine but it has no curve.

Attachments

• IMG_4715.JPG
    IMG_4715.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4714.JPG
    IMG_4714.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4713.JPG
    IMG_4713.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
it fails on the curve, Problem is its made up of 2 walls with just a super-thin space between them. the first picture is with the curve on the bottom with support. First layer was mostly just strings and second layer had nothing to stick to so it just failed. second picture is with the curve on top with support but then it failed trying to bridge the gap. there is a piece that goes on before these. like an extension. I printed that just fine but it has no curve.
Change your nozzle, it could be getting plugged and flow then is decreased.

Andrew

G'day Mate
I guess whatever one worked best for you. I'm trying now to print the motor cover for the 1914 monoplane. I've tried like 6 times and can't get it. So maybe just seeing how others have done it might work for me.
I gave it a try (50% size), first one started to fail up the top because it was under extruding, forgot to input esun filament size 1.69mm, was set to 1.75 from previous roll (unsure of brand came with printer).
Second try much better, input correct size filament and increased "Bottom/Top thickness from 0.4 to 0.8 and 10% infill.
A good setting for one part may be bad for another different shape part. Slicer program is a steep learning curve you need to push through if you want good print's.
DSC_1266.JPG

Andrew

G'day Mate
I gave it a try, it's almost there (those loses bits you can see is just support that needs cleaning off), still need to tweak the settings a bit, I'll try again.
DSC_1267.JPG

sundown57

Legendary member
I gave it a try, it's almost there (those loses bits you can see is just support that needs cleaning off), still need to tweak the settings a bit, I'll try again.
View attachment 159436
that sure is a lot better than anything I've accomplished. its got to be something in my settings. but yet I used the very same settings or the fuselage parts and they came out great. but yeah that exactly what it should look like. thank you so much for trying.

sundown57

Legendary member
I've sliced this part like 100 times. THE fastest I ever got was like 4 hours. how the heck can you get it right in less than 2 hours? is it the printer your using?

Andrew

G'day Mate
Compare your expert settings to mine,
Take special note of the "Support","Black Magic" and "Fix Horrible" settings, these caused me grief when printing the Shark.

I've decreased the layer height and increased shell thickness on the one I'm printing now.
Untitled 2.png

Andrew

G'day Mate
I've sliced this part like 100 times. THE fastest I ever got was like 4 hours. how the heck can you get it right in less than 2 hours? is it the printer your using?
I'm cheating a little bit, printing at 50% size to speed things up. I'm using ANYCUBIC I3 MEGA, I've had it about 17 months now, can't fault it a single bit, I love it.

sundown57

Legendary member
it still seems to be a lot faster than the ender. I also noticed your version of cura has much different settings than mine. I'm running 4.5.0

Andrew

G'day Mate
it still seems to be a lot faster than the ender. I also noticed your version of cura has much different settings than mine. I'm running 4.5.0
Yours should print just as fast as mine, it'll print at the speed that you tell it, also I can adjust the speed and temperature while it's still moving and printing on the printers touch screen menu. I'm using a very old version of Cura because my laptop is very old and painfully slow.
Running out of white PLA so switched to purple. This one has the same settings as the screenshot above except layer hight is now 0.15mm and shell thickness is now 0.8mm this is about as good as i'll get without pulling my hair out :)
DSC_1268.JPG

sundown57

Legendary member
Yours should print just as fast as mine, it'll print at the speed that you tell it, also I can adjust the speed and temperature while it's still moving and printing on the printers touch screen menu. I'm using a very old version of Cura because my laptop is very old and painfully slow.
Running out of white PLA so switched to purple. This one has the same settings as the screenshot above except layer hight is now 0.15mm and shell thickness is now 0.8mm this is about as good as i'll get without pulling my hair out :)
View attachment 159451
It looks perfect to me. I'm going to give it a try again tomorrow. at least now I know it can be done. I'm gonna start out like you did at like 50% and get it right there. then increase it. if you feel like posting your curaprofile again I would be happy to use it.

Wildthing

Legendary member
At 50% time will go a lot quicker but I also noticed the Cura profile you have Andrew 15.04.6 , I gather that is a modified Cura that came with your printer .

Andrew

G'day Mate
At 50% time will go a lot quicker but I also noticed the Cura profile you have Andrew 15.04.6 , I gather that is a modified Cura that came with your printer .
No the one that came with it I couldn't load it, so I Googled and searched and found one, download it, crossed my fingers and BINGO it worked. Since then I've tried later version's of Cura and my laptop slows right down.

sundown57

Legendary member
No the one that came with it I couldn't load it, so I Googled and searched and found one, download it, crossed my fingers and BINGO it worked. Since then I've tried later version's of Cura and my laptop slows right down.
if I were you I wouldn't change anything. that's a very nice print

Andrew

G'day Mate
It looks perfect to me. I'm going to give it a try again tomorrow. at least now I know it can be done. I'm gonna start out like you did at like 50% and get it right there. then increase it. if you feel like posting your curaprofile again I would be happy to use it.
Hopefully this profile will work on your latter version of Cura , if it does you may need to adjust the print temperature to suit your PLA.

Attachments

• Cura Profile 2.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 0