In too deep and totally lost

RunningTroll

So I came across Flite Test about a month ago. I have since built 10 different minis and have never even flown a plane before. I am almost done with a P47 regular size. That one seems like it will be fun but not the first one I will fly. What plane should I start to learn to fly with? I have been flying with a flight simulator daily for the past week and a half. Help I want to get a plane in the air.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
what size motor/etc do you have?

if you have an A/F pack size power pack the Tiny trainer is the best to get started with, if you have one of the larger power packs, there are some fairly good options for the bigger power packs (hopefully someone will be a long shortly that can list them off without looking them up).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I like the Simple Scout as a first plane.
The 37" wingspan is floaty. Landing gear for easy launch/landing, and protects the prop somewhat. The build is fairly easy. It's a pretty stable flyer. I think it uses a B power pack, and 1300-ish 3S battery.
The simple scout is pretty good, and I've heard good things about the tiny trainer. The Old Fogey and Old Speedster are fantastic trainers as well. They fly very slowly with the undercambered wings and being a 3 channel they are super simple and easy to fly.

soaring2saturn

The FT Simple Cub was a breeze to fly. I took about a 2, 3 year break from the hobby and just recently got back into it when I saw the FT Cub. Although it’s not a mini, I definitely would recommend for newcomers.

Last edited:

Maxx

Tiny trainer is easy and fun to fly with a A-pack . Not too fast on a 2s and way faster on a 3s . I only tried the 3 channel so far and will go 4 chan very soon . Only drawback is it's a bit of a prop breaker . I really love to fly it, it's easyer to fly than the Simple Cub wich I love too . The Cub is a B-pack and is plenty enough to start with . Flown it with floats on snow this winter and it was a blast to land.
I started with the Cub but should have gone with the Tiny Trainer first . Easy to build too .

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The FT Simple Cub was a breeze to fly. I took about a 2, 3 year break from the hobby and just recently got back into it when I saw the FT Cub. Although it’s not a mini, I definitely would recommend for newcomers.

I kinda have to agree. While the Minis are a great set of planes, the big drawback they have is what makes so many people like them - they're SMALL.

Size matters when you get a breeze; bigger planes with some mass tend not to get pushed around as much as the smaller planes. Also, when you get 50-100 feet away, that smaller plane is MUCH harder to see than when you have a larger plane at the same distance. That's the biggest reason why I like the Simple Cub over the Tiny Trainer.

T1TAN

+1 to the simple cub.
Im also a beginner, but I can fly my simple cub, and it goes really well.

Robert S

This is going to sound weird but, the best thing I ever did was crash hard (by accident) and bust apart my first foam plane.

It's a bit of an emotional experience after putting in all the effort to build the thing but, you after you pick yourself up, take it home and fix it. Then do it again, and again, and again... I believe a person gets better faster.

When I crash now, I laugh a bit because I know I can fix it and I'll be back out the next day. I'm always surprised at just how badly a Plane can be damaged and repaired and still fly reasonably well.

My humble recommendation is to just pick one of the mini's you've built and go fly it with the understanding that it may very likely not come back in one piece. It's like when I go to Vegas... I know ahead of time that any money I put down on a table is likely not going back in my pocket but that's not the point.

Last edited:

T1TAN

This is going to sound weird but, the best thing I ever did was crash hard (by accident) and bust apart my first foam plane.

It's a bit of an emotional experience after putting in all the effort to build the thing but, you after you pick yourself up, take it home and fix it. Then do it again, and again, and again... I believe a person gets better faster.

When I crash now, I laugh a bit because I know I can fix it and I'll be back out the next day. I'm always surprised at just how badly a Plane can be damaged and repaired and still fly reasonably well.

My humble recommendation is to just pick one of the mini's you've built and go fly it with the understanding that it may very likely not come back in one piece. It's like when I go to Vegas... I know ahead of time that any money I put down on a table is likely not going back in my pocket but that's not the point.
lol i did the same with my simple cub, been crashed so many times i cant count. Looks like a flying wreck. But at least its a FLYING wreck, and thats what counts.
:)

Yes! The first one was WAY too precious. Once I figured out it's just a toy plane I made out of craft supplies everything got better. Now I can throw them out as fast as I can build them.

Schindler

So I came across Flite Test about a month ago. I have since built 10 different minis and have never even flown a plane before. I am almost done with a P47 regular size. That one seems like it will be fun but not the first one I will fly. What plane should I start to learn to fly with? I have been flying with a flight simulator daily for the past week and a half. Help I want to get a plane in the air.

If you have that many planes then you should jump in with one.

I recommend the one you have the least emotional attachment too, but it needs to be straight and balanced properly, preferably a tad nose heavy.

Make sure all the controls move in the right direction.

You can start by test gliding it over tallish grass. Set it up as if your going to fly it, put don’t power up the motor. Chuck it level at shoulder height. How it glides will give you a good idea how the trim is and what to expect in first flight.

Do you have an understanding of what the controls do?

1. Thrust provides for changing altitude. High thrust = climb. Low thrust = glide.
2. Elevator controls pitch, which doesn’t mean gaining height, unless you have thrust. Elevator can control speed at fix thrust settings.
3. Rudder controls Yaw, with 3 channels this allows for turns.
4. Ailerons control roll, for leveling wings, as well as rolling into turns.

If you know a proficient pilot, ask them to maiden Your plan and help you learn.

My two cents, from flying RC since 1982, and full scalre since 1992.