Hello, new guy needs advice

Rezzinrezzin

Hi, I’m a newbie to fixed wing. I bought a striX stratosurfer and a ft simple cub. I’ve had a pretty tough time with both to say the least. They’re both pretty beat up but I finally got the stratosurfer flying, very precariously however....
All it has is a six channel fly sky receiver and a 45a esc. So I see now that there are stabilizers that I probably need! So my question is can I use the fly sky receiver and radio with the flute test aura 5 lite board? I also have a couple Frsky xm+ drone receivers and a radio for them. Would those work with that Board?
One more thing.....if I can fly then I would like to build and fpv system...I already have a full dji fpv sys on one of my drones(air unit/camera/goggles and controller). Can that set up even be used to control and airplane?

SNOW6CAT

I don‘t know much about the arura 5 lite, but I would recommend scratch building an easier to fly plane. If you start from a beginner plane then you can work your way up to something like a cub and not have to spend $50 for the board. And if you scratch build all the planes are basically free... Just swap your electronics.

Rezzinrezzin

I was under the impression that the flite test simple cub foam build WAS a good trainer for beginners.?. I’m not exactly sure what you mean by scratch build...
It came as a bunch of pre marked foam panels Which I had to cut out and assemble as well as mount servos for elevator(?) and rudder. The motor pod is a removable foam “box”(also had to be built) carrying the motor and esc and room for the battery. It can be removed and inserted into other f.t. models?
What then is a good plane to start with before moving up to the cub(3 channel) and then the stratosurfer(4 channel with ailerons)?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The ft cub is a good trainer plane, it’s normal to go through 2-3 planes learning to fly.
The aura uses a serial communication, I doubt your plane Flysky Rx is compatible, your quad Rx might be compatible.

I use one of the Hobby Eagle flight controllers with my Flysky Rx. The Hobby Eagle is compatible with any Rx that uses servos.

SNOW6CAT

Scratch build means to draw you own pieces onto foam and cut them out yourself. Its super cheap because instead of a $30 kit you make your plane for $4 out of dollar store foam. The box with the motor and esc is the power pod normally they are swappable between most flite test planes.

jack10525

Everyone on here always raves about scratch building being close to free. Well I’m here to tell you it ain’t. Foam board is roughly a buck a sheet, glue and glue gun at least 10 bucks, decent exacto knife 5 buck, Printing out plans requires a printer, wooden dowels, stir sticks and other odds and end a couple of bucks. Plus all the time to cut out the plane. At this rate you may as well buy a speed build kit.

The strix stratosufer should also a good beginner plane. I had one for over a year until it decided to fly away with a GoPro. Maybe your cg is too far aft or you didn’t throw it hard enough into the wind with enough motor speed and elevator. I Scratch built a simple cub thinking it would be a nice easy flyer. Didn’t fly well at all. Not sure why. Cg was good and it had enough power. Just wouldn’t take off easy or fly straight. Crashed and rebuilt it a few times but it would not fly. I’ve scratchbuilt a few ft planes I could not get to fly well. I’m buying plug and play versions now.

mutai

hello guy I'm new here, so exited to be a member. Was asking what material do you guys use in making rc plane is it the poster board?

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
hello guy I'm new here, so exited to be a member. Was asking what material do you guys use in making rc plane is it the poster board?

Welcome Mutai, It is foam board. Adams foam board works the best. It is available in the States from Dollar Tree stores as well as here at the Flite Test Store.