Is Anybody Interested in a Turbo Ag Cat?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I just found these plans floating around on the internet and thought that the plane looked really cool. I like the beefy look of the whole thing and I know many people have been looking for different biplanes than the Baby Blender, So who would like to see this added to my design list? It will probably use an elements firewall or swappable pod.

Ag Cat.jpg

Let me know any thoughts or concerns you might have or even what you might want out of the aircraft.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
This is the look I will be going for. Christmas break is coming up soon, so this may be the project that keeps me busy.

agcat.jpg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I started making the plans in CAD, so this build will actually be repeatable. I had to add an intake scoop below the forward fuselage to accommodate the power pod, but it should still end up looking very scale.

Here is what it looks similar to at this point in time.

Ag Cat with scoop.jpg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Fuselage and tail are drawn in inventor, wings are coming next. As soon as I have the plans done, I'll start a build thread.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Interesting project, I think the plane is a little too unique to draw much interest on Ft, I've noticed the forum has become almost totally to MR's lately. Still, I like the idea, and think it will be an epic build to add to this community!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I knew it was going to be a niche design. I was really designing it for me, but I figured it would be a good idea to learn CAD to make plans in, so I might as well post them on FT.

BanditJacksRC

Interesting project, I think the plane is a little too unique to draw much interest on Ft, I've noticed the forum has become almost totally to MR's lately. Still, I like the idea, and think it will be an epic build to add to this community!

Just out of curiousity, what do you mean by "MR's"?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I might be able to finish the plans this weekend and get the beta versions up on the build thread, but I probably won't be working on it tonight due to an EAA chapter meeting.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Wing and struts are drawn up in CAD, now I'm working on the formers. I will probably get those done tomorrow, then its onto adding the tabs and notches for building and scaling the plans properly.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Nah, We're still around, lurking creepily in the shadows, smelling of balsa and foam and hot glue...
I fly MR's too, but you'll never take away my slabs! :cool:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The canopy will be a little tricky. I think it will be easiest to do a FT mustang style of canopy where it is made from one piece of poster board. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I am going to reinforce the struts using bar-b-q skewers along the leading and trailing edge, just like the struts on the Baby Blender.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Another quick update, the plans are scaled to 42 inches as they are right now. I like this size, but was wondering what others might want to see for wingspan.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
If the plane is built as is, it will need it's own custom firewall. If I change the nose to make it a swappable, the nose looses a great deal of it's taper. I will be designing a second fuselage to accommodate a power pod after the prototype has been built, unless you guys want to build it as a swappable right away. Let me know, as this will determine how much more I will be working on this today.