It's That Time Of Year Again: Snow Skimmer Shenanigans!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
that's happened to me twice now with the Emax motors. Granted this one ran so hot it melted plastic and all the windings were black afterards from over heating. I may run this off 2s for non speed runs, and 4s once or twice so I don't risk heating it too much every time.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
that's happened to me twice now with the Emax motors. Granted this one ran so hot it melted plastic and all the windings were black afterards from over heating. I may run this off 2s for non speed runs, and 4s once or twice so I don't risk heating it too much every time.
Sounds like you are trying to crank too much power out of it past the rating. Been there, Done that! HIGH kv motors don't like high S counts. :-D

GrizWiz

Elite member
Photos!
IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0251.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0254.JPG IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0256.JPG

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Our snow here is really starting to melt. Will probably be close to 50F by Sunday. I may have to make the next attempt at a pond close by. I'll bring a fishing rod in case it needs to be fished out of the middle.

@Monte.C
EZ FreezerBurn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wha...
What?! Hey that's awesome! I'm honored you played around with this! Listen, Next time I take it out I'll have the motors shimmed up to dead-level instead of a little bit down. Then it should fly right, and if not I can reposition (re-angle) the horizontal stabilizer too. (The elevator can only do so much, the craft needs more "up" in the tail.

You know my final build is a little different than the plan, right? I mounted the motor pods on the vertical stabilizers instead of on their own fins; Made it much cleaner. But if you want to put the motors forward that'll help move weight a little forward. I don't know what it would do for handling but I bet it wouldn't hurt anything - I have plenty of steering control so maybe the motors don't have to be right in front of the rudders. Also, I used a rather light battery, an 850 3S, so if you have a heavier one that might help.

Or if that's just a sketching exercise, that's cool too! (y)(y)

EDIT: Hey wait - you said "EZ" - how small is that??? Forget what I said about motor & battery sizes... :rolleyes:

Taildragger

Legendary member
Wha...
What?! Hey that's awesome! I'm honored you played around with this! Listen, Next time I take it out I'll have the motors shimmed up to dead-level instead of a little bit down. Then it should fly right, and if not I can reposition (re-angle) the horizontal stabilizer too. (The elevator can only do so much, the craft needs more "up" in the tail.

You know my final build is a little different than the plan, right? I mounted the motor pods on the vertical stabilizers instead of on their own fins; Made it much cleaner. But if you want to put the motors forward that'll help move weight a little forward. I don't know what it would do for handling but I bet it wouldn't hurt anything - I have plenty of steering control so maybe the motors don't have to be right in front of the rudders. Also, I used a rather light battery, an 850 3S, so if you have a heavier one that might help.

Or if that's just a sketching exercise, that's cool too! (y)(y)

EDIT: Hey wait - you said "EZ" - how small is that??? Forget what I said about motor & battery sizes... :rolleyes:
I think he means the EZ power pack