Jets, VTOL, and easybuild quad

jomber05

Jets, VTOL, Easybuild Quad for FPV, All Terrain Plane, Airboat, Hovercraft

I love the idea of scratch building, and love even more the idea of speed build kits by flitetest.... but I wish you would come out with more builds to suit my taste.... and so I am posting this thread as a challenge for Flitetest to build the following:

1) More Jets! Specifically, EDF Jets. F-35, F-16, F-18, etc. I don't care for the Viggen style, but I would buy a scratch built kit that was more scale and similar to these jets. Specifically, I like to use the EDF units with a lot of blades, such as the 70mm Changesun 12 blade unit... it is impressive to add into the picture a jet that actually sounds like a jet! This probably isn't much of a challenge though, so lets kick it up a notch... it would be cool to somehow engineer a way to have a "Swappable" EDF motor mount unit that would allow someone to try switching out different EDF Units (with attached thrust tubes... I see a lot of guys who just glue on a pepsi cup) so that you can try the performance of different powered units, 4s, 3s, 64mm, 70mm, etc. I submit this challenge to DAVID since, if I remember right, he created the Viggen.

2) VTOL aircraft! I would love to have detailed instructions, speed build kits, for VTOL aircraft (F-35 with high powered EDF would be awesome... but probably difficult) and build videos to help someone know how to set up electronics and remote to be successful with this. Specifically, I would love to see the V-22 Osprey. I know this is similar to the Chimera which was produced by PETER but I would like one with larger blades, that looks more scale, has cargo drop ability, and could fly and operate more like an osprey with out the 3rd motor on the back. I would love the ability to buy a scratch build and program in the ability to transition from vertical to forward flight... but I wouldn't have a clue as to how this is accomplished and a build video detailing what electronics are required, what to buy, how it all works, would be awesome and well worth the money. If not the osprey, than speed build kits and instructions to be successful with the Chimera.

3) Easybuild FPV Quad - I don't understand why there aren't more scratch build quad kits out there that are more Plug N Play. I was searching google and amazon the other day looking for a Power Distribution Board that didn't require you to solder your ESC onto the board, but had built in 3.5mm bullet connectors, and you could just plug in your ESC's with no soldering. Hobbyking has one, but it had terrible reviews and many issues. I challenge JOSH to design a speed build "EasyBuild Quad Kit". With speed build plane kits, you buy lasercut kits, saves you time and work on having to use the plans. I think the RotorBones build kits are almost like building with plans... make it more of an easy build by soldering on connectors and having it plug and play... a true easybuild. Most of the ESC's I buy for other planes, etc. are presoldered with 3.5mm connectors on both the motor and ESC, so it seems silly to have to cut those off. There still would be some build required, but soldering sucks!

4) All Terrrain Water Proof plane - A water proofed scratch build similar to HobbyKing's Skipper... water proofed electronics, and foam. Is it possible to create some kind of a retractable rudder that could be operated by a switch so that you can drive it around like a boat when it is on the surface of the water? Something that wouldn't tip over easily though.. hate to lose a plane in the middle of a lake! Challenge Flitetest

5) A scratch built swamp boat, or Airboat... swappable for either EDF or Prop setup. Challenge FliteTest

6) A scratch built "Hovercraft" with inflatable base. Challenge FliteTest

Last edited:

earthsciteach

I'd say to redirect your challenge #3 to Eric! Definitely cool ideas. Unfortunately, David is back in Sweden and is not working for FT at the moment.

Hey, FT! I'll cover 4 and 5 if you put me on the payroll! :eek:

Oh, what the heck… I'd take on #1, as well!