LED Props

joker24458

Here's a sneak peek of my most recent project.....an LED propeller. :) Wasn't very sure where to put this thread but this seemed like an ok place to put it. This one is a 9x4.7 "tuff" prop (sold by Twisted Hobbies). I am running the LED's off of three button cell batteries. I'll have more info in the future, but for now I have posted some pics. :)

-Andres

LED prop (1).JPG

LED prop (2).JPG

joker24458

That looks sweet! I wonder if it could be done with slip-rings instead of button cells....

I have thought a lot about using slip rings. That would be preferable over button cells for me. I contacted a company about making some custom slip rings a while ago but they would cost about $400! :eek: I made slip contacts once before and that worked ok but not perfectly (not saying that button cells are perfect.....).

Last edited:

BigAl07

Can you post pics of it in full light? I can't wrap my mind around what/how they are connected.

Have you noticed any loss in power or change in physics with the added weight on the prop tips?

This would be SWEET on a night flyer that's already outfitted with wing/fuse LED too

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
El Wire might look cool also, would give you a big glowing disc, could do 2 different colors for orientation

joker24458

Can you post pics of it in full light? I can't wrap my mind around what/how they are connected.

Have you noticed any loss in power or change in physics with the added weight on the prop tips?

This would be SWEET on a night flyer that's already outfitted with wing/fuse LED too

Sure, I can get some pics later today or tomorrow.

I have not flown with these props yet, but so far I have not noticed any difference in power or vibrations. Most of the weight (batteries) are centered on the prop hub; the only things on the blades themselves are copper tape and SMD LED's, both very lightweight.

Also here is a video of an 8040 prop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNw-yGujM4A

joker24458

El Wire might look cool also, would give you a big glowing disc, could do 2 different colors for orientation

I have seen people do it with EL wire. Although it is very bright near the center of the prop, it starts to get dimmer near the tips since the prop is rotating so fast. The result isn't as bright as LED's in my experience. I had the same type of situation with glow in the dark props; ok brightness near the center but very dim from the halfway point to the tips.

-Andres

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
I have seen people do it with EL wire. Although it is very bright near the center of the prop, it starts to get dimmer near the tips since the prop is rotating so fast. The result isn't as bright as LED's in my experience. I had the same type of situation with glow in the dark props; ok brightness near the center but very dim from the halfway point to the tips.

-Andres

Could you put a small bend in it to try to double it up out near the tips?

I would think the reason it fades out is the fact the tip is covering much more area as opposed to the center of the prop, so doubling it up might make it work better

tyoho

what about induction coils

I have thought a lot about using slip rings. That would be preferable over button cells for me. I contacted a company about making some custom slip rings a while ago but they would cost about $400! :eek: I made slip contacts once before and that worked ok but not perfectly (not saying that button cells are perfect.....).

I just saw this and thought, what would happen if one of the coils was on the spinner and the other was on the front of the cowl.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-electricity-transmission-circuit/

Might not work if one is spinning relative to the other.

BigAl07

Sure, I can get some pics later today or tomorrow.

I have not flown with these props yet, but so far I have not noticed any difference in power or vibrations. Most of the weight (batteries) are centered on the prop hub; the only things on the blades themselves are copper tape and SMD LED's, both very lightweight.

Also here is a video of an 8040 prop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNw-yGujM4A

That's WICKED cool! I look forward to more video/pics. WOW!!

joker24458

Could you put a small bend in it to try to double it up out near the tips?

I would think the reason it fades out is the fact the tip is covering much more area as opposed to the center of the prop, so doubling it up might make it work better

Possibly, yes....I may try that in the future but I will stick to LEDs for now. :)

joker24458

I just saw this and thought, what would happen if one of the coils was on the spinner and the other was on the front of the cowl.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-electricity-transmission-circuit/

Might not work if one is spinning relative to the other.

That is too cool. :D Thanks so much for sharing! I'm not sure how well it will work for an LED prop (close the two coils are, the brighter the LED.....might be a little tough to get them close with a motor in the way but we'll see), but it is very cool and I will be playing around with it anyways. :D