Sopwith Pup, 1/3 Scale by Balsa USA, Rescue

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
I don't have one myself, but if you can deal with pla only and a moderate to small build plate, Makers Muse highly recommends the TronXY X1. it's like a cetus rip off, but from what I've heard it's fairly decent.

maddog

MADDOG
deal with pla only ?
it's like a cetus rip off?

Not knowing anything about 3d printing the above statements mean nothing to me.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
PLA is a type of media used to print 3D. Other options include nylon and ABS, to name a few. Each type has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and I've only used PLA so far and with decent results. I assume the "cetus rip off" is stating the Tron XY X1 is a design rip-off of another brand/model called Cetus. Just a guess, I don't follow 3D printing stuff much. :)

I saw your Pup on RC Scale Builder, and look forward to seeing what you do with it!

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
yup, that's it. but it by all accounts looks like a decent printer.

Here's the Cetus:
cetus-3d-printer-standard.jpg

and here's the TronXY:
tronxy-desktop-3d-printer-2.jpg

Last edited:

skyrydr2

Well its been 5 years since I started my busa pup and just read this thread and decided to re-do all the rigging with updated stuff instead of the du-bro links and soldered sleeves( shivering violently) .
I just wanted to let you know the crimp sleeves and thimbles are available from McMaster-Carr for a 1/4 the price of Balsa USA. They don't have turnbuckles though .
I would love to know how the 2 fellas on here made out with their birds? Mine is still bare bones but will soon be covered with oratex stuff from Busa.
I built a gear reduction drive for mine and used a G38 for the power. It will spin the 32x12 prop to 3800 pretty nice.

skyrydr2

Here is how far along I was at this time 5 years ago.. DOH! I am making headway but painfully slow trying to get all the details and corrections done before I cover it. Everything is stinking pricey! $9 each just for turnbuckles.... just got my order from McMaster-Carr 50 thimbles for $21.00 and 100 original Nicopress sleeves for $13 ! I wish I could find turn buckles for prices like that!

Last edited:

skyrydr2

I am also making all my own hardware mounting points from steel ,brass and aluminum where they are mostly cosmetic. Lucky for me I have cnc milling capabilities to wizzel them out nice and accurate.

skyrydr2

The turn buckles are going to be the fun part! I just ordered all the taps and dies needed to make them as well. Going to use 4-48 thread on them . Hopefully it will be strong enough?

skyrydr2

Next question I have is the mounting points for the flying wires? Are the ones poked through the fuse sides going to stay ?
I made mine out of a slightly wider stock than the plan calls for and I did install a doubler where they mount on the inside.
The front mounting points are not as concerning as there is rugged material there to mount to.
Any help and advise on possible weak points would be greatly appreciated.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I don't have any other advice on the mounting points - it sounds like you're doing all the right things to strengthen them up. The milling on the strut ends looks great! Are you doing all that with hand tools or is there a powered mill involved there?

skyrydr2

I have access to a mill with a Proto-Trac system makes pretty short work of little bits like these.
They are probably not as scale as they should be but they should look a bunch better than nothing at all.