Sopwith Pup, 1/3 Scale by Balsa USA, Rescue

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Just typing out loud about this plane right now... My original thought was to do minimal scale detail on this plane. Colors and markings would be fairly authentic, but that was about it as extra scale detail didn't interest me. Well, that may be changing! I've been looking at other's build threads and am very impressed with how much detail people can put into these WWI designs. It's pretty much convinced me (for now?) to aim somewhere in the middle - more scale detail than originally planned, but not enough to make it contest-worthy.

Balsa USA took this kit out of production, and then re-released it as a much-upgraded kit. One of the big upgrades is the scale suspension for the landing gear, a nice feature for a 30-ish pound plane on rough ground! The new suspension gear is designed to fit on the original design that I've got, so that is on the list. I'm also planning to use Solartex covering, which will give me the weave finish that is appropriate to this plane. It'll be a major improvement over the gloss olive green the plane currently wears. Simulated rib stitching also looks great on a plane like this, so that is on the list now as well. The rudder is currently set up as a pull-pull, and I'm considering changing the elevators to pull-pull as well. Maybe... Some people do the cockpit in such detail it's hard to tell it from the real plane. That won't be me! But it'll be done a bit more scale. I'm still kicking the idea around of painting the Solartex covering, although if the stock colors are close enough I'll probably just go that route. Painting this much area would require me to build a spray booth in the garage, and I'd then be forced to wait for good painting weather as the garage isn't heated.

So lots of game-time decisions on this one, and I'm really looking forward to diving in and getting started!

Maxstudio

I'll be waiting to see how it comes out for you! I love the size!

my FT Mini SAe5
20170326_163652_resized_1.jpg

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Glad to hear it! Solartex is great stuff but it is one of, if not THE, most heavy of the film coverings. These WWI era airplanes do not like tail weight so if you are going to go that way I would certainly not recommend paint on top of the solartex. Just find a color that works. Rib stitching is a great detail to add to give wings better character. It can be tedious but the results will be worth it. See my SE5a build from about 4 or so years ago.

Invest in some pinking shears. The stitching was reinforced with another layer of cloth over them that had the fabric cut using shears. Pink-it tape is true to scale but is very costly. Some basic fabric store shears will do a fine job if you are not going for top gun competition. Just cut strips that go over the rib stitching.

Cockpits can be fun, especially on these large models. I would NOT recommend weaving your own seat. :p I've seen it all from detailed gauge clusters to functional yoke and pedals. Again, it's more weight behind the CG so plan ahead and be smart about your LIGHT construction.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I figured you'd be happy about a decision to add more detail! As mentioned, I'm not planning to go nuts with it, but will at least do more than originally planned. The 1/4 scale Cub I have which has the D-Day markings really is what convinced me. Every time I see it, with the reinforcement strips over the ribs, I like it more and more. It doesn't have the "stitching" under it, but it's still a very nice detail.

For paint, I'm guessing that the stock selection from Solartex will fit the need and no paint will be needed, but it's still open as an option. And yes, it's certainly heavy stuff, but it looks soooo good when applied!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
As the summer rolls on I'm getting supplies and further forming a plan for the Pup. I found a deal on the turnbuckles so I ordered enough to finish the job. Then, I saw a Zenoah G-62 gas engine for sale (used) and placed the order. The Quadra 50 that is currently on the plane is at the low end for power in this plane and a guy very knowledgeable in these birds convinced me it is well worth the time and expense of upgrading. The Quadra is a great engine, but heavy for the size. The 62 will also let me swing a bigger and more scale prop. Since I already have another Quadra 50 I'll just sell one of them to offset the cost of the 62. This has me feeling much better about the future flight characteristics.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Rib stitching is a great detail to add to give wings better character. It can be tedious but the results will be worth it. See my SE5a build from about 4 or so years ago.

Invest in some pinking shears. The stitching was reinforced with another layer of cloth over them that had the fabric cut using shears. Pink-it tape is true to scale but is very costly. Some basic fabric store shears will do a fine job if you are not going for top gun competition. Just cut strips that go over the rib stitching.

Interestingly enough, I had a conversation specifically about Pup pinking with a guy who builds and competes with incredibly detailed 1/3 scale WWI planes and he said the pinking on the Pups (at least most of them) was straight-cut and not the typical zig-zag pattern most planes have. It's a detail that he said many judges don't even know when he's competing.

Here is one of his latest creations, which really shows his mastery of the subject. Jaw-dropping quality!

14883628_1501263583220982_3184258798220737949_o.jpg

18320611_1349472995087712_7831452279621436409_o.jpg

18402030_1349474345087577_906765957449240684_o.jpg

18422434_1788022387878432_6756792943316960961_o.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
His are so good your crayons may have been lead-based! :) He was telling me about all these details I could do and where to source parts, etc. He's a wealth of knowledge and is very enthusiastic about helping me along, which is great considering I've never met him in person. This hobby really does have some great guys in it.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The Zenoah G-62 arrived, and it's a beast! Well, compared to smaller engines, that is. It actually seems smaller than the Quadra 50, but the Quadra is built like a tank. This Zenoah has a spring starter like the Quadra, and I'll need to figure out new throttle and choke linkages, pick up a prop bolt and hardware, and pick up a muffler for it. But it appears to be in very good condition, and I'm looking forward to getting it fired up! The cost to get this engine and all the pieces I need for it will be fairly inexpensive once I factor in the selling price on the Quadra. Money well spent for the extra power.

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Not really, I've been too distracted by fixing up other planes, and now the Balsa Build Along. The Pup is going to take quite a bit of effort and money, so I've been working on my game-plan and figuring out how I want to approach it.

The original plan was to use Solartex covering as a replacement for the shiny Monokote currently on it, but now I'm leaning towards a natural linen type product that would shrunk, sealed, and then painted, as that would look even better and allow me to pick exactly the colors I want to use. Landing gear will probably be replaced with the updated version from Balsa USA that have some suspension travel built in. New wheels are also a must. The new (to me) engine needs parts as well, including the mounting plate and muffler, but luckily there is a good aftermarket company that supplies those parts. The Nicropress (?) system from Balsa USA will also probably be needed to really do the flying wires properly, as they are a structural element required for flight. Interior detail is something I could spend tons of time and money on, so I still need to decide how crazy I want to get with it.

Basically, it's a huge project and I have no doubts that I can fix it up and make it fly, but due to the costs involved I only want to do it ONCE. I've been picking the brain of a friend who does phenomenal quality scale WWI fighters and he's given me a lot to think about. I may not get around to this one for a while, but it's now in my workshop basement in a prime location so I see it every time I walk downstairs, and it keeps calling out to me. :)

maddog

MADDOG
The reason I asked is that I am also in the process of finishing a 1/3 scale pup that was started by someone else.
I picked it up last summer and have started working on it as my winter build.
I just ordered the nicopress stuff from Balsa USA the other day along with the thimbles for the rigging.

I'm changing out the landing gear for the functional one that BUSA also offers.

I have a Zenoah GT-80 mounted on my pup which should work real fine.'

When you get back on the project be sure and post pics and if you have any questions I'll try and answer them for you when you get back on your pup.

All the best.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Sounds like we've got very similar projects. Mine was a rescue from an estate sale just south of Whitewater, so only an hour or so east of you. It'd be great to see some details documented on this forum if you see fit. It's a great learning experience for us all seeing what others do with balsa.

If you're looking for any scale details or tips on items that really should be "fixed" in the original design of the Pup, post it on the Facebook group "Balsa Model Aircraft Builders Association". I've got a friend on there who is huge into WWI scale planes and has built the BUSA Pup a few times. He told me about a few design flaws that should be addressed during a re-build, although I can't find my notes. But if you post the question with a picture he's sure to see it!

Here is one of his recent masterpieces.

12474005_1220866944593659_8481213252791870442_o.jpg

maddog

MADDOG
Yep I am a member on that facebook page; lot's of great info there.
I would sure like to know what is recommended to do differently on the pup before I get to deep into it.
But I am pretty confident the path I am on is a good one; I have been building planes for over 25 years now and my engineering background helps a lot also.
:)

dscn0061.jpg

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Nice looking bones! If I remember correctly the big things he told me to look at are the wing mounting points and the flying wire anchor points. Also, he very strongly recommended adding the extra wires at the outboard wing struts that form an X between the front and rear strut. Those wires help keep the lower wing from shifting, and if the bottom wing falls off the top one is going with it! There were tons of other smaller suggestions, but this guy is heavily into scale so much of his talk was centered on scale detail.

If you need a gun and have a 3D printer, Thingiverse has a Vickers that can easily be scaled to size and it looks MUCH better than the BUSA gun.

maddog

MADDOG
Joker,

I haven't taken the plunge on a 3d printer yet; I guess it's the price that bothers me the most.
I'll post more pics of the pup as I progress, I hope you don't mind me posting on your thread.
Also thanks for the tips on the recommendations for improving the pup; I'll will follow through with those.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Prices have gotten very reasonable on the printers, but the cheaper they are, the steeper the learning curve! Some people get much more use out of them than others. Eventually I need to get the software to design my own parts, but that's just one more thing in a long list of things that need to be done! :) You can post pics here, but creating your own thread would be preferred as it will better show exactly what you're doing to finish yours without confusing it with mine.

Just thinking about more use for the 3D printer, it could be used to print a dashboard and other cockpit details. That's got me thinking... I'll have to look into that to go with the pilot I printed! :)