Sopwith Pup, 1/3 Scale by Balsa USA, Rescue

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
For now, this will be somewhat of a place-holder while I work on other planes and slowly get this one ready for flight.

A week ago I was checking out Craigslist to see if there were any interesting "opportunities" to spend some money. Ad ad caught my eye, advertising an estate sale about an hour from home, but only about 4 miles from work. Nice and convenient, so I headed over there at the 9AM start time on the first day of the sale. The info from the selling company called it an RC Dream Sale, or some silliness like that. In reality, it was high prices and beat-up products with out-dated electronics. But it was mostly good names, like Balsa USA and Sig.

A couple planes were of interest, a Sig Kadet Senior and a Balsa USA 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup. But their prices were higher than buying the kits new, and they both needed a fair amount of repair, so I walked away. All day long it was bugging me, and I really wanted those planes. I had a Kadet Senior kit, new in the box, and gave it to my dad a few weeks ago as he expressed interest in building a bigger plane. It's one I always wanted to fly. At the end of my work day I drove back to see if anything sold and if they'd negotiate prices. Well, EVERYTHING was still there! Not a surprise really, as this estate auction was fairly rural and the prices were pretty high. I talked with the lady running the sale, and we settled on a price for the Pup, Kadet, and a Sig Liberty Sport kit. She seemed pretty happy to see the biggest planes leaving.

Or potentially leaving... The Sopwith Pup fuselage was so big we initially couldn't get it out of the basement! Only after taking the wheels off and having another guy guide the tail were we able to get it into the daylight for the first time in years. She asked if I had a trailer, as the Pup is huge, and then I started to doubt if I was going to fit it all in to my Expedition! With all seats folded it just barely all fit. I hang wing from the ceiling, so the Kadet's wing was up and out of the way. The Pup wings were stacked in wherever they'd fit, since I wasn't too worried about damaging the covering.

IMG_4561.JPG

Even without the wings, it's a big bird! Notice the "pilot" stuffed animal and the home-made Vickers machine gun, those will be addressed very soon. The wheels are also a bit smaller than I'd like, and the eventual goal is to replace them with larger ones.

IMG_4568.JPG

This is what really sold me on the plane, a Quadra 50cc gas engine with spring-start. Quadras aren't the best for weight-to-power ratio, but they're tanks that simply run great. Note the two automotive brake pads stuck to the firewall for nose weight! :)

IMG_4569.JPG

Back to the Vickers machine gun... I found a replacement on Thingiverse and scaled it slightly to make sure it was 1:3 scale (it was designed at 1:36 I believe). Parts were printed, glued together, and painted.

IMG_4597.JPG

Here's the new and old guns, quite a difference! I've also printed some scale bullets and will put them into a belt for a nice detail.

IMG_4600.JPG

The wings are a bit beat up, as is the rest of the plane. The tentative plan is to do only as much work as needed to get it flyable, so I can have some fun with it this season. Then as time and money are available I'll start re-building it and making it nicer. The covering now is generic glossy plastic and I'd like to change that to a woven material for a dull/scale finish.

IMG_4604.JPG

I did a little research after getting it home and found this metal cowl was an upgrade for the kit. It's got a few scrapes and dings, but still looks much better than fiberglass! The blue/white wing is for the Kadet Senior, which is sitting in the foreground. It's pretty rough as well, but should be a fun project.

IMG_4606.JPG

earthsciteach

You made me look at Craigslist. There's a nice field box for sale for $50. I looks a lot like the one Flying Monkey bought not too long. Hmmmm....

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I was looking at it again today and found 2 Sig Kadet Seniors that were pretty rough, $35 OBO/ea. I called but they were already gone. :( Not that I needed more of them, but you never know when they'd come in handy!

Field boxes are getting pretty common at swap meets around here, and there are some really good designs available.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I don't know much about fueled nor what's a good buy but nevertheless, that looks like fun! Congrats. When do you hope to have it in the air?

It was nice catching you on the webcast tonight too.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Good deals are out there for used stuff, and especially if you don't mind a little patina on it! I personally like rescuing planes that may otherwise be junked. This Pup wasn't THAT beat, but certainly needs plenty of help to get it back to life. And for the price I paid, I couldn't go wrong!

Looking at details online tonight, I'm going to have to really look at the flying wires for this plane as they are absolutely required. The plane came with the wires, but they were unmarked and of questionable quality.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Oh, and hopefully I get it in the air this season. It'll be ugly, but a restoration will follow later on.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Just tried to order that kit this week, unfortunately it has been discontinued. I wanted to build one to take to the Old Rhinebeck Jamboree.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I noticed it was recently discontinued as well, and wonder why - probably not high enough sales volume to warrant cutting the wood I guess.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Low volume may have been a factor. It is an old design and prone to wing failure when rigged improperly. I asked if it would be updated and rereleased and the person I spoke with said it was a possibility. I'm now trying to decide between the 1/4 Pup, and the 1/3 Nieuport 28.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I can see where improper rigging would cause a failure, as without it (or done incorrectly) it would be very easy to lose a wing in flight. I haven't laid out all the rigging wires that came with the Pup yet, but from what I can see there aren't a lot of adjustment points to keep the wires tensioned. My tentative plan is to get some scale turnbuckles, ends, and new wire to re-rig all of it so it has some adjustability.

For those who haven't looked at rigging on a plane like this, there are two sets of wires - landing and flying. The landing wires pull UP on the bottom wing when the plane is sitting on the ground, keeping the wings from drooping. The flying wires pull DOWN on the wings while the plane is flying, keeping them from flopping up and breaking the spar. There are other wires involved, but those are the first ones I'll focus on.

DarkFire

I just looked up the real sopwith pup and realized that this 1/3 scale pup has a 9 FOOT wingspan:eek: How did you fit it in the car?:p

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I got a running start with it! With wheels on I don't think it will fit, and without it clears the ceiling by a few inches. When I eventually take it to the field there won't be much room for anything else.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A guy like you who loves detail could absolutely drive himself nuts with detail on a plane like this! From fabric stitching to rigging wires to detailed cockpit, this could very easily be a multi-year project.

Back to the rigging, I saw some build logs from guys who have built this plane, and when it's done right the rigging really adds a TON of detail to the plane. I may have to brave the cold in the garage and try to install the wings soon, which will tell me what hardware I'm missing for the struts and cables.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yet one more thing keeping me from working on the L-19... The Pup has a new Vickers machine gun, and now it needs a pilot to fire that gun. When I got it, the previous owner had a stuffed animal sitting in the cockpit, not quite the look I'm going for, so I found a WWI era pilot design on Thingiverse and printed him! It's just slightly smaller than I want, so I am currently printing his bigger brother. He still needs the silk scarf, but is otherwise a great detail for the plane.

IMG_4611.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The brothers Larry, Darryl, and Darryl reporting for duty! The 3D printing is working well, although the harsh lighting really is messing with Darryl's face a bit throwing some weird shadows on his chin. Each time I printed a pilot that was approx 1/3 scale for the Pup I put him in the cockpit and he just looked too small, so I printed again with a slight increase in size. Finally I'm happy with the result. He's slightly over 1/3 scale, but he just looks "right".

Doing this three times also allowed me to play around with the colors and paint combinations to make for a more realistic leather. The back two pilots (Darryl and Darryl) have much more subtle blending of colors while with Larry (in front) I purposely left the colors more un-blended and also patted them while still wet to further enhance the look. The final finish looks like weathered leather. I'm also pretty happy with these ultra-cheap Apple Barrel paints from WalMart. $0.50 for a container of flat paint means I'm not going to break the bank by buying a few different shades. Now I'll just need to find homes for Darryl and Darryl...!

IMG_4614.JPG

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hehe You ought to print one more but give it cheesey handlebars for the 'stache and mount it on a quad and call him Steele.

You really did do a nice job on Larry. That jacket and helmet look like worn suede. The collar also looks closer to the lambs wool as well.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Larry is chillin' in his future home. Really chillin', since it's about 35 degrees outside right now. But that 'stache will keep his face warm! I couldn't resist putting the pieces together to find out what is missing or what needs to be replaced. The struts that connect upper and lower ailerons are MIA and some of the rigging wires need attention, but otherwise it looks to be in decent-ish shape.

IMG_4623.JPG

A few of the rigging wires are still a little loose, but I'm not going to worry about them too much since most of them will be replaced with new wires, ends, and also turnbuckles for easy adjustment. It'll be fairly expensive and time consuming to do the work, but these wires are NOT optional and give the wing it's strength, so I may as well do 'em right. Note the soda can by the wheel for a size reference.

IMG_4625.JPG

The wires between the inner wing struts are way too loose and there is no way to adjust them, so those will be replaced and have turnbuckles added. It's hard to see, but all of the flying wires (wires from the bottom of the fuselage going UP to the top outer wings) are in pairs.

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

This is the area of the plane with the most visible damage, the horizontal stabilizer. Along with the hole in both the top & bottom covering, a piece of balsa was also broken. This will be an easy fix, and hopefully I don't find anything more major!

IMG_4629.JPG