LitterBug's dRonin / iNav / Aura5 / ArduPilot / *Flight FC enabled Wingy Thingys

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh you are lucky then. the stack I just did has pads smaller then the smallest soldering iron tip I own. Like the size of those pins with the plastic ball on the end small. Had me granny glasses on AND a goose neck magnifying glass to do the work. I thought my shakes were bad with just the glasses..

LitterBug

Techno Nut
OH NICE! You can now use F.PORT with ardupilot as of 4.0.6Beta1. Testing with a FrSky R9 and Matek F765-wing. No more hooking up sbus and s.port to different uart pads. This is going into something BIG.
R9fportF765wing.jpg

Cheers!
LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Had the Strix StratoSurfer (Matek F405-Wing with ArduPilot firmware) out to the field tonight and was playing with several different flight modes to get a feel for how they fly and playing with the diversity on my Video ground station by flying outside the beam of my directional antenna. Winds of about 15mph plust gusts. Flew full manual, Stabilized, Fly by wire A, and loiter flite modes. Think I may have a new favorite flite mode for this bird, especially in windy/gusty conditions. FBWA (Fly By Wire A). Stabilized on Roll/Pitch with limits on banking and pitch. landing and touch and gos were a breeze even with a slight cross wind and gusty head wind. It was incredibly easy to come in even at a high slope to get it right down the center of the field for touch and gos. I'm going to have to add FBWB which is similar to FBWA, but also does alt hold and throttle management when you are hands off the sticks. Neither of my DVRs had SD cards, so no video. My buddy/spotter did get some video on his phone and I'll post those up when he gets them to me.
Another thing I'm really liking is the Windspeed indicator on the HUD. ArduPlane calculates the wind speed and direction based on drift and speed differences from the GPS while making turns, without even using an airspeed sensor.
My 5.8ghz directional antenna is blowing me away with how good the video signal is (still 100% RSSI) out a bit (we'll call it 400') even when behind trees. Definitely drops off from the side and behind as expected, but the Dock-King/ True-D diversity does a great job switching to the omni antenna at the appropriate time.

Have not had any problems with ArduPlane, but it can be intimidating and difficult to configure until you have used Ardu* for a while.

Cheers!
LitterBug

windy.jpeg

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got the video of my landing with the windsock shown in the previous post. Pretty darn steady for the conditions. You can also get an idea of the conditions if you look at the trees in the background. I came in HOT at a pretty steep glide slope flying FPV. With the sound cranked up, you can hear the plane just brush the top of the grass at the end of the runway.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got a good 28 minute flight on the Stratosurfer the other day and was taking some mental notes of things to change. Flip-flopped a few times about putting the latest Beta on and enabling f.port, but that would require a bit more disassembly to get to the RX in order to flash the f.port firmware on that too. Downloaded the latest released ArduPlane firmware 4.0.5 for the F405-Wing. Backed up all my settings since they will get wiped with flashing the firmware, then flashed the firmware. After restoring my previous settings, I started with the changes. Removed a few fields from my main OSD screen, reversed the OSD page ordering, Moved OSD page selection to a different switch, and enabled Switch arming instead of yaw arming. I've been playing with a few different flight modes and made a few adjustments to those for more comparisons. Need to adjust the contrast on the camera to get rid of the blooming around the sun. It's been so cloudy and hazy that I never noticed it till flying on a really clear evening.

Cheers!
LitterBug
Screenshot from 2020-06-26 18-33-02.png

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So this is exciting.... The USB connector ripped off my other F405-Wing before it ever even got in anything. Barely even did ground testing with it. SO.... Trying to update the firmware via FTDI --> serial1. I'll be setting up a bluetooth--> serial dongle on it long term for configuration. I don't have the eyesight or skil to try to solder a replacement USB connector to what is left of the traces on the PCB.
brokedUSB.png

Fun Times!

Code:
~/Downloads/arduplane/stm32flash$ ./stm32flash /dev/ttyUSB0 -w ../F405Wing-4-0-6BetaArduplane_with_bl.hex -v
stm32flash 0.5

http://stm32flash.sourceforge.net/

Using Parser : Intel HEX
Interface serial_posix: 57600 8E1
Version      : 0x31
Option 1     : 0x00
Option 2     : 0x00
Device ID    : 0x0413 (STM32F40xxx/41xxx)
- RAM        : 128KiB  (12288b reserved by bootloader)
- Flash      : 1024KiB (size first sector: 1x16384)
- Option RAM : 16b
- System RAM : 30KiB
Write to memory
Erasing memory
Wrote and verified address 0x080fde1c (100.00%) Done.

SUCCESS!!! Was on 4.0.1Beta before and mission planner now sees it as 4.0.6.Beta2.
Screenshot from 2020-06-27 17-52-18.png

Going to go F.PORT with a R9MM RX on this. Will probably go in a RMRC Mini Skyhunter.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Matek is at my pockets, yet again. They just released an H7 based wing FC the H743-Wing. This puppy will be going into my RMRC Anaconda heavy lift wing. Hope to have that in the air by spring. It has been in the basement far too long.

I also picked up a couple airbot f4 nano v6.1 to throw at some of my small wings that are currently running inav. Will up their game to ArduPilot. Appears they may not be a drop in replacement for the v6 as advertised, so I may have to do some thread work on the ArduPilot forums to make them work.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
newStuff.jpg

My first H7 based FC is the Matek H743-Wing. Really like the remote USB dongle as this allows me to bury the FC near the CG and under any payloads yet still be able to get to the beeper (switchable), boot button, and USB-C connector. 13 PWM outputs should be just about enough for a RMRC Anaconda. Throttle, Split Ailerons, Flaps, Slats, V-tail, Steerable nose gear, Pan/tilt, Camera control, gimbal, and various other payloads.

Also pictured is a comparison of the newer Airbot F4Nano V6.1 (left) next to an Airbot F4nano V6 (right). Again, USB-C is starting to show up on newer FCs. Isolation bushings are standard, and through holes rather than surface mount pads. It is supposed to be a drop in replacement software wise, but the Ardupilot forum has a thread about the differences from ardu perspective. Plan is to put these in 3 channel race-ish wings. (throttle, elevon, elevon) with gps and f.port with full telemetry.

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: Came flashed with BetaFlight... Really? :rolleyes:

Code:
Entering CLI Mode, type 'exit' to return, or 'help'

#
# Building AutoComplete Cache ... Done!
#
# STATUS
MCU H743 (Rev.V) Clock=480MHz, Vref=3.31V, Core temp=51degC
Stack size: 2048, Stack address: 0x2001fff8
Config size: 3832, Max available config: 131072
Gyros detected: gyro 1, gyro 2
GYRO=MPU6000, ACC=MPU6000, BARO=DPS310
OSD: MAX7456
System Uptime: 460 seconds, Current Time: 2020-09-04T00:37:01.072+00:00
CPU:0%, cycle time: 125, GYRO rate: 8000, RX rate: 33, System rate: 9
Voltage: 0 * 0.01V (0S battery - NOT PRESENT)
I2C Errors: 4
SD card: Startup failed
Arming disable flags: RXLOSS CLI MSP MOTOR_PROTO

# version
# Betaflight / MATEKH743 (M743) 4.2.0 Jul 16 2020 / 15:36:37 () MSP API: 1.43

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Finally getting around to checking my Strix Nano Goblins for flying this year.
A) is shown above rebuilt with the BrainFPV Radix Li setup. Flashed latest firmware tonight and am starting config over from scratch
B) is build from the kit form and has a FT Aura Lite and simple AIO camera. This one is ready for maiden

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got around to looking at why the Stratosurfer would not arm last time it was out to the field. (last year some time). Appears I had not calibrated the gyro/accel after upgrading the Arduplane firmware. Need to get a new rudder servo for it since I dropped it on it's tail and stripped the gears. There is a big notch in it now. D'OH. I may have a similar servo that I can swap gears with that was damaged by glue getting in the wrong place. Have other 9g servos that may fit the bill too. It was glued at the factory with lots of stickum, so I have to be very careful not to damage the vertical stab when removing the servo.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have been flying iNav 2.6.x on my Strix Nano Goblin (#2) for about a year now with no issues. Even had it out at edgewater in both FPV and LOS flights over the weekend. iNav 3.0.x was released a while ago, but firmware updates for the BrainFPV flight controllers that I used for the NG lag behind because of the bitmapped OSD. Just got word today that the BETA version for the BrainFPV Radix Li board are now available and will be updating to 3.x tonight with hopes that the weather clears up later this week to fly. One of the key features I am excited to test is that the autotune will automatically adjust the roll/pitch to match what the plane is capable of rather than having to adjust them manually. In the past I've just left the rates at default for the stabilized flight modes, and the default is far below what the Nano Goblin is capable of. So have only pushed the roll/pitch in manual modes in the past, which can be very bumpy in all but the calmest of air with such a light plane. (sub 250g) Really anxious to get it in the air and do some testing! Been a while since I have done beta testing for the Devs.

Cheers!
LitterBug

https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/releases/tag/3.0.1
https://www.brainfpv.com/firmware/

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Updated the iNav LUA script on my X9D+ to the most recent version. Had been quite a while and wanted to make sure it was all working correctly. Adjusted a few settings for battery reporting so that the audible alerts via the LUA script work correctly. It had been B****ing about battery 0% forever because I missed that step when originally setting it up. I usually just watch it on the OSD, but with the script now working, it's one less thing to distract me from flying. Really not an issue on the Nano Goblins because with the low draw and Li-Ion batteries, I am never getting anywhere near low voltage cutoff/ brownout. Also playing with storing a mission in the FC to try an autonomous flight with iNav. Never tried it before with anything other than ArduPilot.

Cheers!
LitterBug

https://github.com/teckel12/LuaTelemetry

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Slight hiccup in my iNav testing.... Killed my OG Taranis X9D+ when trying to replace a switch. Forgot to unhook the battery which in turn fried the main board (3.3vbus) when it got shorted out. So.... parting out all the good stuf from it (hall effect gimbals, carbon look case, etc....) and picked up a RadioMaster TX16S Color (carbon) with hall gimbals. Have been busy flashing the latest OpenTX 2.3.14 including bootloader, updating SD card contents, Flashing latest firmware on the multiprotocol module, ETC... and will begin the fun process of re-importing all my models, and updating them to use new features that weren't on the x9d, etc.... Will also be migrating models from my Spectrum DX8, selling the DX8, and only carrying one radio around from now on. In the end, net 0 cost once all the parts and DX8 are sold off. Really wanted to be in the air tonight, but will probably only get a few packs in on some old spectrum stuff with the DX8.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

Flite Risk

I just picked up the radix li, wing pdb & gps! gunna put it in a nano sky hunter w/ tbs everything.

gotta finish a few other projects first.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I just picked up the radix li, wing pdb & gps! gunna put it in a nano sky hunter w/ tbs everything.

gotta finish a few other projects first.
NICE!

I've had 3 Nano Skyhunters over the years. They have been well abused and have pretty much reached End Of Life. I still have one capable of flying. Last year I was flying one LOS and the horizontal stabilizer/elevator came off in a steep dive. We'll just say it produced a lot of bits of foam. LOL. This one is actually made up from parts of the first two I bought and crashed over, and over. Slightly plausible that it can be glued together one more time.....
IMG_20220309_202703953.jpg

The one that is left is running INAV on an OLD F405 Omnibus FC with a standalone FPV board. Needs a wee bit of glue on the nose to keep the hatch/FPV gear on it before outdoor season gets here. Currently scavenged the 5.8 FPV antenna for another bird. It has FrSky R9 on it and has gone out to X*800' (Distance multiplier not given. LOL.)
IMG_20220309_202727742.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This video was shot 3 years ago @ Flite Fest from one of them with an AIO FPV Camera.

And another shot by my buddy in the middle of the field. He said, I'm standing in the middle of the field. Buzz me so i can get a shot.

This is the FPV feed from the one where I buzzed my buddy in the video above. He walked out on the field about 2/3 the way through. Was doing about 62mph (100kph) when buzzing him. This is my usual flying spot. Sometimes I do proximity flying through and around the trees. This is the one that is still flying but needs some nose glue.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Updating INAV Firmware on Strix Nano Goblin #1 from 3.0.2 to 4.0.0. It has a BrainFPV Radix LI Wing FC in it, and the firmware is custom compiled by BrainFPV to support the proprietary bitmapped OSD. They Tend to be a few ".x.x" revisions behind INAV released, and this is considered "beta" firmware. This is fine for me, I've been beta testing firmware and products for most of my life. I have an open github case with them on an OSD menu issue where the menus do not adapt for NTSC having fewer vertical lines of text than PAL. Makes it difficult to adjust some BrainFPV OSD features that can most easily be set via the OSD menu, but end up being off the bottom of the screen when using NTSC. (my default video protocol). I have since figured out the CLI parameters to adjust those features, but hey, Maybe I am missing something else that I can't see down there.

I've also picked up 2S and 3S 18650 packs that should be good to 25A. When I rebuilt this bird after the nose got knocked off, I pumped up the ESC, from the stock OG 12A to a 20A ESC. Still has the OG Cobra Motors 1407 3500kv. The newer NGs have an EMAX 1606 4000kv motor. (which I have in NG#2) With the prop I'm running (APC 2x4.1x4.1), My current "stock" packs sag when pulling more than 10A, (their rating). I can get 12A out of them with serious sag, but with battery telemetry, my OSD, and Radio are constantly B!+@#!ng when I punch out, go vertical, and/or do high speed passes. Curious to see how many amps this setup can actually pull, and how much more performance I can expect without the sag and ability to run higher amps. Higher volts and amps = more watts = more powah! Sure, the mah rating is lower with higher amp ratings, but I can still throw the other packs in for endurance flying where I'm not going > 75% throttle. Flying LOS I tend to push it harder than FPV too. Planning on doing some comparison videos between the two sets of packs, max speed, max amps, and difference in how I fly FPV vs LOS. There are some maneuvers I can do LOS that are difficult FPV. It would be nice to have an option in the FPV OSD that not only shows when the plane is level, but when it is vertical. There is nothing like that now, but I'm planning on opening an INAV github issue for that. :-D

Hoping for some clean air soon so I can get an AutoTune in. Hope to compare Specs and tunes with @CarolineTyler who has been flying a newer Nano Goblin. Think she may be running INAV too.

Currently have an FT Aura 5 in NG #2, but am planning to swap that for something small that runs ArduPilot with OSD and GPS. Currently running an AIO camera/VTX and want OSD. Want to do a comparison video of autolaunch INAV vs FT Aura and eventually add ArduPilot.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited: