Help! Make money with the hobby

TahliaMalone

I am a teenager, that is lacking money to get kickstarted with lots of electronics, like everyone who has been in the hobby has.

Airplanes are my thing, can anyone reccommend me a way to earn money thoough airplanes i a not really airplane loving comunitty, so I can get myself the electronics needed?
I would suggest talking over that simple set of questions with your parents.

Note this is not official, and is only my understanding of the rules as of this post, talk to the FAA and/or a lawyer if you have any questions or conserns or are unsure if this is correct.

as a flow chart:

A: Does it have any motors or thrust generation ability?
- yes: go to D
- no: go to B

B: Does it have any control surfaces that can move during flight (IE anything with a servo connected, but could also be other stuff)?
- no: go to C

C: Your craft does not appear to be covered by the FAA UAV rules, you can probably do what you want.
- done

D: Your craft has to follow all FAA UAV rules for where you can legally fly. (IE LOS, flight restrictions on location and altitude)
- Go to E

E: Are you making any money or furthering a business (helping someone else make money)? (or anything else that doesn't quality for personal enjoyment only)
- yes: go to F and take $500 loan no credit check direct lender
- no: go to G

F: This requires a part 107 and an individual registration per drone.
- done

G: does it weight more then 250g? (not sure if it is more then or more then or equal to..., so 250g exactly might be a go to H)
- yes: go to H
- no: go I

H: Your require a hobbyist FAA registration and your registration number is required to be labeled on the craft
- done

I: Your craft does not require to be registered with the FAA
- done
Yeah, I agree with you. It is better to ask parents because they are responsible for your life.

Last edited:

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
but that is only if the stuff is over 250 grams, @JasonK , but I get that it is no longer a hobby, all I want is to get money to continue with the hobby. thanks @Phin G , I might look into teaching some elementary school kids to build something like the ft EZ glider, and what I plan on doing now is first starting to do it for free, and then myabe charging a small fee. also I have a like 2 month old plane that I do not want, phin G how can I sell it not on ebay?
Not so. ALL small UAS including under 250 grams if used for anything except recreational operations, require the remote pilot in command to hold a part 107 certificate. I run the FPV Freedom Coalition where we have been working with the FAA to ease recreational right to fly for five years. I am also the CEO of Flite Test.

If you teach kids anything about aviation, that‘s great. Please note if you fly any sUAS outside as part of the training, you need a part 107. And, the school needs to charter the school under a Community Based Organization so the students may fly under 44809, the recreational exception to
part 107.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
I would suggest talking over that simple set of questions with your parents.

Note this is not official, and is only my understanding of the rules as of this post, talk to the FAA and/or a lawyer if you have any questions or conserns or are unsure if this is correct.

as a flow chart:

A: Does it have any motors or thrust generation ability?
- no: go to B

B: Does it have any control surfaces that can move during flight (IE anything with a servo connected, but could also be other stuff)?
- no: go to C

C: Your craft does not appear to be covered by the FAA UAV rules, you can probably do what you want.
- done

D: Your craft has to follow all FAA UAV rules for where you can legally fly. (IE LOS, flight restrictions on location and altitude)
- Go to E

E: Are you making any money or furthering a business (helping someone else make money)? (or anything else that doesn't quality for personal enjoyment only)
- yes: go to F
- no: go to G

F: This requires a part 107 and an individual registration per drone.
- done

G: does it weight more then 250g? (not sure if it is more then or more then or equal to..., so 250g exactly might be a go to H)
- yes: go to H
- no: go I

H: Your require a hobbyist FAA registration and your registration number is required to be labeled on the craft
- done

I: Your craft does not require to be registered with the FAA
- done
I suggest you also take a look at http://www.FPVFC.org we have listed on the home page what you need to fly. We also have an article on sub 250 gram sUAS. Please note, all model aircraft which are remotely controlled are covered by small Unmanned Aerial Systems. In other words, “drones” are considered the same as RC fixed wing aircraft in the eyes of the FAA.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I suggest you also take a look at http://www.FPVFC.org we have listed on the home page what you need to fly. We also have an article on sub 250 gram sUAS. Please note, all model aircraft which are remotely controlled are covered by small Unmanned Aerial Systems. In other words, “drones” are considered the same as RC fixed wing aircraft in the eyes of the FAA.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a more accurate answer then my 3+ year old one at this point. (if nothing more then RID wasn't a thing when that was written, so it doesn't cover when that would be needed)