Micro falcon 120 with GPS

MustangO4

I'm a long time lurker on the forum and a huge FT fan. I have several of their kits and have recently begun playing with fixed wing. I still have a thing for weird multiroter applications though. I am fascinated with autonomous and GPS functions. I really like making crazy aircraft that will behave, but still be bonkers when you want them to.

So, I haven't seen many folks doing micros with GPS functions. I've played a lot with APM/pixhawk as well as CF/BF so this is my first iNav build. It went surprisingly easy. I think I may dump my APM/PX controllers and play with iNav for a while.

The only bummer on this one is I went with an already built eachine and flashed it as opposed to getting a better FC to begin with. No barometer on this F3. I suppose I could get an external, but for now it is pretty cool for $125. You just have to watch the altitude.

https://youtu.be/-QH_8x0TBV0

pekcitron

ElevenQuad
Very interesting. It seems that iNav support waypoints navigation, do you know more about this? Like, which software you will use to do this?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You may be able to add a barometer if you can get to the I2C bus. I've done it with a handful of controllers and this MS5611 Barometer from ReadyToFlyQuads. Some people have had bad luck with that vendor, but I've never had any issues.

Here's some pics of it in a proof of concept I did with the RCExplorer F3FC Racing FC:
F3FCgpsPOC.jpg
F3FCgpsPOC2.jpg
BetaFlightGPS.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've also played with iNav with one of my 118mm FlexRC Owl frames with a RMRC Dodo FC that has a built in baro.
ReadyForNavTests.jpg

Haven't done much with iNav lately, but am working on building a 650mm , long duration, autonomous capable platform and may do some more playing with iNav on that or some other larger frame that can stay in the air longer. Max I could really get out of the owl was 7-8ish minutes of very tame flying.

Been trying to decide what FC direction to go with the large build. I have 3 APM FCs that I've used in the past and 2 are still flying. I'm thinking Pixhawk would be the best bang for the buck with the feature set and capabilities that it has. Be interested to know what your thoughts are on FCs

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

MustangO4

Thanks for all the replies. I am thinking of an external barometer and that one looks interesting. However I am using the I2C port for the Compass. I don't know if I can get those to work through the same port or maybe another one. Have to check it out. That little owl is awesome. Personally I think APM and picxhawk have some great features through mission planner, they are also compatible with UGCS which is very cool. However my initial impression is that iNav is very stable and intuitive. Particularly if you were familiar with clean flight. I will have to play with it some more. Right now if I was going to be building a large platform I would lean towards PX or maybe a DJI naza. There is so much flexibility in the DJI app. It also is very stable and improving. The micros sure are awesome though. I have not set it up with Bluetooth yet so I am not running a GCS. Eventually I will in there appear to be several third-party apps for your mobile phone that can serve as your GC yes. I would be interested if anyone had a recommendation for an iOS GCS that would work through Bluetooth.

MustangO4

One thing to keep in mind that I'm sure you already know, I have found that many of the FCs I have gotten through various vendors are not actually the real thing but a clone. I would consider paying the extra cash to make sure you get the flight controller directly from the manufacture or a reputable vendor. I got 3 pixhawks at various times through Amazon and they have been very different and I don't think they are genuine. Some are very reliable and some have been a nightmare

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah, I agree about avoiding clones at any cost. I try to get the real deal and order from the OE if at all possible. That's kind of hard to do with PIX as 3DR is no longer a good source. Contemplating getting one from getfpv.com or ReadyMadeRC.com who always try to get the best quality and OE if possible.

I2C is a bus that allows multiple connections, not like a UART that can only do a single device. If you look at my picture above, I had both the external compass and Baro hooked externally to the I2C bus with no issues. Will depend on what the board and accesories have for terminators on the I2C bus. It's worth a shot to give it a try.

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: I'm not a fan of DJI and their policies. They have great hardware and features, but the cost and policies keep me from considering them for a "hobby".

Last edited:

MustangO4

Thanks. I thought so. So if I have the SC and SD plugged into the i2c should I be able to plug the barometer into it too? Just splice them?

Last edited: