Elite member
Also for the build here is the new poster board plans
The rear turtle deck fits better now

Attachments

• bf 109 posterv3.pdf
    18.7 KB · Views: 0

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Thanks, the the trial and error approach you describe is what I have been doing. I was hoping maybe there was a piece of software that some of you more prolific designers were using for flattening a 3D model for a template. There's probably a way to do it in my CAD suite, but I haven't found it yet.

GrizWiz

Elite member
What cad do you use I have heard that you can use double cad and use the sheet metal tool to get the curves and fold to be 3d
You can also use slicer in fusion 360

GrizWiz

Elite member
Power pack a motor and ESC
Nine gram soft gear servos or the servos that come with the power pack a
Tattu 850 mAh 3 cell battery
flysky receiver and transmitter

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
What cad do you use I have heard that you can use double cad and use the sheet metal tool to get the curves and fold to be 3d
You can also use slicer in fusion 360

I'm using solidworks, at least until the educational license expires. After that who knows what I'll use because I certainly can't afford a license for solidworks. Making plans for curved parts is something I really want to be able to do in CAD without a bunch of trial and error, it's the only thing holding my designs back. Papercrafters do incredible things, I really need to pick a papercrafter's brain and see what kind of software they use these days.

GrizWiz

Elite member
Yes exactly there are some paper craft software called pepakura where you can import a STL or 3D model and it will unfold it

Flyingshark

Master member
I'm using solidworks, at least until the educational license expires. After that who knows what I'll use because I certainly can't afford a license for solidworks. Making plans for curved parts is something I really want to be able to do in CAD without a bunch of trial and error, it's the only thing holding my designs back. Papercrafters do incredible things, I really need to pick a papercrafter's brain and see what kind of software they use these days.

You can get Fusion360 free with a startup license (at least you could when I signed up a few years ago), as long as you aren't making more than x amount of money on whatever you're doing.

If you're an EAA member, they have a free Solidworks student license that comes with membership.
https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-pu...07-25-2016-new-member-benefit-from-solidworks
https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center

Fusion 360 is what I know about, so here's a list of features that might be useful:
Sheet metal tool - if you make your skins sheet metal, you can supposedly unfold them and then export the shapes. (I've never done this; maybe someone who has can give more detail)
Sketches - You can export a sketch (so, a 2d drawing on one of the work planes) in Fusion to a .dxf file, which you could import into Illustrator or Inkscape to make plans.
fusion360_save_dxf.png

Hope this is helpful!

GrizWiz

Elite member
You can get Fusion360 free with a startup license (at least you could when I signed up a few years ago), as long as you aren't making more than x amount of money on whatever you're doing.

If you're an EAA member, they have a free Solidworks student license that comes with membership.
https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-pu...07-25-2016-new-member-benefit-from-solidworks
https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center

Fusion 360 is what I know about, so here's a list of features that might be useful:
Sheet metal tool - if you make your skins sheet metal, you can supposedly unfold them and then export the shapes. (I've never done this; maybe someone who has can give more detail)
Sketches - You can export a sketch (so, a 2d drawing on one of the work planes) in Fusion to a .dxf file, which you could import into Illustrator or Inkscape to make plans.
View attachment 175325

Hope this is helpful!
Thanks, but unfortunately my computer has problems running fusion 360
I might get a new one soon though!

Flyingshark

Master member
Thanks, but unfortunately my computer has problems running fusion 360
I might get a new one soon though!
Oh well. I hope what I wrote was still useful.
Well it looks like I will be designing a Junkers JU 87 yay!!!
Please add an option for the underwing 37mm antitank cannons from the Ju-87G!!! They make it look so cool! (You could probably just make them as optional parts that glue on to the wing. Maybe a BBQ skewer or a wooden dowel for the barrel?)

GrizWiz

Elite member
Oh well. I hope what I wrote was still useful.

Please add an option for the underwing 37mm antitank cannons from the Ju-87G!!! They make it look so cool! (You could probably just make them as optional parts that glue on to the wing. Maybe a BBQ skewer or a wooden dowel for the barrel?)
Will do!

Flyingshark

Master member
I think I will make this master series style
For a 1/10 scale look
If you want it small I can make it master series but use poster board instead like @Fallegon but mighty mini size
1/10 scale ... so that's about a 1380mm/54in wingspan. So a couple inches larger than the Master Series Spitfire. Anyone who might want to build it smaller (like me) can probably just scale down the plans and cut off correspondingly more of the formers to allow for the thickness of the foam board. I think it would be a lot stronger if you used foam board for the skin as opposed to poster board.

GrizWiz

Elite member
1/10 scale ... so that's about a 1380mm/54in wingspan. So a couple inches larger than the Master Series Spitfire. Anyone who might want to build it smaller (like me) can probably just scale down the plans and cut off correspondingly more of the formers to allow for the thickness of the foam board. I think it would be a lot stronger if you used foam board for the skin as opposed to poster board.
I will make it mighty mini size and master series size too