Mini sportster build plans/video

MikeJM

I see a diehedral gauge, I thought it was a flat wing?

I guess it's for those that don't want ailerons.

Last edited:

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
The video for the Sportster mentioned they went away from polyhedral to dihedral, different performance and they added the ailerons - so they needed the wing "straight" where those would go.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Dihedral and ailerons are not mutually exclusive. Many low wing planes have a little dihedral it helps with stability.

I see a diehedral gauge, I thought it was a flat wing?

I guess it's for those that don't want ailerons.

w0ace

Sig Astro Hog is a great example of diehedral and ailerons working perfectly together! I use about 1/2 the recommended amount of diehedral and she flies great!!

Tim Brown

Couple in the works

FT-Sportster.jpg

Ok I think that I am going slightly mad ...... I don't see the wing rear spacer on the plans, but they are in the build video. Can someone point out the error of my ways or give me the dimensions so that I can cut them out. FT SPORTSTER v1.0 full size plans.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
starting mine in december by the looks of it i im allowed pick up the materials i need later this month and by the time i get it sorted the month is over im starting on a versa without electronics for fun during my thanks giving break

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
What do you mean by wing spacer? Do you mean the second spar? You need to double it yourself. Only one is printed on the planes.

Ok I think that I am going slightly mad ...... I don't see the wing rear spacer on the plans, but they are in the build video. Can someone point out the error of my ways or give me the dimensions so that I can cut them out. FT SPORTSTER v1.0 full size plans.

I am building the full sized version right now, I have made the two spars. It is the bit in the build video at about 10.26. There are two steps that get glued onto the trailing edges prior to folding the wing over. I don't have them on the plans - or not that I can see anyway - I need to know what size they are .....

So has anyone flown the mini sportster yet? Based on what Josh was saying it's an extremely stable flier. I am really hoping it flies for me after some of the struggles I had with the mini scout.

kacknor

Build another!
So has anyone flown the mini sportster yet? Based on what Josh was saying it's an extremely stable flier. I am really hoping it flies for me after some of the struggles I had with the mini scout.

I'm new here and not real experienced at RC, but I've been a mechanic all my life and know aircraft in general. I haven't built the Sportster yet. A Mini is next weeks project. Saw Josh Bixler fly both versions at the Horizon Indoor event a few weeks ago. He made them look real good.

The Mini Scout is one of my favorite planes. Tracks straight and turns good for a three channel. I never run less that 100% on the rudder though. Maybe the dihedral is off on yours or the wing has a warp? Sorry in any case.

JDill

Mini Sportster build

Here's my Mini Sportster. I call it a biplane because it's bi-colored: blue on one side and identical green markings on the other. Covered with colored packing tape. Should be a good flyer.

Planning to fly indoors this winter then outside in a small area near the apartment complex office where I have flown my FT Mini Trainer.

Attachments

• MiniSportster.jpg
    MiniSportster.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 6