Multi-rotor noob looking for direction

tb_and_j

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the hobby and the forums. After watching both the Flite Test videos and my buddy's FPV videos I decided to take the plunge into the hobby. I bought the Syma X-1 just to have something to get the general feel for flying a multi-rotor down, and to have something inexpensive to be able to fly into trees and the side of my house and such ;).

I was just wondering what the next step would be? I am very interested in putting together my own quad, maybe the Flite Test's Anycopter kit (with recommended electronics) but I was just wondering if this was a good next step? I have also considered picking up a simulator like RealFlite or Phoenix so that I would be able to get a Transmitter (and reciever?) with it. That way I could train indoors as well as get my first "real" transmitter.

But I don't really know what the next logical step would be though. I appreciate any feedback given and look forward to posting more stuff in the future!

-TJ

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
A simulator is always a good idea. Helps build the orientation and muscle memory you'll need for flying the real thing, or for trying new things, without breaking anything.The anycopter or the knuckle quad is a good next step or anything where you can get replacement frame parts locally and for cheap. Also to consider is flying weight; the lighter you can build it, the fewer things that will break in a crash and the more time you can spend flying over repairing.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I too started with the Zyma. Welcome to FT!

My first build was the Anycopter. Now that FT has the Knuckle H Quad (I have one of these too), I recommend it as a first build. If you are in the US, look at the Altitude Hobbies electronics kits.

I have never used a sim but then, I don't mind rebuilding my copter when I crater it. Sim or no sim, you will crash. It will happen and you will have to rebuild, but that is part of the fun and my copters get better after each smashing.

Like Xuzme stated, keep your first copter light. Stick with 1800 or 2200 mah 3cell 30C batteries and keep the heavy, expensive stuff (camera) off the copter until you learn to fly. Buy replacement booms from the hardware store but I would buy a spare Delrin kit from FT and spare nylon rotors.

Go with at least a 5 channel transmitter. Don't get a sim for a 4 channel transmitter.

tb_and_j

Thanks for the replies!

xuzme, that's what I was thinking as far as the simulator. Would help me work on orientation and muscle memory when flying the real thing. I also like the idea that both you guys said about building something that is easily repairable. The way I crash my Syma sometimes I believe that I would easily break a boom arm or two :D. Is there a difference in stability or ease of flight between the Anycopter or the H-Quad? or is it really just personal preference? (sorry if this is a silly question, still new to the hobby).

I think I'll end up getting a simulator first. I can probably get it a little cheaper compared to buying all the wood and electronics and transmitter and stuff. But I'm still sort of on the fence about it because I'm eager to actually build something. Anyway thanks again for the advice! Sometimes it's hard to see what to do next because this hobby is pretty involved.

-TJ

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I would say the Knuckle is probably your best bet. It can be built really lightweight and can survive crashes other copters won't. That's not to say it's indestructible, but it's as close as you can get with just some ply and 1/2 square stock...

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Sim or no sim, you will crash.

When you crash, you will break stuff. I have crushed my Anycopter into bits multiple times and re-built it multiple times. Crashes are not expensive (except on Delrin) so much as they take time. I now build 8 booms when I build an Anycopter so I have spares.

Breaking a boom or trashing a rotor or two or three is nothing once you get into this hobby. We all do it. If you are not crashing and breaking stuff when you start, you aren't pushing yourself and you aren't learning. This all contributes to being a better pilot and builder so don't let it dissuade you when you total your copter. Learn from it, rebuild better and learn from that and try it again.

IMO (and I own both and fly both), the Anycopter is more versatile than the Knuckle Quad.

The Knuckle quad is simpler to build and harder to break.

The Anycopter is easier to repair.

I found the Syma to be less expensive and more rewarding than a sim and now that I have an Anycopter, a Knuckle I quad (I tweaked it during one of my rebuilds to be "better" than the FT design) and a Bat Bone, I gave the Syma away to the next potential addict.

Once you learn to fly a copter, the Syma or a sim will likley be of limited use. You will have graduated and what was once daunting will now become old hat.