bracesport

Legendary member
@Addicted - on the last flight it blew back into the gorse bushes and I thought it was a goner- I used the RSSI trick to locate the direction - after half an hour I felt I knew the direction and climbed a tree catching sight of the wing tip - through the gorse I went and recovered the wing - @56 I am getting too old for that! :)

bracesport

Legendary member
FRIDAY 15 JAN 2021

It has been a busy Christmas and New Year, but the BAMF has been sitting trimmed and ready and today I got a chance to fly! The launches were OK, but I am still stalling off the top of the launch a bit too much - I really like the DLG flying and when I manage to tone down the rate of turning I will be away!

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.56.15 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
SUNDAY 14 MAR 2021

The weather was better 'yesterday' - but today was the day for the maiden of my BAMF DLG with its scratch built carbon fuse - my mate Pete and I met at the park and I was thankful to have Pete's wisdom and skill to help with the trimming - Pete had his BAMF-2 and wow what a machine it is - it really does not matter what the conditions are Pete can launch and fly around for 10 minutes without raising a sweat - me on the other hand, I am still counting my flights in the seconds!

Nevertheless, I learned a heap building the fuse, and learned some more today about the flying - apart from the importance of trimming I can see I am flying with too much stick input and the more I just let it ride the better it flew - today was about trimming not power launching and anything fancy, and although it did not look it, the wind was a bit stiffer than ideal.

although at the end I had some issues (a story for another day) overall I was pretty happy to see my fuse could cut the mustard!

351793_d7bb0424f9cef84db5bb9f87c4cb3f73.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
SUNDAY 14 MAR 2021

The weather was better 'yesterday' - but today was the day for the maiden of my BAMF DLG with its scratch built carbon fuse - my mate Pete and I met at the park and I was thankful to have Pete's wisdom and skill to help with the trimming - Pete had his BAMF-2 and wow what a machine it is - it really does not matter what the conditions are Pete can launch and fly around for 10 minutes without raising a sweat - me on the other hand, I am still counting my flights in the seconds!

Nevertheless, I learned a heap building the fuse, and learned some more today about the flying - apart from the importance of trimming I can see I am flying with too much stick input and the more I just let it ride the better it flew - today was about trimming not power launching and anything fancy, and although it did not look it, the wind was a bit stiffer than ideal.

although at the end I had some issues (a story for another day) overall I was pretty happy to see my fuse could cut the mustard!

View attachment 195301
Congrats on the successful maiden! 10 minutes on one throw, that's incredible! I'd love to see some video of that. :D

Wildthing

Legendary member
SUNDAY 14 MAR 2021

View attachment 195301
Awesome, well done.

bracesport

Legendary member
SUNDAY 23 MAY 2021

Yesterday was better weather, but I was busy on other things so today had to do - the wind was a light south easterly but was forecast to increase during the day.

I am still a novice when it comes to these ships and I have a habit of bringing them home in pieces - today I wanted to be a bit more cautious! I am in the process of building some DLG parts and that is another story in itself, but in the meantime I need something to keep me in business - I purchased a 2nd hand BAMF fuse which has been thoroughly worked over and has also been extended 3cm in the boom - I have been tickling away for a bit putting it together while in tandem refining my Open TX DLG program to fly it - a week or so ago I also added a momentary switch behind the left grip for the launch mode.

Well, it flies, but it is twitchy as hell - I think it is largely the lengthened boom - my CG is the same as the previous fuse setup, but I am not sure if the incidence is the same - I seem to need a bit more up elevator to fly hands free.

After a couple of flights I found the vertical stabiliser was loose so I went home and added some epoxy - back to the field the wind had notched up a bit more (I probably should have gone home), but I was determined to persevere! I tickled with the ailerons and elevator and got a few good throws in, but it was too windy to really assess the trim.

What I did enjoy was using the launch mode on the momentary button! Awesome!

Glad to report we came home in one piece!

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 5.29.28 PM.png

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Looks good to me for a rookie :D .
With more up elevator that usually means you are a tad nose heavy now, I would take a little ballast out of the nose and maybe add a little more expo .

bracesport

Legendary member
WEDNESDAY 26 MAY 2021

A beautiful autumn day deserves a lunchtime flight - it was dead calm and the flying was great, I felt like it was my best effort to date - I should have been concentrating on trimming as it is not spot on yet, but I was having fun and it was launching very well - until the end!

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 8.57.31 AM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
THURSDAY 08 JUL 2021

A beautiful day to re-maiden the BAMF - now known as BAMFzilla (fresh with a new nose) - my game plan was to focus on trimming and fly with as little stick as possible - all in all it was a success with the longest flight times to date - I also bought here home in one piece, so that is progress in itself - still need a bit moire trimming, but I think we are getting there!

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 7.19.56 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
WEDNESDAY 28 JULY

Today I went out to do a review of the trim - the plan was to fly hands free as much as possible - fly a triangle and see what happens - it was harder than I thought it would be - there was a bit more breeze building, but please feel free to comment on the progress - we gotta start somewhere!

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 12.10.58 PM.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
WEDNESDAY 11 AUGUST

Another nice calm day to do some more trim testing - overall it seems to be flying better, but it is hard to say when you are a novice!

My plan was to fly hands free as much as possible and trim the elevator for a level boom as it slowly loses height - I also tried really hard not to use the elevator focusing only on the ailerons or the rudder.

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 6.56.20 PM.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
WEDNESDAY 28 SEPTEMBER 2021

I have been hanging out to see if my plump polyhedral DLG will fly - well it does!

First I have to say this is without the flaps connected - for some reason the right flap was jittery, so I unplugged them - today was the windiest I have ever attempted to fly in but carrying a bit of extra weight I thought it would not hurt to try!

Dammit, my hat cam was flat so I only got this short video - well it is at least proof it flew off a very soft throw! I then gave it three very gentle discus launches and man it has some potential - even with the extra belly weight.

I think it might be a tad CG aft compared to the BAMF, so I might tickle that up a bit - speaking of the BAMF I also gave that a hurl and it flew pretty well into the stiff breeze but I could not make too much forward penetration, so I guess it was a tad on the light side for todays conditions.

Time to review the jittering servo!

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 12.55.00 PM.png

Last edited: