My Tiny Trainer Build

mayan

Legendary member
Thank you. We are here to learn, and yes I definitely did. It's a lot to take in, but as you know, it can be done. Also, I suppose a belated Birthday gift is better than none. Happy belated Birthday, my friend! My flights were absolutely glorious to me. You've moved from the inspired to the inspirers. You've got some very ambitious builds, in my personal opinion that are waiting for flight. Oh? Was that a gauntlet, tossed out on the floor? No. You'd kick my butt. I still can't wait to see them fly!
I wouldn't kick your ass I'd really just have a good time flying with someone in the sky next to me. About the models waiting for maiden unfortuntaly that will have to wait because the RX that I am using with the transmitter that allows easy elevon mixing is giving me problems. I just rather not be stupid and fly them when 90% chances are that I will crash because the RX makes the servos jitter. On a 4 channel plane I can control it on a plane with elevon mixing its hard to manage. Again thanks a million for your birthday gift. Looking forward for more videos :).

FDS

Elite member
I have resisted the urge to fly with my son with both planes in the circuit at once, he helpfully pointed out I would likely crash my plane and his all in one go.
I would donate to a crowd fund to get you guys together to fly, it’s what FT is all about.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Yea, we heard the joy in your voice, and I gotta say it kinda chokes me up.. kinda like watching your kid ride away after you take the training wheels off!

Again, so glad you shared that moment with us!
I wrote a word wall. I deleted it. I choose instead to say Thank You. The good thing is, when I was talking to my plane, she actually seemed to listen! (Works with my car, my motorcycle, the lawn mower and the water heater. Go figure.) The training wheels are still on. Tiny Trainer with the polyhedral wing and all that. Next is to get stupid with it and see how things go!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Next is to get stupid with it and see how things go!
Yes. I'm quoting myself again. Sorry. Ok. Not really. My plan is to get the TT into the air, get it under control, and crank up the throttle. In the video above, I launched and then set the throttle to about 70%.

My next flight is all throttle, all the way. Not really, of course. I'm still just a noob and I recognize the fact I'll have to control the throttle in order to pull out of the mistakes I make. Still, the idea is to be 100% throttle for as much of the time as I can make it work.

Why the heck would I do that, when I can pretty much just cruise around, and have a really good time? My Mini Scout build. Lee Goalot is getting pretty impatient. Time to take the next step.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I've no time. I'm getting ready for work. I'm off tomorrow. Might be able to fly. Forecast 16mph winds and can expect gusts. I don't know if I'm feeling that confident. What do ya'll think, and which wing?

FDS

Elite member
Been out again this week, weather has been cold but not windy. My son flew the TT at 100ft all on his own today, he did two full batteries of figure eights with me doing the take off and landing. I was really proud of him, he’s part way through a DR1 and has his big Scout to fly, next time we go up I will video the new stuff. That’s two fools, one old, one young who have earned their wings in that plane, it’s been worth every penny.
Also I will put up the onboard video footage as well. Need to edit it tonight.

mayan

Legendary member
I've no time. I'm getting ready for work. I'm off tomorrow. Might be able to fly. Forecast 16mph winds and can expect gusts. I don't know if I'm feeling that confident. What do ya'll think, and which wing?
I think you can manage ok if you get off the idea of full throttle. I’d recommend the sports wing cause I find it easier to control the plane right and left movements with that wing. Although it can make movements sharper which can then easily lead to loss of control and a crash.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The local news is now forecasting winds in the mid twenties. Guess I'll just have to play it by ear.

I've had my whole shift at work today to think about, and I think maybe I'll stay with the trainer wing for a couple more sessions. I am obviously very excited about how well my first session went, but it was just that. My first flying session, ever. All the cool looking stuff was just me trying to recover from a mistake. I'm not really sure what those mistakes were, though I suspect the wind may have been gusting up there more than it was on the ground. That would explain the way it just sort of fell out of the air near the end of the first battery.

Mayan, I was so excited about flying the Mini Scout, that I completely ignored/forgot the Sport Wing! :oops: Thank you. That is the logical next step in my skill progression. Lee Goalot and the Mini Scout have been waiting for a while. Weather permitting it won't be long until I'm there, but I don't think that time is now. Once again, I say thank you for your sage advice. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
No flight today. Wind was way too high. The gusts were shaking the house. South Carolina winter and all that. I knew the weather on the day of my first flights was a blessing and it was. Nothing to do but wait for another nice day corresponding with a day off from work. *sigh*

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So I had time to sim the TT Sport Wing. The first three flights lasted less than ten seconds each! :LOL: I spent a lot more time with it, but that is a seriously different flying experience. I'll be sticking to the Training Wing and simming the Sport Wing for a little while, I think!

bracesport

Legendary member
I don’t cut any V’s when I fold my wings (or make my ailerons)! I just remove 10mm of paper, run a blunt pencil down the middle of the bald spot, then I just bend it over.

Same for control surfaces as I just tape them with interwoven reinforced tape which allows me to have square cuts instead of bevels.

I’m just about to start a tiny trainer of my own, ands this time I plan to use my new method which utilises zip ties glued in to make the hinges. If the zip tie is too stiff, thin it at the bend point with a soldering iron!

mayan

Legendary member
Happy to hear that you are not pushing your limits and going when things don't seem right. Also happy to hear that you are going to keeping playing around the TT before moving on to another model. I too am actually thinking of going back to the TT for a while, feel like I need a lot more practicing.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Happy to hear that you are not pushing your limits and going when things don't seem right. Also happy to hear that you are going to keeping playing around the TT before moving on to another model. I too am actually thinking of going back to the TT for a while, feel like I need a lot more practicing.
I was so excited by my Maiden. It went so well that I felt like I'd sort of been there, done that. Ready to move on. It took a lot of thought for me to recognize that all I actually did not was not crash a lot. That's a big difference from being a competent RC Pilot.

I had a big problem keeping the plane close to me. When it was, I could do figure-eights. But then I flew out on slow curves, just trying to bring it back, and then things got crazy. It was awesome flying, but it was nearly uncontrolled flying. When the plane was off in the distance, and I was doing all those crazy loops, rolls and other acrobatics, all I was trying to do was keep it airborne and bring it back. My sim time allowed me to do that, but that's not where I want to be.

I want be able to make controlled flights. Make the plane go where I want it to, when I want it to and do what I want it to. I've realized I am not there, yet.

My brother? I am in full agreement with you. We simply need more practice. :)(y)

mayan

Legendary member
I was so excited by my Maiden. It went so well that I felt like I'd sort of been there, done that. Ready to move on. It took a lot of thought for me to recognize that all I actually did not was not crash a lot. That's a big difference from being a competent RC Pilot.

I had a big problem keeping the plane close to me. When it was, I could do figure-eights. But then I flew out on slow curves, just trying to bring it back, and then things got crazy. It was awesome flying, but it was nearly uncontrolled flying. When the plane was off in the distance, and I was doing all those crazy loops, rolls and other acrobatics, all I was trying to do was keep it airborne and bring it back. My sim time allowed me to do that, but that's not where I want to be.

I want be able to make controlled flights. Make the plane go where I want it to, when I want it to and do what I want it to. I've realized I am not there, yet.

My brother? I am in full agreement with you. We simply need more practice. :)(y)
I am with you. I built and flew quite a bit of models by now and really feel like I need to STOP and go back to training on the TT with the sports wing. I can stay in the sky do loops, rolls and wing overs; but I still feel like I am just trying to keep it in the air and it’s still not doing what I want it to do. I am more like going along with what it’s doing and acting accordingly.