Need help choosing a good plane!

Nelson

Hello,

I have acquired some money to purchase a new rc plane, this will be my second rc plane (I did learn off of my uncles champ before) the first was the Eflite UMX Mig 15 which is rather fun to fly and consequentially battered, but still in working order and good shape. Being completely new to this hobby I was wondering which plane would be the best for me. I currently own nothing to charge larger batteries with or own any larger batteries. I would be looking for a fun to fly 4 channel rc plane which can do aerobatics reasonably well. My max budget is around £120 ($200.21), please be mindful that rc planes are harder to source in the UK (it at least appears like that).

Thanks,

Edit: I already have a DX5e Spektrum controller.

Nelson

earthsciteach

Welcome to the forum, Nelson! Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of the Bixler/Sky Surfer airframe as either a first or second plane. I have several planes, but if I am in the mood to just toss something fun in the air, this is the plane I reach for more often than any other. You can buy one for well under your budget. If you pick up an orange rx from Hobby King (please save this guy if I'm wrong!), it will be compatible with your Spektrum and cost FAR less than a Spektrum receiver.

Bixler ARF (Would need to buy the rx, battery (I recommend the 2200 mah, 3s), and 20 amp esc) You can also add flap servos, but that is not at all necessary with this plane.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=29053

Orange RX's: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1119__1117__Radios_Receivers-OrangeRx_Receivers.html

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
To add to what earthsciteach said, this is a really good battery charger: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ncer_Charger_w_accessories_UK_Warehouse_.html

HOWEVER, that battery charger needs a power supply. Which will add to the cost.

I see that earthsciteach linked the Bixler in the UK Warehouse, so that Bixler plus the battery charger will only be $108.95, well under budget. I can't imagine that the shipping within the UK would be anything horrible. Which leaves plenty of room for a power supply for the charger and the required parts for the Bixler.

Required:
1 x 20A ESC
4~5 Channel Transmitter and Reciever
1800mAh~2200mAh 3s Lipoly Battery

The Bixler and charger are currently in stock. ;)

I should add that the charger needs a 12Volt DC power supply with more amps than the battery you're trying to charge (if the battery is under 12Volts). If you have a power inverter laying around that you don't need, check to see what it is. It may work for the charger.

Nelson

Thanks for the reply, I was previously unaware orange receivers worked with Specktrum controllers I will take a look into the bixler. Also may I have your guys opinion on this aeroplane, since I do like a nice scale modeled plane.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...acts_Gear_Doors_1200mm_PNF_UK_Warehouse_.html

This may leave me a bit over budget. What are your guys thoughts. I know the Dx5e is 5ch and this is 6 but I read on another forum the trainer switch can be used as a binary switch too.

Also you have to remember it is extortionate to get planes in the UK, the Flyzone BNF Albatros I was looking at cost $140 in USA with free shipping but in UK it is more like £170 plus shipping on top.

Nelson

I already have a transmitter, would you recommend a scratch build, after all it is difficult to get those things shipped more importantly I don't have a glue gun (I know it is a must) do you guys have any cheap suggestions?

It's times like these where I wish I lived in America, good whether and cheap planes, with plenty of stuff to build them from without having to get it shipped.

Last edited:

Nelson

Thanks for the tips, are there any scale models, and being a good charger, I have seen similar but cheaper, why is it good, is it safer or higher current or something?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
If you can handle the Eflite UMX Mig 15, I'm sure you can handle a bigger scale plane.

The plane you linked should be fine as a 4channel. The fifth and sixth are for the flaps and lights. I don't know how necessary the flaps are for taking off or landing. But since you have a 5 channel Tx, you could just not use the lights and keep the flaps.

If you decide to scratch build, then build with depron. I hear it's really cheap and easy to get in the UK. It's different than working with Dollar Tree Foam Board (the stuff Flite Test uses). The main difference is that depron doesn't have paper on each side so it's a bit floppy. But stiffening it up by adding something to substitute the paper will work just as good as DTFB.

Scratch building might be the better option. It adds another aspect of the hobby and you can build just about anything. I think it may end up costing about the same for all of the scratch build supplies and first airframe or two as one store bought plane. But in the long run scratch building is a lot cheaper.

You don't have to build the FT planes, you can look at other RC forums and see what people made out of depron. There are a ton of free designs out there. You may find a really nice scale build of a plane you love.

Oh, and I'm not sure on the cheaper battery chargers. I've heard that some of the real cheap ones aren't worth buying, but I'm sure there are some great battery chargers that are cheaper than the one I linked. I just know that the one I linked is one of the most popular. It may be worth having a versatile one for later in the hobby. Like currently I only use 2 or 3 cell batteries, but I may get into 4 cell so I like that I have a charger already for a 4 cell battery.