• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved need help with custom elevon mixing

hello there
beware of bad English 🤣
currently i'm building a wing ( more specifically i will use the FT spear) using my nine eagles j5 pro transmitter
(sadly i crash landed the plane...) so i'm using arduino 101 in order to control the plane, but who ever knows the j5 pro, it doesnt have mixing
so i am trying to mix the channels in the arduino, but i cant figure the correct combination in order to control the servo motors,
can anyone knows what is the "formula", or just explain what are the values of mixing elevon. ive searched google on that, tried some examples but it didnt work
perhaps i dont know enough or simply missing some crucial thing...
that is the only barrier that keeps me from getting started building the plane.

thanks for your attention

p.s i will more grateful if you know the code for the "arduino elevon mixing" using simply the values 1 to 180 😁

Merv

I don’t know about arduino code so I will use transmitter settings & let you convert the ideas to code. Transmitter values typically go from +100 to -100 to represent full up and full down of a control surface. A zero value represents neutral control surface position.

For ailerons, one servo should be +100 & the other should be -100. That is one side should go up when the other should go down. If the control is reversed, swap the positive and negative values. With the elevator both servos should be +100. That is, they should both go up or down. If the elevator control is reversed, make the value-100. In your coding, you should limit the maximum servo. That is don’t let the values go higher than +100 or lower than -100.

OK, thanks for the explanation
second question
if i transmit for example ( ele = +50 & ail = -35 )
i just do simple average math or something like vector math?
because i'm able to control aileron and elevator separately but i cant mix it properly

Merv

On my transmitter (Tx) the values simply added together, then limited to the maximum servo travel. In your example 50-35=15

Another possibility, instead of using 100’s limit the values to 50. That way you can’t exceed the maximum travel.

In coding, I believe one servo will use the raw aileron input and the other will take the raw value times -1.

Last edited: