New guy to RC. Looking to build some swappables.

Hi all, I am brand new to the flite test community. In the past few days I have browsed around the site and Youtube channel in an attempt to learn.

Let me get to the point. I am looking to build a swappable (not sure if that's really a word or not) power pod. I need some assistance in picking the electronics. I've looked through the list featured on this page but I am still very confused if all of those parts will go together. Basically I need help picking parts.

I understand this is really basic stuff, but any help would be appreciated since I am brand new to the hobby.

-Greg

(Sorry if this is posted to the wrong place)

Last edited:

engineer

Hey stealthattack, welcome to the forum!
Electronics can be very confusing at the start, that's true. I looked through that link and it looks like sort of beginner setup suggestions.
The basic parts you need to fly are a prop, motor, ESC (electronic speed controller), radio receiver, radio transmitter, battery and 2-4 servos.

With electric flight, the amount of electricity that is used is based on the prop and how fast it spins. A good beginner prop for flitetest designs is an 8" x4" slow fly prop. That is 8" diameter and 4" pitch. The recommended motor is somewhere between 1200 and 1450 kV using a 3 s battery. The kV stands for "thousands of revolutions per volt" and a battery of 3s rating has a voltage of 11.1 (3.7 v per 3 cells). The prop spinning at this speed will try to pull about 15 amps I think, so the ESC needs to be able to provide that and more, so aim for 20amp. Those are most critical, and many other pieces are interchangeable.

The parts go together like this: batter connects to ESC, ESC connects to bother motor and receiver, the receiver connects to all the servos. When battery connects, receiver is powered by the ESC and distributes power to all the servos and sends signal to motor and servos.

That is a lot of info to absorb at first, if you have more questions, guys here are always really helpful!

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
That setup will work for the swappable Nutball, Delta, and ft flyer.
You will still need a battery so if you build one of these follow the suggested battery size and you will need the esc to have the same connector as the battery has. You will also need a battery charger.

glowworm

If your new to flying pick a plane that is a "Trainer" type. That means it's slow, and stable. Stay away from the Bloody Wonder, Spitfire, Mustang, Versa Wing, the 3d Flyer, and the Baby blender. Maybe start with the old fogey, or the Storch when they release it tomorrow. That plane should be a very docile trainer.

Better yet, consider buying a flight simulator, with the radio, Phoenix 5, and Real Flight sells software with a real radio, that you can use later to fly your first plane. Be careful though they also sell versions with software and a radio simulator. the radio simulator is just a controller and cannot be used to fly real rc planes. (Hint the more expensive versions of the Flight simulator, are usually the ones with the real radio)

abieex

Mentor
You just can't go wrong watching the FT beginner series. You get a pretty good overview of whats going on. I would suggest the Smash Drone cause you can't hurt the thing! Good luck and welcome.

Thanks for the info guys. I have noticed people around here are really helpful.

I am planing on doing the FT Flyer then maybe the FT Delta then the Storch if I want to. Is it possible that one of you guys could put together a list of parts that would go together. I know what parts I need, just not which specific models or specifications.

Would it be easier to go for something like this http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=SPPC002 ? It is shipped together so I assume all those parts would work with each other. But would they be alright for small foam builds like the FT Flyer?

Thanks in advanced for any input,

Greg

You just can't go wrong watching the FT beginner series. You get a pretty good overview of whats going on. I would suggest the Smash Drone cause you can't hurt the thing! Good luck and welcome.

Yes I have watched that whole series. I learned the basics I am just confused with the electronics. I'm watching them over to see what I may have missed.

glowworm

On the scratch build page, there is usually a link to an electronics package, that are based on the various plane types the FliteTest has plans for, and you would buy everything you need in a package from third party hobby stores, and it would come with the proper motor, ESC, battery, servos, and prop you would need to fly that plane. I cant remember if they come with the receiver, and I think they don't as you would buy a receiver to match your radio, but all the other electronics would go together no mater the type of receiver or transmitter you have. They even offer options like "THE BEEF" which is a stronger more powerful motor/ESC/Battery/Prop combo that would make the plane faster, or perform more aerobatics.

engineer

The link to sppc002 probably works a little better for larger than flyer but smaller than storch.
I'd choose sppc001 for flyer and delta, and something a bit larger for storch.

I'm getting a turnigy d3530 1100kv for storch w 10" props and 30amp ESC. For smashdrone I did very well with a turnigy 2830 920kv and 8" prop and 20 amp ESC. I'd suggest getting a few extra 9 g servos too.

Gryf

I started my flying experience with the Old Fogey, and used the swappable power pack, which included the Blue Wonder motor, a 20amp ESC, a 500mAH 3S battery, and an 8x4 slow-fly prop. I flew the daylights out of that plane, and the power system never failed me. In fact, I'd still be flying it if the Flite Test team hadn't autographed it at Flite Fest. ;-)

I agree, the whole power package setup idea can be a head-scratcher if you're new at this. Like me...

I used "The Beef" package on my FT Spitfire, and it worked perfectly. Then when the Spitfire died (hit power lines), I moved all the electricals over to my new FT Mustang.

All of this to say that it's helpful to start with whatever power setup is recommended for a particular model, and use that as a learning platform. Then when you read about different prop/motor/ESC/battery combinations, it should make more sense because you'll be able to relate it to what you're familiar with.

Gryf

Grauwulf

Just as a point of reference, I am currently using the 24g 1300kv motor on my Bloody Wonder and it pulls it around quite nicely. But just starting out, I would not recommend the Bloody Wonder as a first plane. Good intro plane in to bank n yank flying and basic aerobatics though.

You can always make a more powerful motor slower by running a smaller prop, restricting your throttle, or running a lower voltage battery, but once you hit the upper limits of a power package, you're kind of out of luck.

glowworm

I have the 4 channel version of that radio, and it works good. What is lacking from the Hobby King radios, is the ability to dial down the throws, or as they call it in RC the Expos. And well it doesnt have any ability to store models in memory. I was looking at buying one of these radios, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9269807304/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2VS8HDVIIQ0HN its about twice as much as the hobby king radio, and can store up to 20 models, and does all the neat stuff like throttle curve, and expo, so you can dial down the performance for learning.
Other than that it sounds like you have a good handle on it all....
Good luck

engineer

I agree with glowworm's recommendation on radio. When my dad started into the hobby he got the cheap hobbyking radio, but quickly found that it did not have much options, and that you needed to connect to a computer to change things( I guess only endpoints really). There is no expo, and expo really does improve the experience.
The flysky fs-t6 has many great functions and is programmable without other hardware and uses the same recievers as the HK does. If you look around they are as cheap as $55, and it should allow you to grow quite a lot before you'd need a fancier radio (taranis).

Drewidicus

I can also concur with the FS-T6. I am by no means an expert but I purchased that radio and it seems to work well. the price was definitely worth it. I also considered the Turnigy 9x but HK always seemed to be out of stock. But from what I understand they are comparable.