• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New pilot

dodgebob

Just bought the ft cub. I like the way it looks. Probably should have started with the tiny trainer. I will be asking many questions . Thank you in advance for your assistance.

DamoRC

Mentor
Welcome!

I haven't built the cub but if I recall correctly you might want to prop up the leading edge of the wing a little to make her easier to fly. I think that was a suggestion from @Hai-Lee ?

dodgebob

So...after gluing several pieces together the dog decides to eat my homework. Bad dog! Baaad dog. Well ive never made a foam board plane but it is easier to glue a kit than it is to cut raw foam board. The parts in the kit are really clean and straight. I bought some foam and it is not as easily cut as bixler makes it look in his videos. Kudo's to Josh's steady hand.
How much tolerance for error is acceptable . My new parts are close but not as nice as in the kit. It will be 3 channel . A true beginner. I don't want my two tone Cub to die because my lines aren't as true as the kits. Everything is fitting together with a bit of trim here and a nip there. I would assume if it's close it's ok?
How is your day going?

Bob

FDS

Close enough is OK, but things like the wing dihedral and airfoil being equal both sides, the tail and vertical stabiliser being at 90deg to each other/fuselage are flight critical as is using as little glue as possible, especially on the tail and fuselage.
Clean cuts are done with a good steel rule and very sharp cutting blades. Bevel cuts are particularly hard with anything but a totally fresh knife, you can use a steel rule set 1/4” or less back from the cut to steady the blade and make a nice true edge. Rolling exposed foam edges with an iron is a nice detail too.