New quad, no motors spinning after small crash.

ssjbardock

So I received my new Wizard X220s yesterday, and got the first sets of flights in today.

Crashed a few times with no issues besides some mud that was cleaned off while batteries recharged.

Unfortunately, after a very minor crash from a 2 foot hover, none of the motors spin now.

Everything seems to work except the motors just not spinning.

Betaflight detects all input from controller including throttle, VTX is transmitting proper I still get video, it even seems to arm (LED changes color and it beeps), but nothing from the motors.

I've taken it apart, and can't find any loose/burnt wires or anything that stood out.

I have no idea what's stopping this from working and am worried I've got a bugged drone after waiting a while for delivery.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, let me know if any specific pictures would help, and I'll add them quick as I can. Thanks again!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
If all 4 motors aren't working, I'd think it to be speed controllers or Flight controller. I know that in Betaflight, there's an option to see the RPMs of the motors (and it tells you specifically when you test this to make sure you remove your props!); if that reports that there's RPMs but the motors aren't turning, check your connections from the speed controllers out to the motors.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Do the motors twitch and beep when you plug in the battery? The way the 4-in-1 ESC connector rides on the side plate seems like a weak spot to me.

ssjbardock

If all 4 motors aren't working, I'd think it to be speed controllers or Flight controller. I know that in Betaflight, there's an option to see the RPMs of the motors (and it tells you specifically when you test this to make sure you remove your props!); if that reports that there's RPMs but the motors aren't turning, check your connections from the speed controllers out to the motors.
They don't move during the test, even with battery plugged in and armed. I'll check the connector.

Update: Connectors all snug, unplugged and replugged them all except the soldered connections, still no motor spin.

Last edited:

ssjbardock

Do the motors twitch and beep when you plug in the battery? The way the 4-in-1 ESC connector rides on the side plate seems like a weak spot to me.
They do not.
Is that what that little connector is? I'll make sure it's plugged in real snug and try again.

Update: Checked the cable, unplugged and replugged it, looked fine, still no startup wiggle or motor spin.

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I would also check the solder joints where the connectors attach to both boards, as well as the condition of the wires near both connectors. If that's all good I suspect the ESC or FC is damaged.

ssjbardock

I would also check the solder joints where the connectors attach to both boards, as well as the condition of the wires near both connectors. If that's all good I suspect the ESC or FC is damaged.

Is there any way to check if the ESC or FC is damaged in betaflight for sure, or is it more of a 'most likely' diagnostic kind of situation. Strange they would stop working after dropping 2 feet into grass.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Is there any way to check if the ESC or FC is damaged in betaflight for sure, or is it more of a 'most likely' diagnostic kind of situation. Strange they would stop working after dropping 2 feet into grass.

If you have access to an oscilloscope you can check the signal outputs to the ESC. If they look correct you can be fairly certain the ESC is faulty. If not, it's the FC. If you're like the rest of us and don't have a scope, all you can really do is swap out parts.

ssjbardock

If you have access to an oscilloscope you can check the signal outputs to the ESC. If they look correct you can be fairly certain the ESC is faulty. If not, it's the FC. If you're like the rest of us and don't have a scope, all you can really do is swap out parts.
True, and yeah I just hoped there was a way to tell without buying stuff so I can tell support exactly what I need. Gonna be harder to get them to send 2 items.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Check the wires that run from the fc to the esc. Those tiny wires are easily broken inside the jackets or at the pins with poor quality crimps.

This is one of the reasons I hard wire everything eliminating those crappy micro connectors.

Simple continuity test between the contacts on each board will confirm or rule out failure there.

Liam B

Hey i got the same issue. So what was the problem ??

Hmm. let's walk through this a bit.

Did it happen after a crash like the original poster? If so, this could mean a lot of things. Do you get normal tones when you plug in the quad? The first three beeps are the ESC and the last two show established connection with the flight controller.

If you DON'T get any tones, it is likely the battery cable not delivering power to the ESC, or, if it is delivering power, a dead ESC.

If you get the initial tones, it's likely the cable between the flight controller and ESC. Make sure its plugged in tight.

Do the motors twitch when you plug it in? If so, the ESC is likely fine.