• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help! New to Forum. Ft Egde 540 trainer?

Im a drone pilot Dji Mavic Pro is my weapon of choice. But my passion is planes. The Edge 540 has always been one of my favorite planes. I was going to scratch build the ft edge to use it as a trainer. I've never built a plane I've flown a plane once then after 15 minutes of flying the crash happened lol that was 3 years ago. I gonna see where this goes wish me luck.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I have never flown the edge but I know that it is not a beginner aircraft. It has a lot of control authority and is built for high energy 3d flying. I would suggest something like an ft tiny trainer as a first plane/trainer.

I have never flown the edge but I know that it is not a beginner aircraft. It has a lot of control authority and is built for high energy 3d flying. I would suggest something like an ft tiny trainer as a first plane/trainer.
Ketchup thanks for responding. I'm like a sponge and will take your advice. But I have to build the edge but itll just be a build that's it I wont power it till I get the necessary experience to trust myself to fly it lol. I'll look at the tiny trainer also bud thanks again. Oh question how about the simple cub?

FDS

You could build the Tiny Trainer with a flatter sport wing, instead of the suggested dihedral. That would give you better acro performance than the Cub and still gives you the relative docility of a less edgy plane than the edge 540. TT is easier to repair and modular construction makes it more adaptable.
Build light whichever way you go.

You could build the Tiny Trainer with a flatter sport wing, instead of the suggested dihedral. That would give you better acro performance than the Cub and still gives you the relative docility of a less edgy plane than the edge 540. TT is easier to repair and modular construction makes it more adaptable.
Build light whichever way you go.
I printed up the simple cub and of course I'm just going with the 3 channel model for right now. My buddy works at dollar tree so I got 25 sheets of black Adam's foam board so hopefully I can build multiple planes one of them will be the ft edge again like I mentioned before it wont be powered just yet. I have the fuselage cut out already so I'm excited. Thanks FDS for your input your highly appreciated.

Great choice on the cub over the edge! You will have much more fun learning at the correct pace. Build looks really good, good luck with the first flight :)

Nice build just make sure it balances well I hear the the black FB is heavier.
Thanks bud I had no idea that it was heavier. This is my first ever building a plane out of foamboard. I hope it doesn't bite me in butt. Thanks for that information Mayan now I'm like ohhhh crap I have 21 sheets of this stuff lol lmao 😳😳😳🙁🙁🙁