nnA-10 - design, build, and review log

Blackbeltrrf

Got my fuselage engine supports in today along with my horizontal stabilizer built and one of my Vertical stabilizers built. It is amazing how strong they are! Great work on the design Nic!. My 2nd motor that was backordered better be getting here because I am getting closer to needing it. Thank you as well Jayz for the Pod help you are providing me. I really appreciate all the support on this bird.
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1779.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG

Blackbeltrrf

More done on the A10 tonight. I have a question for you Nic or Jayz on the formers. Is there any documented location of them or do I need to just feel my way through the it.

A few pics of tonight's progress
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Looking so good! If you check the plans there are numbers on the fuse top plate. These indicate former placement.

jrfoell

Is there any detailed information (photos/video) of the nacelle build process? Maybe I just missed it skimming this thread.

Thanks Nic!

Blackbeltrrf

Further update on the A10. Been going a little slow figuring out the retracts. All figured out and have two of the three
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Blackbeltrrf

Landing gear all on. Started to work on the motors and realized I am not sure how it is designed to be assembled. Nic or Jayz is there any help and guidanance you can offer here? If not I will get it but may not be as designed. Thanks in advance.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Start with the thrust tube. The motor should sit at about a 45 degree angle when installed on the pylons so position the thrust tube to taper upward when the fan is at the correct angle. You can just tape the thrust tube in place. Use the C shape (piece 7) as a guide to know how much the tube will taper.

For the inner layer, line the edf intake up with the 50% cut. The seam of the inner layer will match up with your motor wires. Cut a small notch for them to pass through. I just tack glued the fan housing to the inner layer and then glue the seam.

The outer layer gets tack glued to the inner layer and again the seam should line up with the motor wires. The exhaust C shape gets put into place and sets the thrust angle. Remember the nacelle sits at a 45 or so, make sure you eye ball the placement on the pylon through the whole process.

The inner layer has the outside bevel so it can be glued to the outer layer and flare the intake. The outer layer bevel at the exhaust gets tack glued to the inner layer and should fold together nicely.

In your pylon you'll need to burrow a hole for the motor wires to pass through. You have to pass them through and glue the nacelle onto the pylon in on step. Use lots of glue and be ready. It will take a long time to dry. Hold firm pressure the nacelle dries on the pylon.

Getting the first nacelle on is easy, getting the second one to match the same thrust angle and ride height is the challenge. I don't have any tricks here, just take your time.

Blackbeltrrf

Thanks for the help Nic. I assembled one of the edfs tonight and am attaching some pictures to see if this looks right to you. Another question is if I need to notch it out to fit over the double thickness of foam on the mounting area.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

jrfoell

Blackbeltrrf - That looks right except I think the angled paper edge should meet the other edge to form a cone, and that cone should sit in the inside of the crescent moon shape (not the outside).

Nic - I think the nacelle "inner layer" should be cut lengthwise with the "grain" of the foam for easy shaping, yes/no? I think it's laid out opposite of the foam grain if you were just to set the 30x20 page 2 printout on a new sheet of DTFB. Not sure if that's the case, so I thought I'd ask. Great work!

Blackbeltrrf

Blackbeltrrf - That looks right except I think the angled paper edge should meet the other edge to form a cone, and that cone should sit in the inside of the crescent moon shape (not the outside).

Nic - I think the nacelle "inner layer" should be cut lengthwise with the "grain" of the foam for easy shaping, yes/no? I think it's laid out opposite of the foam grain if you were just to set the 30x20 page 2 printout on a new sheet of DTFB. Not sure if that's the case, so I thought I'd ask. Great work!

Thank you very much for the insight. That would explain the gap in the poster board. I will tear it apart and start over. Thanks again

Blackbeltrrf

Ran into a problem and not sure how to assemble the motors. Could someone help my ignorance. i assembled one but tore it apart to start over. I attached a couple of pictures with the question does the poster board go to the inside or outside of the number 7 C ring? Then when I finally mount the C ring where exactly does the middle of the opening in it radially supposed to be.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The poster board goes inside. The C ring sets a slight upward exit for the airflow coming off the EDF. You'll have to figure out where your EDF will sit in relation to the pylon to determine where the C ring will need to be placed inside the nacelle.

jrfoell

Nacelle 1st Try

I took a crack at this today just to see how I think things should go. I did some dry fitting with the EDF, poster board, tape, and the C ring:

Photo Dec 19, 2 13 40 PM.jpg

And dry fit with the inner layer w/o the C ring:

Photo Dec 19, 2 36 37 PM.jpg

After I glued and taped the inner layer seam, I pressed the C ring in the back. I purposely left the poster board thrust tube "loose" - I taped the cone shape, but I didn't tape it to the EDF so I could maneuver where it exits the rear. Then I pressed the C ring in:

Photo Dec 19, 2 38 23 PM.jpg

I glued it all together once I liked the placement:

Photo Dec 19, 4 09 28 PM.jpg

Blackbeltrrf

A little more progress with the A10. I have one of the motors completed and mounted. I am getting greatly upset with Hobby Partz for the back order of my second motor which has been since November the 8th to finish both motors.

I have the wing landing gear worked out and a few pics of how I put the retracts on. The front gear retracts are mounted but not completed yet.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Wing Landing gear
image.jpeg

Size difference from original to house gear
image.jpeg

Few pics during assembly
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

svu1334

hi nerdnic i have decided to try my hand at desining like you have your designs inspired me to do so i have a project currently and need as little help i need to know where to space my crease and 50% score lines and if i should use a box spar or regular spar and how many servos per wing :3 thanks cory :D WIN_20160110_135216.JPG WIN_20160110_135219.JPG WIN_20160110_135259.JPG WIN_20160110_135309.JPG please let me know what ya think :D

Blackbeltrrf

Help with motors

I just got word from Hobbypartz that they are no longer carrying any Dynam parts. The problem is they had sent me one EDF /ESC combo and the other was on back order. I already have one mounted but I guess I am going to have to have to get two other motors. What would be a good replacement combo for the 3s setup on the A10

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
hi nerdnic i have decided to try my hand at desining like you have your designs inspired me to do so i have a project currently and need as little help i need to know where to space my crease and 50% score lines and if i should use a box spar or regular spar and how many servos per wing :3 thanks cory :D View attachment 61270 View attachment 61271 View attachment 61272 View attachment 61273 please let me know what ya think :D

Hey there,

I'd go box spar with a wood dowel reinforcing the center. This is the cheapest way to keep your being from folding.

Have you watched my design videos? I go into some detail around making your airfoil.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I just got word from Hobbypartz that they are no longer carrying any Dynam parts. The problem is they had sent me one EDF /ESC combo and the other was on back order. I already have one mounted but I guess I am going to have to have to get two other motors. What would be a good replacement combo for the 3s setup on the A10

Did your new motors come in? How's progress?