nnChipmunk v2

shiitake

I broke my v-stab in turbulent air in full flight. It happened right in front of me and I could hear it snap! The plane started to fly sideways. Just one meter from the ground it started to fly straight again and I could more or less land. No damage except for the v-stab!

Now looking at the design in hindsight it is easy to see the weak spot when you go 200% (because the surface gets 4 times as big while the diameter only gets 2 times and of course the thickness of the foamboard stays the same as the normal sized one).
rudder.png
What I made yellow is all that really holds the v-stab

Anyway.. after a bit of bamboo and some hotglue:
2016-08-18 17.30.06 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That could have been really bad, nice job getting her down safe. Did you just use two layers of foam, no extra support on the stab?

shiitake

Nop.. no extra support. My bad :black_eyed:

How do you like the picture by the way? I think she looks so good!

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I think you did a great job man! The lines on the chip have been very appealing to me since i first saw it. It looks even better at the increased size. I still want to make a big one for myself :)

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
A few beauty shots

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Maiden will have to wait until the rain stops, which doesn't look like this weekend.

I still need to decide on this smallish motor (2830 1000) or one of my bigger ones (3536 1800).

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Great work on the build and paint! I would probably maiden with the more modest setup. Once she's dialed in them bump the power.

Good luck and keep us posted!

brian79cj

A couple shots of finished product image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
I just noticed that I put canopy on backwards. Oh well that's how I roll!

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Haha you're not the only one! I'll have to make it more obvious next time :)

Great work on the build and paint! Will you be able to get any video?

brian79cj

I will try and have wife shoot some video and then have to figure out how to post to Youtube. It's been too windy here last couple of days to maiden it yet.

Nic,
I have looked for your COG recommendation but can't seem to find it. Is it where there are 2 small circle marks on the plans?
What are your thoughts on battery and prop for maiden? I have the NTM 35/48 1100kv, 85 amp ESC. I'm thinking about working myself up to 4cell and 10x10.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yep, CG is the little dot on the wing.

F8RGLL3.png

For maiden I would go with a 3s modest setup. If there are any build issues you have to trim out then it's nice to do so without plowing the plane into the ground with a powerful setup.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Got to maiden it today at lunch! Super fun! I had a loose y-harness connection that gave me some funky wing drops during flight. Easy fix before next flight.

image.jpeg
Landed it!

Now for a bigger motor. :)

Instagram video
There are also videos that I will upload at a later date.

Great design Nic!

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I have my nnP39 setup I can try, (not sure the wings are going to safely hold up for another run).

So I can try this.
NTM 3536 1800 kv
60 amp Plush
APC 7x6
4s 2200 ASpec

At least until I can splurge on a faster set up as the RC budget allows.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
When you can afford it I would say get the NTM 3648 1100kv. It's $20 and works really well on 3s with a 10x10. You'll be around the same speed as your 1800kv on 4s but with more thrust. And then of course you can make the jump to 4s and get over 100.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
When you can afford it I would say get the NTM 3648 1100kv. It's $20 and works really well on 3s with a 10x10. You'll be around the same speed as your 1800kv on 4s but with more thrust. And then of course you can make the jump to 4s and get over 100.

They are on my list for next month, along with an 80 amp Dynam.