nnCorsair - 2200mm BUILD

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
So eager to see this fly! Nic, are you going to Flite Fest East? Would this ship go?

Unfortunately I won’t be at FFEast this year. However, I will be at FFTexas! And you better believe I’m bringing the Corsair haha.

That is awesome on the weight. You planning on hunting thermals with this thing?

You may be surprised with how much prop clearance you have. Remember... that is why the Corsair had the gull wing in the first place. To give it room room to swing that huge 13ft prop without hitting the deck! I think the 20" may still be able to strike but if you set a break on the esc you might reduce the risk a bit. $8 a prop isn't bad for this size either if the worst happens.

I’m gonna try to measure today. My bench is occupied with my Rascal CNC at the moment and it doesn’t give me much room to maneuver the monstrosity around.

And thermal hunting, you’re funny 😂

FOGeologist

What the heck's a "Flite Fest Texas?" This sounds like it's closer to Colorado than Ohio.

When will this affair be?

Oh, and I doubt Wilmracer was joking about thermals - that Corsair might be able to sail heavenward on them, as it will be light as a feather.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
And thermal hunting, you’re funny 😂

TBH I'm only partially joking. That's a cube loading of 3.8.

For comparison the Radian has an advertised cube loading of 4.1 using the factory estimated AUW of 31oz.

You may be fighting the wind quite a bit but she's light enough for sure.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I think I'll be around 7lb for maiden, so even lighter than your scenario! I think It's going to look so sweet seeing a huge corsair float around, but also have the power to muscle around too.

Wow! That's a lot lighter than I would have expected for this substantial bird - nice building!

Can't wait to fly it!

Can't wait to see it fly.

@FOGeologist - Flite Fest Texas is on at the beginning of November.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
TBH I'm only partially joking. That's a cube loading of 3.8.

For comparison the Radian has an advertised cube loading of 4.1 using the factory estimated AUW of 31oz.

You may be fighting the wind quite a bit but she's light enough for sure.

Oh dang, that’s crazy! I get the importance and implication of the wing loading, but I can’t wrap my head around something this big flying like a Radian lol.

Wow! That's a lot lighter than I would have expected for this substantial bird - nice building!

Can't wait to see it fly.

@FOGeologist - Flite Fest Texas is on at the beginning of November.

Will you be coming also?

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
The 20 inch wood prop looks a great deal better than the unsightly 15 inch APC. Plus, the wood just adds that extra bit of aesthetic appeal. The build's looking awesome!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Sorry - I meant see it fly in the various videos that I am sure it will feature in. No Texas trip for me. :(

DamoRC

Ah okay, we’ll see about that haha.
The 20 inch wood prop looks a great deal better than the unsightly 15 inch APC. Plus, the wood just adds that extra bit of aesthetic appeal. The build's looking awesome!

Thanks! It’s one of those blunt nose style too, so there’s is significantly more surface area on the wood prop for its size.

I’m gonna try to run it up soon to verify amp draw on 4s. I might have to limit the throttle if it pulls too much.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I've been getting everything ready for FFTX. I'm still planning to maiden my Corsair at the event if all goes well. I sanded all the foam edges to give a nice curve and better look. It's been raining a lot so I minwaxed the paper and that should protect it from any moisture for now.

ck6jwKAl.jpg

SEniC6pl.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Watching the live stream of the landing I thought for sure everyone was going to need a change of shorts afterwards! That was some excellent piloting! :D