nnCorsair - 2200mm BUILD

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Heh, I won't get that kind of speed on this one. I'm honestly not sure what to expect yet, but maybe in the ballpark of 50?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Tail is all closed up now. I still have to shape the foam a little more, but I like how it’s turning out so far.

hMqlAZ6l.jpg

LBLLds9l.jpg

jamboree1

One has no idea how big this thing is until we see your arm in the pics. Call me nuts but a surefire way to get better CG is to put in a bigger and heavier motor. :p

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I don't know if it will get any decoration before the maiden. I have been throwing around the idea of stripping all the paper off and doing a layer of brown paper and polycrylic. This would keep it preserved over the years, and allow me to smooth out some of the imperfections. But it's a lot of effort and I really want to make sure it performs well in the air first.

I haven't made any more progress on the plane yet, but I ordered a new prop. Earlier I mentioned that my motor is rated for 6s but I don't have enough 6s batteries to make that work, so i'll be flying with 4s instead. The motor is an NTM 5050 580kv and rated at 2000w with a 15x8 APC on 6s. The 15in prop is just barely big enough for this plane and I think it would work okay, however, since I'm using 4s and not 6s, I should be able to get away with a BIGGER prop.

Enter the 20x6. I picked this up from HobbyKing for $8 and it should work a lot better. You can see it here next to the 15x8 for size comparison.
IMG_1037.jpg

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
YES!!

Lower voltage? NO PROBLEM. MOAR PROP. XD

On the plus side, with a bigger prop turning slower you'll be quieter (more friendly), and make more efficient thrust, giving you (probably) longer flight times. :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I’m always a fan of a bigger prop. Only down side is now my chance of prop strike is greater.. hmm, I really should think about adding fixed gear to this thing.

What do you guys think?

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I’m always a fan of a bigger prop. Only down side is now my chance of prop strike is greater.. hmm, I really should think about adding fixed gear to this thing.

What do you guys think?

It is a tough call... To my eyes fixed gear on a warbird that had a retractable undercarriage throws off the lines in the air. On the other hand retracts, and rotating ones at that, can be a huge PITA, particularly if you have to re-engineer any of your already built wing to get them in and add support. She will likely be a floater so you may be able to get away with a set of retracts from a much smaller model, swap out the struts for longer wire, and make some light foam wheels, but that could be a lot of work. The corsair will land on those gull wings and, like the full scale, that will give you a bit more prop clearance... If you think you can hand launch it may be best to just leave the gear off.

wilmracer

Mentor
Whats the AUW looking like right now? We should be able to do some back-of-the-napkin ballparking based on approximate wing area and get some idea of wing loading and stall speed...

On edit: Looks like this has the same span as the top flight gold edition giant scale. I know the wing design is slightly different but we can use that as a good reference for wing area. That model has 1376 sq.in. of wing area and is advertised between 360-400oz AUW. That's between about 37.7-42oz/sq.ft. standard wing loading and 12.2 - 13.5 cube loading... very reasonable for a warbird.

It wouldn't surprise me if your model came in at 160-190oz... maybe even less. That puts the standard wing loading between 16.7-19.9oz/sq.ft and cube loading between 5.5 and 6.5. Cube loading that low is the realm of trainers and parkflyers and half the cube loading of my P-40. I think this will slow WAY down and land light for you. You can't do flaps since you'd be landing on them, but I don't think you were planning them. I'd just put some protective material over the gull section and put her down gently :)

Might think about putting a good hand-hold location with a bit of sand paper glued to it for more throwing grip to hand launch, and you'll probably want a buddy to launch it, but should be good :)

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I feel like there's a pun here.

Fantastic!
1530232098605.png

Whats the AUW looking like right now?
I think I'll be around 7lb for maiden, so even lighter than your scenario! I think It's going to look so sweet seeing a huge corsair float around, but also have the power to muscle around too. Can't wait to fly it!

I'll make sure to add reinforcement to the bottom of the wing though, that's a good idea. Adding the gear would purely be an attempt to save the prop. However, I'm not even sure how much clearance I do/don't have... I guess I should figure that out first :p

wilmracer

Mentor
However, I'm not even sure how much clearance I do/don't have... I guess I should figure that out first :p

That is awesome on the weight. You planning on hunting thermals with this thing?

You may be surprised with how much prop clearance you have. Remember... that is why the Corsair had the gull wing in the first place. To give it room room to swing that huge 13ft prop without hitting the deck! I think the 20" may still be able to strike but if you set a break on the esc you might reduce the risk a bit. $8 a prop isn't bad for this size either if the worst happens.