nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Looks so good! I see you're building from the old plans, though. Make sure to double check your CG as I moved it forward in the latest plans.

I'll be building from the V1 plans. Had them printed when you first released them. Any major issues I need to look out for?

Posted this question in the nnA-10 thread a few days ago:

"Nic,

Any plans for a V2 of the nnA-10, with a hatch, build video and kits?"

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I updated the wing so it builds different (easier) and moved CG. I'd say it's probably worth it to re print the wing plans at this point.

Are you asking about a v2 MiG or A-10?

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I updated the wing so it builds different (easier) and moved CG. I'd say it's probably worth it to re print the wing plans at this point.

Are you asking about a v2 MiG or A-10?

Okay, I will send the latest version of the Mig 3 plans to the print shop before I start the build. I was asking if there were plans for a V2 A-10 with a hatch, kits and build video.

Last edited:

Hell2Go

My son is once again resurrecting my nnMig3... this time he's putting my turnigy 4240-1300kv on it! prop test data says 2100gr of thrust with a 10x5 and a 4 cell... he wants to run a 8x8 with a 6 cell on it! that calculates to 218mph pitch speed! or 145mph on a 4s... has anyone tried this motor with a 6s?

Hell2Go

I think we need a real 6s, we series 2 3cell 1300s to make a 6cell and tested wit an 8x6 prop... wasn't any faster... I don't know, maybe we are just hitting the terminal velocity of the airframe, and just can't get it faster?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
You flew it with a 8x6 on 1300kv and a 6s battery? It should definitely have been faster. What batteries did you use? Just to check the obvious, they were series and not parallel??

jpot1

Elite member
Thinking of building this with the basic wing. I see the two tapered spars but how do these work when the dihedral is added? Is there a measurement for the height of the wingtips when the center section is flat on the table?

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
Didn't find any reference for the standard wing build so I thought I'd share my build process.

1. Cut out both wings, making sure to flip the plans. Although the plans do not show it, you will need to remove the paper and melt some foam on the top of the wing so the wing will meet the tapered spars.

IMG_0288.JPG

2. Join the bottom of the wings as per FT norms - tape on one side, bead of glue, wipe off excess. I then installed the spars and servos. I was concerned about the center where the spars meet so I added some popsicle stick reinforcement. Was undecided about landing gear so I went ahead and added pieces of paint stick. In retrospect probably should have continued it between the spars as well.

IMG_0289.JPG

3. Fold over and glue like a normal FT wing - LE, spars, servo top, etc...

IMG_0291.JPG

4. Made my own dihedral gauge with a 5 cm height.

IMG_0292.JPG

5. Finished product!

IMG_0293.JPG

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Didn't find any reference for the standard wing build so I thought I'd share my build process.

1. Cut out both wings, making sure to flip the plans. Although the plans do not show it, you will need to remove the paper and melt some foam on the top of the wing so the wing will meet the tapered spars.

View attachment 76367

2. Join the bottom of the wings as per FT norms - tape on one side, bead of glue, wipe off excess. I then installed the spars and servos. I was concerned about the center where the spars meet so I added some popsicle stick reinforcement. Was undecided about landing gear so I went ahead and added pieces of paint stick. In retrospect probably should have continued it between the spars as well.

View attachment 76368

3. Fold over and glue like a normal FT wing - LE, spars, servo top, etc...

View attachment 76369

4. Made my own dihedral gauge with a 5 cm height.

View attachment 76370

5. Finished product!

View attachment 76371

Great job on the walk through! Have you finished your build yet?

jpot1

Elite member
Almost done. Hope to maiden this weekend and if all goes well add the rest of the decals. I realized too late that the 1.4 versions don't include the extra wing cut out. This causes the scoop to not sit flush as the trailing edge of the wing gets in the way. Will belly land for the maiden anyway so I have left it off for now.

Great design and build - thank you!

IMG_0300.JPG

jpot1

Elite member
Looks very clean! Can you elaborate on what's missing in 1.4?

Turns out had more time than anticipated this afternoon, so this happened.

IMG_0301.JPG

Regarding the 1.4 version of the plans. When I mounted the wing the trailing edge was not flush with the fuse. It certainly could have been something wrong that I did but prior versions of the plans seemed to have green lines indicating additional areas to cut out for the basic wing. Depth in the picture is not great so I'm basically raised up by 5mm.

IMG_0302.JPG

As a result the scoop doesn't sit flush. I will either cut triangular pieces to fill the gaps or re-cut the scoop.

IMG_0303.JPG

planebreaker2000

Jpot

I didn't see your question. I mounted the landing gear like the FT mustang. A 1.5" x 2" piece of whatever you got paint stick, bass wood, lite ply, goes in the wing right next to the spar for strength. I usually remember to do this before closing up the wing, but if I don't a flap can be cut open afterward and the piece of wood can be glued in and the glue the flap shut. I sometimes put a little triangle of foam to help keep the gear from being too wobbly. This is a different plane, but same idea.

hellcat 5.jpg hellcat 6.jpg hellcat 7.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Turns out had more time than anticipated this afternoon, so this happened.

View attachment 76441

Regarding the 1.4 version of the plans. When I mounted the wing the trailing edge was not flush with the fuse. It certainly could have been something wrong that I did but prior versions of the plans seemed to have green lines indicating additional areas to cut out for the basic wing. Depth in the picture is not great so I'm basically raised up by 5mm.

View attachment 76442

As a result the scoop doesn't sit flush. I will either cut triangular pieces to fill the gaps or re-cut the scoop.

View attachment 76443
Ah okay I see. The plane was originally designed for the speed wing and then I added the basic wing later. The cutout is off a but it seems. I'm planning a v2 and I'll get it cleaned up then.

The way your wing sits right now you might need some elevator down trim as your aoa is slightly positive. Should still fly fine, but just be aware :)

jpot1

Elite member
Wow, wow, wow. No video but was able to maiden this morning. I am still new to flying so this was by far the fastest FT style plane I have flown. Flew beautifully and just felt different in particular in the turns, smoother somehow. Time to add some landing gear. Thanks nerdnic!

My hatch did come off at launch. For those that did a hatch mod, what are you using to hold it in?

Last edited: