nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Just saw a mini nnMig on Periscope. (also Mustang and Corsair)
Very cool.

Capture nnmig3 mini.JPG

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I'd think that it would. It seems like they're building an armada of power pack B sized warbirds though. The corsair, the mustang, and the MiG have all been seen in the size range. It'll be nice for the park fliers, but I'm starting to like bigger airplanes now and I have the space to fly them. The MiG and Corsair are definitely on my build list, right underneath the Valkyrie (just finishing it up now) Tommy's PT-19, and my Build off Corsair. My Christen Eagle II might be in there somewhere too, if it ever gets out of development hell.

dgrigor02

Nerdnic, when the full sized gets released do you happen to know if will it be the more a typical ft like wing or your more advanced fast wing with the wide bevel cuts ?

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The wing is more sleek than the standard ft wing but it doesn't have the bevels like my speed wing.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Some of pics of my nnMig3 before maiden.
IMG_5547.JPG IMG_5546.JPG IMG_5542.JPG

The maiden was hairy, and resulted in a gentle nose in and a little crumpled front nose pan. Two drops of hot glue fixed it up. It wanted to keep turning left (aileron turn), I assume from the motor torque, which made keeping it airborne and landing it a challenge. I have it ready to go again, just need to add some right thrust to the motor next time I get a chance to fly it.

some stats (I also use this pod for Dusty & Bloody Wonder)
NTM 2826 1200kV
25 amp ESC HK
9x6 APC
3s 1000mah 35c zippy (yes, it balanced nicely with it)
9g servos

I wonder if a heavier battery would help with the torque roll? or place a battery on the right wing like a fuel tank (ha)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Right thrust might help but the roll is more likely due to your wing. Do a quick measure, is the poly the same at both wing tips? My last nnMiG 3 had a hard roll issue because of this. It took a large amount of trim to fix.

shiitake

Right thrust might help but the roll is more likely due to your wing. Do a quick measure, is the poly the same at both wing tips? My last nnMiG 3 had a hard roll issue because of this. It took a large amount of trim to fix.

To me it looks like there is no dihedral/polyhedral at BridgeInspector's nnMig3 at all? Or am I wrong.
The paintjob is awesome by the way!

Last edited:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
BridgeInspector,

She's beautiful!

Thanks!

I will check, It is possible as it did come unglued in the heat of the day at FliteFest with the free FT glue I tried (that I found out later they were not happy with, DUH!)

To me it looks like there is no dihedral/polyhedral at BridgeInspector's nnMig3 at all? Or am I wrong.
The paintjob is awesome by the way!

There is dihedral, just doesn't show well in those photos, but it could be off as NerdNic mentioned.
and Thanks!

Last edited:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
If your having trouble getting asleep, I didn't edit out the tiny plane shaped dot moving about the sky for 10+ mins. Glad to have this one flying well now.

jamboree1

If your having trouble getting asleep, I didn't edit out the tiny plane shaped dot moving about the sky for 10+ mins. Glad to have this one flying well now.

Looks sweet, add some right thrust to the motor mount and you'll be golden and get your trims back to neutral, i prefer to use electrical spade connectors as shims as you just gut off the ends, loosen motor mount screw and slide them in. I recommend you start with 2 shims. If you climb too much under full throttle, add some down shim too.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
looks like one great project building im laying off until i can get my tiger moth and sportster done but great job look forward to building this one

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Just a heads up, the Tacon 10 is back in stock at hobbypartz. So if you've been waiting to pick one up nows your chance!

planebreaker2000

I got the nnMig 3 done at 115%.

nnmig3 1.jpg nnmig3 2.jpg

It comes in at 31 oz with a 3300Mah 3s and a power 15 swinging a 11x8.

Haven't maidened yet. Too much wind, but taxi tests and hop ups look good.

I got my Nerdnic speed build kit ordered and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Looks so good! I see you're building from the old plans, though. Make sure to double check your CG as I moved it forward in the latest plans.